RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #1

I have a 2004 Dolphin and I tow a Honda Element.I was wondering if the tow limits are different and say a 2002, 2003 model Dolphin? I ask this because I saw a Dolphin yesterday and it was towing a Toyota Tundra?

G. SEEFIELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #2

I have a 2004 Dolphin and I tow a Honda Element.I was wondering if the tow limits are different and say a 2002, 2003 model Dolphin? I ask this because I saw a Dolphin yesterday and it was towing a Toyota Tundra?

G. SEEFIELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Limits will vary from model to model. What chassis do you have? I know a W22 will have less limits than a W24. I'm sure Ford will have there differences as well. The safest way to know is to find the sheet in the Motor home. I think you'll be safe towing your Honda under almost any circumstance.
I think a Tundra would stretching it. We have a 2005 Dolphin 5376. The hitch is only rated for 5,000lbs but you still have to factor in total weight for both coach and tow car. There are plenty of resources online that can help explain it in detail.
Try this site for some great stuff
http://www.klenger.net/RV_Gene...g_Weights/index.html

Here's something that might help

Gross Combination Weight (GCW)
- Total weight of a fully equipped truck and trailer with cargo, driver, and passengers, fuel, coolant, equipment, etc.

Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR)
- Maximum allowable gross combination weight

Gross Trailer Weight (GTW)
- The weight of the trailer plus all the cargo in it. This is measured by putting a fully loaded trailer on a scale.

Gross Trailer Weight Rating (GTWR)
- Maximum allowable weight of the trailer, plus its cargo.

Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)
- The total weight of the tow vehicle, including driver, passengers, and any special equipment (options, accessories and upfitted equipment), cargo, fuel, collant, etc.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
- The maximum allowable total weight of the tow vehicle, including driver, passengers, any special equipment (options, accessories and upfitted equipment), cargo, fuel, coolant, etc.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #4

Mine is a 2001....33 footer. At the time, it was the "shortest" Dolphin. It has no frame extentions (like the larger models) and only 1 slideout. Therefore, I could load it just about as I pleased...towing a 3000 pound car with no problems. I've heard of some really large gassers...(like 36-38 ft?) with more than one slide...and a fairly long frame extention...that can only carry something like 700 pounds of "stuff"....let the buyer beware, I guess. Research, research, research...and ignore the salesman...who will tell you just about anything.
I have seen...and spoken to a guy with a 36 foot(?)(gasser) Bounder who was towing a full sized Chevy Silverado pickup. KNOWING it was somewhat (way) over the towing limit of his motorhome,I asked him about it. He said..."so...if I blow the transmission, I'll get another". His stuff, his money. Some guys just don't care. Fine with me.
I'd guess your unit is basically the same as mine....a 5000 pound towning limit. If so...you're not quite there yet. WHAT car...automatic transmission (a bit limited, but out there, we have a 2007 ChevyHHR that does just fine....4 down) you want a dolly? That figures into the 5000 pound weight limit...No matter what, a dolly will go for about 2500 bucks + registration and tags...and if you want to tow 4 down, after you find a car, the baseplate, towing bar, etc. will set you back around 800.
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't want the legal ramifications of getting in to an accident while being overloaded and towing an over weight toad behind me. I'll stick to the rules. I have a 37.5 foot Dolphin on a W24. I tow a 07 Wrangler. I've had the whole rig weighed to be sure I'm not leaving myself open for a legal problem down the road.

To the original poster: Find your sticker in the coach and make sure you are within legal limits.
Just my 2 cents worth
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #6

Well, I guess there are smart rational folks and then there are ....?
My W22 says 4000# tow limit up to GCVW which is 26,000k. I don't know of any gassers that have much more capacity. Yet I have seen full size pickups and even Tahoe SUVs behind gassers. They may be OK as long as nothing is stressed. But then these same guys pass me at 70 mph. I just give them plenty of clearance.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:38 AM   #7

Two 2 go: As they pass you at 70...make sure they STAY in front of you!

jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote