Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #15

That little cover on top of the dash... Mine was lifting the velcro off the plastic like you said about your dash velcro. I put a piece of scotch tape 1/2 way covering each strip so it wasn't as hard to remove the cover.

If you can feel the boards or whatever, shove a coat hanger down there while you are banging on the dash and see if the noise changes.

And yeah, it could be a can of worms. Too bad National is not around anymore. Good luck.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #16

If mine is a 1311 (31' 8") where did they add the length on yours (assuming you are 34'+)?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
How about driving and having your DW push on things until the noise goes away or get loader?

You said you looked at everything and 'it looks tight'. I have found a 1/4 turn on a screw or bolt can make all the difference.

Good Luck!
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I really appreciate the update, thanks.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Same unit

I too have a 2004 SB 1341, I have been dealing with dash noises since the day I got it. I have a similar rattle in the left corner of the dash as you describe, but I only here it on particularly offending pot holes and expansion joints. The ones that bother me are the constant "squeaks, clicks and chatters" that go on while riding on reasonably smooth roads, in that regard I have made much success with using small strips of weather stripping, I bought the thinnest narrowest I could find and removed the dash clusters and put the stripping behind them and reinstalled. I also put pieces between the bottom edge of the dash and the screws that tie them to small steel brackets for support. Replace several of the screw that do not have a fastening device behind them with small machine screws and nuts to accomplish a tight connection, many of the dash insert screws are self tapping into the plastic dash, fine for initial installation, but rarely accomplish a tight fit on reinstallation. I have looked under dash and know exactly what 2x4's you are talking about, I considered a long screw through top of dash to those, but thought I would likely not accomplish anything, also considered trying to get some double sided tape in there somehow.

I have a much quieter dash now, but still a couple of offending squeaks. Maybe the silicone spray is the simplest way. Of course smooth roads would be a better solution!

Good luck
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #20

OK, so here we go.....today I started by unscrewing the 10 or so screws near the wind shield.....I stuck my hand through the access panel and lifted the back up slightly and tapped and could definitely hear something inside the panel....I stuck my iphone in the access panel and found that the holes in the top of the dash panel are not open to the area below....there is a bottom to it so it is possible something got through the hole in top and was lodged in the lower part.....I help up the left side and tapped and could hear it sliding to the right as I did....I plugged up one of the middle holes and when I didn't hear it sliding anymore, I peeked in.....TADA!!.....below is what I took out with my little extraction tool...my best guess is that it's a dog treat from the previous owner who did have a little dog.....at least that's what it seems like it is....so, I screwed it all back together and it still makes some noise when I tap on it but doesn't seem to be as bad as before.....there could possible be something else caught in the bottom but I think to really check it all out, you'd have to take it all off and I'm not ready for that project just yet.....hopefully at least this makes it more tolerable.....thanks to all for the suggestions and ideas......sorry I couldn't shed much light on things but if I decide to pull it all down in the winter, I'll make sure to document it all.......now I'm off to see what else I need to fix before our trip in a couple weeks....hopefully nothing major!!.......everybody stay safe and happy travels!!........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	43499   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	43500  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	43501  
Old 08-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #21

That is definitely a dog treat. Sadie would love that. Can you email it to me. Hope it fixed your rattle.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
It is possible to remove the dash if that is required in the future. I removed my Dolphin dash a couple of months ago. It is very similar to yours. To remove it , the center instrument panel, 2 side switch panels including radio & heat controls & back up monitor need removing. It's not as bad as it sounds as there are large "master plugs" that can be disconnected to allow their removal so no dis-connection of individual switches is required. All the dash air vents need to be disconnected from the air hoses behind the dash. Easy, once you see how they connect when viewed from behind thru openings after instrument & switch dash panels are removed. There is one, maybe 2 support braces under dash, remove the screw to each plus all the screws along windshield & a screw thru dash into the wall on drivers side. There are 2 large flexible hoses fastened & silicon sealed the the windshield vents under the dash. I didn't want to dis-connect these. So at this point I lifted one side of the dash as high as possible and stood a piece of 2x4,maybe 16 to 18" long under that end to prop it up, then another on the other side to hold it up. With the dash panel elevated 18", I had excellent access to everything under it. This may have taken 2 hours to do , same to re-assemble.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
That is definitely a dog treat. Sadie would love that. Can you email it to me. Hope it fixed your rattle.
LOL !!

Never ever get your dog angry with you while RV'ing !!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #24

Hey Gregory...thanks for the insight and to everyone else that chimed in....pretty much what you explained is about how I envisioned it to be....I’m off next Wednesday to a local campground for some much needed R & R for a few days so I can’t really start that now…..hopefully when I do go, the noise is either gone or tolerable so I won’t have to try to remove it at all….also, I have a few trips coming up the next couple months so it will probably end up being a winter project so this information will be really useful....

I did find out something else though…..in case any of you run across this…..I'll save you some hassle......on the small panel to the left of the entry door just below the cabinet is numerous switches……battery disconnect, step, compartment lights, etc…..well, there is a little light just above it in the center and a switch just below it that controls it….since I got the coach it came on intermittently and I finally wanted to get to the bottom of it….so, I turn the switch to the left and it turns on the porch light, switch to the right controls this panel light but it didn’t come on..….hmmmmmmmm…….turn porch light on, turn switch on, still no light….unscrew it…check the bulb, check the wires….all looks good….tried with the key in and out of the ignition, no change.....was about to start to the fuse box and I’m sitting inside looking at it and the DW comes in to check on me…..she opens the door and the light comes on……….HUH?......close the door light goes off…..turn switch on and off, nothing………turn switch on and open door, light comes on.....WHAT?!....…my conclusion is, the stupid lil thing seems to be wired with the door!!...I suppose you can turn this on and night if you leave and when you get back and open the door, it illuminates this panel so you can see it…….<face palm……..>……….I suppose the bright side is I didn’t have to spend any money to fix it!!.......LOL……..either way, that's one more thing off the "To-Do List"!!..........
Old 08-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good idea. Wish mine had that feature.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #26

-LB- and others. Just tested mine. The only time the light will come on is when the door is opened with the switch opposite the porch light position. It won't come on in the porch light or off position, no matter what you do to the door.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Yeah, I have the same functionality with that little light. Neat little thing to have when you are entering in the dark.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Yeah me too!

When I got mine that light did not light at all, I pulled that panel to find that the wire from switch to light had been pulled loose somehow. I rewired and went through same process. inside with door closed could not get the dang thing lit, then forgetting to turn switch off I opened the door and, voila!! Lit.

Then is when it dawned on me that it is to assist you in seeing those switches in the dark when you open door to come in!! Well....duh
trode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, removal