Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
2005 37' Tradewinds

Good morning,
I've found a 2005 37' Tradewinds with around 65,000 miles on a 350 Cat Diesel. I have no idea what quality area the Nationals are in. Are they comparable to Coachmen's Cross Country, Fleetwood's Discovery, Newmar, Holiday Rambler, Monaco ?? They look really nice in pictures,but how well are they put together ?
Don (Michguy)
michguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO,if you read the post on this site long enough you will find all RV's have problems. Luck of the draw thing. Buy floor plan and engine that fits your needs.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We own a 1999 Tradewinds and although it would be a distant comparison to a 2005 I find the construction of the coach is very good. Tradewinds was always at or near the top of the National lineup and as a result the OEM products were a cut above the average.
In 2005 National wasn't in trouble yet so the unit you’re looking at wasn't rushed through the production line like some of the 2008 models were.

So you need to exercise the normal cautions that you would buying any used RV. Just be assured that National made a good product with some of the leading OEM suppliers.

The Cat Engine and Freightliner chassis isn't necessarily a cut above Cummins or other chassis manufactures but there not a second rate foundation for any Motor Home.

That all being said the mikron is totally correct. Find a coach that just feels right and then have it checked out for soundness. It's real easy to get hung up on the technical details and give up the things you would live with every time you use the unit. Just remember you will spend a lot more time in the coach than under it if you exercise a little caution and a good portion of emotion. In the end who really needs one of these things, get one you like. No matter what your gonna spend some money and time maintaining and improving your new toy.

Good luck in your search.

Dick
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We chose our 2001 39' Tradewinds because of the layout. Our friends have a 2005 Beaver and they like our layout better. We've had no problems with ours other then the normal, replacing tires, leaking levelors and regular maintenence. Look over the maint. records, check the tire dates. Also, check out this forum and you won't see many unhappy National folks. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if they were still around. Money management took them out, not Quality.

Bottom line, like the others say, get a layout you're happy with.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
michguy,

I don't believe that National RV built Tradewinds in 2005, as they stopped production on them for almost 2 years until 2006 model. Is the chassis a Spartan or Dynamax. Need more information. National RVs are great MH for the money.

Ed
Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Jeepster, Thanks for your comments. My mistake. The Coach is a Tropical, not a Tradewinds, and it's on a Freightliner Chassis with a 350 Cat. I'm really close to buying it. Why else would I be up at 4:30 in the morning checking IRV2 ??
Thanks,
Michguy
Old 03-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As you can tell, we National owners are just a little fanatic about them. We really like our Tradewinds and the build quality was better than some of those you posted and equal to the rest (I won't say which is which so I don't have people slamming me for my opinions).
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Well, I bought it !

Yup. I bought the 2005 TropiCal. Best Preowned RV in Houston made it happen with the greatest of ease. I don't mean to turn this into a commercial, but if you want to hear about a phenomenal experience, drop me a private message.
Michguy
Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michguy View Post
Yup. I bought the 2005 TropiCal. Best Preowned RV in Houston made it happen with the greatest of ease. I don't mean to turn this into a commercial, but if you want to hear about a phenomenal experience, drop me a private message.
Michguy
Congrats and enjoy.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
congratulations, I hope you have as much enjoyment out of your National as we have had with ours .... it has been a good coach to drive on the xc chassis and we havn't had any issues to speak of thus far, I think you will be happy. keep your filters clean!