Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
2004 Dolphin - having some problems

I have just purchased a 2004 Dolphin - love it, but having a few problems that maybe some of you can help me out on.

- house batteries are not being charged when engine running

- rear slide makes a very loud squeal in the 1st 1 1/2' of travel, I have tried spray lubricant, and bearing grease.. still squeals (very loud)

- fresh water pump runs on every few seconds, no sign of leaks at any of the faucets.. no sign of leaks behind the valve panel or the pump. And the hot water tank is now removed and bypassed and the pump still runs on.

Any ideas are most appreciated, thanks.
keninvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #2

To your water pump issue, ours did the same thing. The technician told us it was a worn-out seal that allowed air to get into the system--the pump runs every so often when it detects the drop in pressure.
The Incorrigible Dirigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incorrigible Dirigible View Post
To your water pump issue, ours did the same thing. The technician told us it was a worn-out seal that allowed air to get into the system--the pump runs every so often when it detects the drop in pressure.
A worn out seal in the pump? Is there a rebuild kit for these pumps?
(thanks for the reply)
Old 10-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I had the same problem with my bedroom slide until I used what WSRG suggested, and that was to use 'carnuba' wax on the bottom of the slide. I bought some Mothers Carnuba wax and applied it to the bottom of the slide. Now it's quiet. What a relief!
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding your slide squeal; I have a 2004 Dolphin also. I found that where the rod that goes through the metal plate in the basement area, the square tubing that turns the gears, it was rubbing on the hole that was cut too small. I disconnected the rod and ground out the hole for enough clearance and cured the problem. It had cut a groove in the rod, so welded it over and ground it smooth. This was causing a loud squeal, scraping sound. Don't know if is your problem, but worth a look.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post
Regarding your slide squeal; I have a 2004 Dolphin also. I found that where the rod that goes through the metal plate in the basement area, the square tubing that turns the gears, it was rubbing on the hole that was cut too small. I disconnected the rod and ground out the hole for enough clearance and cured the problem. It had cut a groove in the rod, so welded it over and ground it smooth. This was causing a loud squeal, scraping sound. Don't know if is your problem, but worth a look.
Alleyman, it sounds like you are talking about the living rm slide - the bedroom slide is the one making the loud squealing noise, it is a different system. Correct me if I am wrong, thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninvic View Post
A worn out seal in the pump? Is there a rebuild kit for these pumps?
(thanks for the reply)
Not certain; depends on the manufacturer, I'd imagine.
The Incorrigible Dirigible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
(squeal) Run the slide out and clean the bottom and sides and the seals then wax the bottom and sides with a good paste wax. (waterpump) It sound like the check valve in the pump is leaking and letting the presure leak back into the tank. You can either rebuild the pump and yes they do sell a kit or what I did was put a check valve on the inlet side of the pump.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #9

My experiences:
- Water pump would "burp" every few minutes. Replaced pump. Same condition. The problem turned out to the 3-way valve that selects fill tank or city connect. It had a slight leak. Replaced valve and all is well. (Actually, I did a major replumb job behind the panel-see my old post for details.)

- Bedroom slide out. Check the condition of the worm gear in the drive. Are the teeth worn or missing? Mine got so bad I had to totally replace the unit at great $$$.

- Charging. Can't help on that other than do a full electrical check-out. Do you have the 12v schematics? They are available on line.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
My experiences:
- Water pump would "burp" every few minutes. Replaced pump. Same condition. The problem turned out to the 3-way valve that selects fill tank or city connect. It had a slight leak. Replaced valve and all is well. (Actually, I did a major replumb job behind the panel-see my old post for details.)

Thanks, I ordered a Watts B-6780 1/2" diverter valve today.

- Bedroom slide out. Check the condition of the worm gear in the drive. Are the teeth worn or missing? Mine got so bad I had to totally replace the unit at great $$$.

The worm gear does have teeth that are uniformly flattened off - i.e. not symmetrically round - is this normal? all the teeth are identical. The slide only makes noise for the last foot and a bit, just as it starts to open, or just before it closes.

- Charging. Can't help on that other than do a full electrical check-out. Do you have the 12v schematics? They are available on line.
Schematics are not very clear - maybe somone has a bigger jpg file.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #11

If the slide gears look good and the binding is at a certain place, there may be an alignment problem. My slide needed adjustment after installation of the new drive motor. One corner was not flush on the outside when closed.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I have just purchased a 2004 Dolphin - love it, but having a few problems that maybe some of you can help me out on.

- rear slide makes a very loud squeal in the 1st 1 1/2' of travel, I have tried spray lubricant, and bearing grease.. still squeals (very loud)

- fresh water pump runs on every few seconds, no sign of leaks at any of the faucets.. no sign of leaks behind the valve panel or the pump. And the hot water tank is now removed and bypassed and the pump still runs on.

Ken,
- House batteries need to be checked for a.Water level, only use Distilled water, then b. Specific Gravity, all the cells in one battery should be at same level vis a vis Spec/Gravity. If not, they need to be Equalized, (you can do a seach here and/or on the RV.Net forum.
- Rear bedroom slide, had the same high pitch squeal, put silicon spray lub on all the white nylon guide/gliders. Problem gone. Carnuba on outside bottom where rollers glide I learned here a few days ago. On my to do list, I cleaned and waxed my under slide surfaces already, but will redo with Carnuba Mothers Wax.
- Water pump intermitent: just other suggestions, need to correct mine aswell. It's usually the backflow valve they say.
Enjoy, Edouard.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:

- fresh water pump runs on every few seconds, no sign of leaks at any of the faucets.. no sign of leak behind the valve panel or the pump. And the hot water tank is now removed and bypassed and the pump still runs on.

In regards to the house batteries not charging... I found a blown 1 AMP fuse on the DC Control board. I purchased another 1 Amp fuse but in looking at the schematic it looks like F32 should be a 3 Amp fuse. Can someone confirm this .. 1 or 3 amp? (replacing the fuse fixed the problem, house batteries are now being charged from the alternator)
Old 10-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #14

According to my 2005 Owner's Guide for Workhorse chassis, F32 is 3 amp. It is labeled "Ckt Brd" and "Coach Bat".

I am not having much success with house battery life. I have one battery 2 years old and another 1 year old, and they drop to below 12 v combined within 15 minutes of putting any load on them. I bought a good multi-stage charger this week and put it on them, and it was registering over 15 volts much of the time doing a "de-sulfation" charge. It finally leveled off and showed charge complete after about 20 hours total. I wonder if my batteries will be salvaged? Since we are hooked up most of the time, I think the Xantrex charger is not providing an equalizing charge because I do not have the option to activate it according to the manual. What do others do do maintain their batteries properly?
(edit) I found an answer by reading the Xantrex manual again. I need the optional remote control panel to be able to activate the equalizing option. What a bummer. NRV saved $120 by not putting in the RC panel, but guaranteed poor battery life in doing so, because all references say an eq. charge needs to be done regularl. The Xantrex inverter has the capability to do an equalization charge via the remote only. $120 at Gander Mountain and another $30 for the battery temperature monitor. I see a project ahead.