Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2005 Dolphin Limited Edition

I was at CW in Cocoa Fl yesterday just looking around. I noticed this Dolphin on the lot, so decided to check it out. As expected, impressed with Nationals quality again/still.

Anyway, DW took a look and now wants to go back, really check it out and get prices. This is after the last two years of completely remodeling our '99 and going thru every system with a fine tooth comb

I was surprised that the layout was almost identical, except from the kitchen back and of course the BR slide (the main reason DW wants it).The only real question I have right now is I see it has basement AC and a heat pump. So just wondering how those with basement AC compare it to overhead AC, any problems with heat pump ect.

This Limited is 95 out of 100, anyone got particulars on these units as far as what was different?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
What are you CRAZY!!!! Whenever the wife say ' you want to look at it" you say, 'I'm having chest pains', or 'I sure feel dizzy, we better get home before I pass out', anything. You're in for it now. Get out the check book.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
John, IMO the "Limited" is just another trim level. We have been very safisified with the basement air on our '05. While it may have a higher noise level in the bedroom, the front half of the coach is really quiet. Using sun management (window shades) the basement unit will maintain 78 degrees inside with the outside temps over 100. Heat pump is great, when the temps are above 40 degrees. ( Heat pump takes some jockying of the thermostate when the inside temps are low, as any temperature setting more than 4 degrees above the room temp will kick in the LP furnace.)

BTW which floor plan is the unit? We love our three slide unit as the kitchen counter space is huge.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

We’re very happy with out “05 Dolphin. The basement air took a little getting used to in the bedroom but there has never been an issue with it keeping the RV cool. We close the door between the kitchen and the bath area to hold the temperature in the bedroom at night. When we have spend-the-night guest in the front we leave the control in the run position and the entire RV stays at a comfortable temp. This summer we had a group meeting in our Dolphin with at least 14 people sitting wall to wall and everyone was cool.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Agree with A/C experience--ours has performed well. Although the DW threatens murder if I ever run the heat cycle again when she sleeps in.
The limited probably has other upgrades like ceramic flooring. Check the weight ratings, but should be OK.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
What are you CRAZY!!!! Whenever the wife say ' you want to look at it" you say, 'I'm having chest pains', or 'I sure feel dizzy, we better get home before I pass out', anything. You're in for it now. Get out the check book.
LOL. I hear ya Steve! Clare is actually pretty good about allowing me to handle the financial decisions. This is certainly not a NEEDED thing and I must admit, I haven't completely ruled out the idea. Mostly because we got such a great deal on our '99 and with all the work we've done on it, we've come close to doubling it's value over what we paid for it. So that would ease the pain a bit
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post

BTW which floor plan is the unit? We love our three slide unit as the kitchen counter space is huge.
Fred,

It's a 5355 or 6355, so not sure if it's a W22 or W24 yet, but I am pretty sure it's 36ft. It has the optional 12 cu. ft. fridge, it's an LX in the Adobe colors and cherry cabinets. It's definitely a cream puff with only 20k on it. Talked to the salesman on the phone later that day and said it just came in the day before. I asked the price and he said they put $59k on it and $55k internet price. He said the previous 1 owner traded it in on a 5er ?

Looking at prices of these, they are all over the map from $49k to $97k. So his starting prices seems reasonable.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Our Dolphin has the basement air also. For the most part we are happy with it. We have been in the desert when it's 110F and are nice and cool inside. The foam insulation in the walls and ceiling along with the dual pane windows helps keep the inside cool or warm according to your needs and the weather. There are a few items that may be different from operating roof air; the return air filter (under the bed) needs to be clean for the system to work efficiantly, the noise in the bedroom from the air movement out of the vents is what bothers us the most, not the noise of the compressors under the bed. we normally leave the fan switch in the 'on' position rather than 'auto' so the noise is constant. If you're at a campground with dirt roads you can't run the A/C when entering or leaving because the condenser fans blow dirrectly down and create a dust storm as you drive. Fellow campers aren't real happy when they are covered in dust. It will aslo create is short lived dust storm if your camp spot is dirt. There is no condensation down the side of your MH. The heatpump side of the system works very well also. Gives a nice even heat to the inside, we use it whenever we have full hook ups.
You already know about the quality of National products. That is what sold us on ours. We just visited the RV show in Pomona CA and looked at gassers and diesels, used and new, and when we were finished we still liked our Dolphin better than anything we had seen no mater the price tag.
There are two recalls that you should make sure have been taken care of. One is fuel clip on the fuel pressure regulator and the other is the Bosch brake recall. Both are done at no charge.
I think you will like the Workhorse chassis, the engine (8.1) has good power.

Good Luck
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
John, not sure if you have this link to National RV brochurers and specs?

The coach in question sounds great.

National RV Archives

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yep Fred, already had it and checked the '05 Dolphin out. Went back today and they already sold it. Sharp Nationals sure go fast!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
We've got a 2005 Dolphin and absolutely love it. Ours is not a limited or even an LX, but we love it. Mechanically I'd guess they're identical, with maybe exception of W22 vs W24 chassis, depending upon length. We've had ours 2 years now and the odo just turned 20k miles this summer. Repairs have been minimal in 2 years. The biggest being, the flush valve and vacuum breaker replacement on the toilet. The broken awning mounting plate in need of repair right now was a self inflicted wound so, can't count that one. Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Wolfpack... I hear ya! This one sliped through our fingers but was really not planned for. Once we really decide to upgrade, we'll take our time and be better prepared. There is no doubt in our minds, it will be another National!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We couldn't be happier with our 05 Dolphin. Ours is a 5376 (37-1/2 feet) model. Not an LX but don't care about tile floors or corian in the vanity anyway. Ours did get the LX paint job that was a $13k option and would recommend finding on that is painted instead of gel-coat and stickers. It's so much easier to care for and will look new for a very long time. Also, look for a W24 chassis. Better brakes and larger weight capacity. I did my own sound system for the tv and Stereo so I don't miss what would of come with the LX version either.
Good luck and safe travels...
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
We couldn't be happier with our 05 Dolphin. Ours is a 5376 (37-1/2 feet) model. Not an LX but don't care about tile floors or corian in the vanity anyway. Ours did get the LX paint job that was a $13k option and would recommend finding on that is painted instead of gel-coat and stickers. It's so much easier to care for and will look new for a very long time. Also, look for a W24 chassis. Better brakes and larger weight capacity. I did my own sound system for the tv and Stereo so I don't miss what would of come with the LX version either.
Good luck and safe travels...
Rick, on your sound system you did. Did you include rear channel speakers. If so how did you hide the wires. I've got an old Sony surround sound sytem I'd like to put in our Dolphin, I'm not sure how the run wiring for rear channel though.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote