Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
2004 Dolphin-major shower leak

Water pours outside underneath RV from the shower and it's definitely coming from the shower drain pipe. No inside leaks. It does not make it into the grey water tank. How can I locate the source, which I suspect is a broken or loose drain pipe? I have rolled underneath and cannot see any drain pipes, and the water comes down around from many areas when I run the shower. Kitchen sink appears to make it to tank, but shower does not. I haven't found a diagram that shows how to gain access underneath. Appreciate any advice on finding/fixing this problem? I have looked inside the shower drain and no evidence of direct leak from around drain itself.
2004 Dolphin 5355
Wildabeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Is the shower on the drivers side?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I was able to access my shower drain from a small panel in the bedroom behind the sliding door. It was held by 4 screws and was just a square about 12x12 cutout in the plywood wall. It was tight but accessable. The shower has a trap but dumps directly into the top of the grey tank so It's not accessable from anywhere else.

Depending on your layout check the other side of any walls the shower is on. The panel could be in a closet, behind a drawer or kitchen cupboard.

Good luck.
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would open whichever hatch door is closest to that shower and start there.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Yes, shower is located on drivers side.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Thanks, I will start looking for an inside access.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildabeest View Post
Thanks, I will start looking for an inside access.

There will be molded possibly black covers screwed in place. They could be hard to remove because of sealant or grey foam used to seal it off.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Altho, I still can't visualize it, it appears the leak is coming from the pipe where the bathroom sink and shower merge into one. I can see pipes entering tank but no leaks there. The leak occurs when water goes down bathroom sink or shower drain. All of the water leaks from underneath onto the ground, primarily from the center, just in front of rear tires Since I can see the upper portion of the main pipe going through the cabinet, should I remove the bottom of lower sink cabinet and see if it can be accessed under there? It is a corner shower with sink to the left.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your model is different than mine maybe some pictures of the area might help.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
For the Dolphin 5342, you may be able to see just a bit under the shower if you remove and push aside the 12 Volt breaker panel below the AC breaker panel. You need lots of light, maybe even a mirror, but you might see where the leak is. I saw pictures of the same model in an add once and it had a grill at the base of the shower that was hardly noticeable. The only reason I could see it was there was to get access under the shower for a repair. I was told once when winterizing the RV plumbing with RV plumbing antifreeze, put lots in the shower drain as it is the hardest to repair if it gets damaged by freezing.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the ideas, will let you know what works. You guys are all the best!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Common issue back in 2003 at NRV at least in driver side bath/showers like in model 5342. The J trap and adapter directly under shower drain fitting, fractures due coach movement and insufficient strain relief. Mine broke on first shake down trip out of the factory. Access to it was very tight and via the panel opening under the AC electrical panel. At the time I don't recall the bath sink contributing to the leakage. But that may be because I repaired it pretty quick. My temporary fix was an HD rubber plumbing coupling with 2 spiral type clamps. The fix has been there now for 14 years.

I recall that the working space was tight and I could only get to it with one hand.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
For the Dolphin 5342, you may be able to see just a bit under the shower if you remove and push aside the 12 Volt breaker panel below the AC breaker panel. You need lots of light, maybe even a mirror, but you might see where the leak is. I saw pictures of the same model in an add once and it had a grill at the base of the shower that was hardly noticeable. The only reason I could see it was there was to get access under the shower for a repair. I was told once when winterizing the RV plumbing with RV plumbing antifreeze, put lots in the shower drain as it is the hardest to repair if it gets damaged by freezing.

Greg he has the same floor plan as your current coach just a different model #.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
OK, thanks Larry. All the best in the New Year to you and Family.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, leak, shower