Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:45 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
2006 National Dolphin 5355

We are looking at buying a 2006 Dolphin that has been on the lot and only out for test drives. We would like advise on National Dolphin or what to look for on this 2006 on the lot.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
If it were me and you are seriously considering buying it, I would check to see that a full fluid replacement is done(trans,motor oil,coolant, all filter's ect.) before you buy it as well as a good grease job....get this worked into your deal, it sounds minor but a lot of Dealers leave this stuff and you'll have no Idea how long it's been since it's last service unless they prove it, and all this stuff adds up to quite a bit when you get it home...also ask about the age of the coach batteries,and make sure your levelling jacks aren't leaking or bent, also check the tires for uneven wear or chunks of rubber missing from the side walls, having recently purchased a used pusher from a dealer I have learned quite a bit about what they don't do! But I would recommend a National R.V to anybody We love ours.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi, we also highly recommend National RV, we just bought a 2008 35 Dolphin with the w-24 workhorse chassis in Phoenix, it had been owned only 18 months by orig owner, we had all fluids & filters changed and checked every single sistem and appliance, all went very well, & we drove it home to Canada almost 3000 miles, ran great, we love it. Great rig, we love it, take your time and check out everything beforehand, especially if it's been sitting mainly since probally the fall of 2005.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #4

I own one and like all of then they are a lot of work. Problems with the ac, the insulation in the bay doors warp at the corners and always a problem rembering which switches and breakers do what. Also the tv are not digital. Go for it if you think the price is righr..good luck mikee
Old 05-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAELE View Post
I own one and like all of then they are a lot of work. Problems with the ac, the insulation in the bay doors warp at the corners and always a problem rembering which switches and breakers do what. Also the tv are not digital. Go for it if you think the price is righr..good luck mikee
Hi Michaele,
Just wondering what year Dolphin you have, I was unaware of the bay doors insulation warps at the corners, something I will have to keep an eye on. From construcion method, the foam used is rigit, cannot understand how it would warp/deforme. Would like to learn more about that.
All of my 08 switches and breakers are clearly indicated, but I'll probally still have a memory problem, comes with age, (IN MY CASE) HA!
The AC problem: basement air or chassis engine air?
Thanks for the imput.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the info we went by and started the paper work. I told them that I wanted all fluids changed and all greased. I inspected tires all look ok. I wll keep you up dated on out come.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #7

I talked to a owner of a 2004 like mine and he was having a war with National about his door insulation and now I notice mine is warping at the corners of the doors so take a good look at them..also get up on the roof and look at the solar panel charger after a few years the plastic coating on them come apart from the weather..mikee
Old 05-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of my basement doors had separation of the foam liner from the outer door panel. It was a $100 repair, but no other storage door problems so far. The bedroom slide drive may be problematic if it has a RBW/Al-Ko drive with a bronze worm gear. Ours failed completely and I've got $1200 into the replacement unit so far. The tires on an '06 should have a couple years life at least if you believe in the 6-7 year max life recommendation. Our '05 has minor cracks in the sidewalls, but I am watching them. Other than some minor problems and TV replacements, we think our NRV Dolphin is still the best in its class, and we have looked at Newmars, Winnebagos, Fleetwoods, Monaco and other coaches. Oh yeah, I replaced the non-functional little roof solar panel with a 50 watt unit.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:28 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the date code on the tires. Tires should be replaced if they are seven years old regardless of miles are wear. In all likelihood, your tires are five years old now. When I bought my coach in 2003 the tires were already a year old. I've have replaced all of mine since buying the coach. I'm sure the tires on the motorhome you're looking at are Michelins. They are good tires but subject to weather checking. I would insist on updated tires.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
If it were me and you are seriously considering buying it, I would check to see that a full fluid replacement is done(trans,motor oil,coolant, all filter's ect.) before you buy it as well as a good grease job....get this worked into your deal, it sounds minor but a lot of Dealers leave this stuff and you'll have no Idea how long it's been since it's last service unless they prove it, and all this stuff adds up to quite a bit when you get it home...also ask about the age of the coach batteries,and make sure your levelling jacks aren't leaking or bent, also check the tires for uneven wear or chunks of rubber missing from the side walls, having recently purchased a used pusher from a dealer I have learned quite a bit about what they don't do! But I would recommend a National R.V to anybody We love ours.
Texas Aggie,
I would strongly emphasize a complete brake fluid flush be done before delivery and some form of documentation that all recall issues have been addressed. See the forum posts regarding brake issues on Workhorse chassis!!!

Marty
Old 06-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an '06 Dolphin LX...guess we've been lucky!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 05 5355 with 26000 miles on it and other than normal maint. I have replaced the solar charger and the batterys. O yes the tvs too because they weren't digital.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAELE View Post
I talked to a owner of a 2004 like mine and he was having a war with National about his door insulation and now I notice mine is warping at the corners of the doors so take a good look at them..also get up on the roof and look at the solar panel charger after a few years the plastic coating on them come apart from the weather..mikee
How is he having a "war" with National now since they've been out of business for a couple years?
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
How is he having a "war" with National now since they've been out of business for a couple years?
Key word "Was".

Our 05 5376 dolphin has served us well. We have two storage doors that have the same problem as others with the de-lamination issue. I have a fix for it but have it done it yet. It always helps to be handy with tools when owning a RV but I'd rate our NRV a 9.8 out of 10 when it come to reliability and build quality. Ours sits on a W24. What chassis does the one you are looking have?

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote