Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16
2007 surf side air conditioning shed system

I have about had it with this air-conditioning system based on 30 AMPs. Plugged into shore power when both air-conditioners are on the rear air conditioner compressor only stays on 5 to07 seconds and continually shuts on and off . I just had the entire unit replaced thinking maybe that would solve the issue but it has not. There is a marked difference in temperature from the bathroom through the rear bedroom when the air conditioners are on . I donít know why they would ever designed a system like this !! When I bought this thing online I was told it had a 50 amp service and then when I got it I found out it was only 30 amp . I go to extremely hot climates and Iím about to start on a three-month trip and Iím really disgusted with this air-conditioning system . Iím seriously considering upgrading to a 50 amp service but Iím wondering how bad theyíre going to screw me over on that price . I only have one thermostat that controls both air-conditioners so I cannot shut off just the front on this Rig. Iím curious if anyone has upgraded their system and how much it cost to go from 30 to 50 amp . Friend of mine said it was actually very easy to do the dealer said complete opposite .
__________________

Topgunwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
Member
 
boardpuller's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 32
I had a Rexall 30 Amp that had a110 plug in to run the rear AC. I forget who made it but it tied into the Gen juntion box. maybe the company was power solutions.
__________________

__________________
2005 Dolphin 5355
1992 Toyota Dolphin
boardpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tenn. - on the road again
Posts: 5,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardpuller View Post
I had a Rexall 30 Amp that had a110 plug in to run the rear AC. I forget who made it but it tied into the Gen juntion box. maybe the company was power solutions.
Realistically, putting the rear A/C on a separate 120vac circuit is probably the best option.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 1,451
I also have a 2007 SurfSide. I wired things up with true 50A service and removed the A/C shed system and installed separate thermostats on the the front and rear a/c's. If I was a dealer/repair person and I did this job for pay you can bet it would be very expensive. Into multiple 1,000's of dollars. Finding a tech who is qualified to do the change would likely be a challenge too.

What your dealer said is accurate. You not only have to upgrade the coach to true 50A service you have to install a completely new a/c control system and remove the old control system.

It's not a simple or cheap solution. It is also not a non-technical solution and requires a good bit of knowledge to install a sub panel, a new transfer switch, rewire the thermostats and run new thermostat wiring. You also need to remove the remote temperature monitoring system. I installed a PI surge protector at the same time.

Simply wiring the rear air to a separate power cord won't really accomplish anything since the control system monitors load on the incoming main feed and sheds loads based on that. The on/off controls for the compressors is all done using the low voltage thermostat wiring so even if the rear air is on a separate power cord the system will still power it on and off using the original loading logic and low voltage wiring.
__________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Realistically, putting the rear A/C on a separate 120vac circuit is probably the best option.
Actually, this won't solve the problem since the control is accomplished via the low voltage thermostat wiring control system. The whole air conditioner control system is pretty complex in these units.
__________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Charlie 5320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunwinner View Post
I have about had it with this air-conditioning system based on 30 AMPs. Plugged into shore power when both air-conditioners are on the rear air conditioner compressor only stays on 5 to07 seconds and continually shuts on and off . I just had the entire unit replaced thinking maybe that would solve the issue but it has not. There is a marked difference in temperature from the bathroom through the rear bedroom when the air conditioners are on . I donít know why they would ever designed a system like this !! When I bought this thing online I was told it had a 50 amp service and then when I got it I found out it was only 30 amp . I go to extremely hot climates and Iím about to start on a three-month trip and Iím really disgusted with this air-conditioning system . Iím seriously considering upgrading to a 50 amp service but Iím wondering how bad theyíre going to screw me over on that price . I only have one thermostat that controls both air-conditioners so I cannot shut off just the front on this Rig. Iím curious if anyone has upgraded their system and how much it cost to go from 30 to 50 amp . Friend of mine said it was actually very easy to do the dealer said complete opposite .
My coach has a 50 amp service, only one stat for both airs. When I'm plugged in to a 30 amp service I can only run 1 air. You will never be able to run both airs off of a 30 amp service. Are you sure you can't turn off one of the airs on the stat? On my stat I can run 1 air or no air and can run the fans on auto or Hi, med, or low. Can you run both airs while the generator is running? My coach doesn't have the load shed capability, and am glad it doesn't. I'll take care of that myself. Here is a link to the stat that is in my Dolphin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-310...53.m1438.l2649
__________________
2003 Dolphin 5320
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 16
This really stinks ,several people told me that wiring a separate outlet to the rear air conditioning and putting on a separate thermostat would solve the issue and you’re telling me it doesn’t this is no Bueno!! I’m going to call the dealer tomorrow who is going to do the work and show him what you wrote and see what’s going to happen I have to do something different that’s for sure . Most people don’t even know what the heck I’m talking about with this **** system I still don’t know why they ever did it they should’ve put a 50 amp service in this coach based on its size and dual air conditioners and at least put two separate thermostats!
Topgunwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: TEJAS
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunwinner View Post
I have about had it with this air-conditioning system based on 30 AMPs. Plugged into shore power when both air-conditioners are on the rear air conditioner compressor only stays on 5 to07 seconds and continually shuts on and off . I just had the entire unit replaced thinking maybe that would solve the issue but it has not. There is a marked difference in temperature from the bathroom through the rear bedroom when the air conditioners are on . I don’t know why they would ever designed a system like this !! When I bought this thing online I was told it had a 50 amp service and then when I got it I found out it was only 30 amp . I go to extremely hot climates and I’m about to start on a three-month trip and I’m really disgusted with this air-conditioning system . I’m seriously considering upgrading to a 50 amp service but I’m wondering how bad they’re going to screw me over on that price . I only have one thermostat that controls both air-conditioners so I cannot shut off just the front on this Rig. I’m curious if anyone has upgraded their system and how much it cost to go from 30 to 50 amp . Friend of mine said it was actually very easy to do the dealer said complete opposite .

As long as I have a solid 30 amp service I can run both AC's, but not much else. I was in a park in Texas where the heat was so high the park voltage was 103 with both AC's on that I ran the gen to cool down until I could run just one AC. I made a 50 amp jumper cord and added a separate automatic switch-over relay so I could take advantage of a 50 amp site.

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #9
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunwinner View Post
This really stinks ,several people told me that wiring a separate outlet to the rear air conditioning and putting on a separate thermostat would solve the issue and youíre telling me it doesnít this is no Bueno!! Iím going to call the dealer tomorrow who is going to do the work and show him what you wrote and see whatís going to happen I have to do something different thatís for sure . Most people donít even know what the heck Iím talking about with this **** system I still donít know why they ever did it they shouldíve put a 50 amp service in this coach based on its size and dual air conditioners and at least put two separate thermostats!
Running a separate outlet to the rear air conditioning AND installing a separate thermostat for the rear air conditioner WILL resolve your issue.

Be aware that the thermostat for my a/c's (and likely yours) have been discontinued and I had to shop around to find some left in stock. If you can't find them you will alos have to change out the control board inside the a/c too.
__________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Charlie 5320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
As long as I have a solid 30 amp service I can run both AC's, but not much else. I was in a park in Texas where the heat was so high the park voltage was 103 with both AC's on that I ran the gen to cool down until I could run just one AC. I made a 50 amp jumper cord and added a separate automatic switch-over relay so I could take advantage of a 50 amp site.

Running your airs with 103 vac is very hard on them, causes a lot of heat in the compressor. I would do without before I burned up my compressors. That's why most newer coachs have a load shed capability, so you DON'T damage your equipment. If I were at a park and they could only provide 103 vac I'd get my money back and move to another location.
__________________

__________________
2003 Dolphin 5320
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air, air conditioning



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2007 Surf Side OBDII Coneector hawker4611 National RV Owner's Forum 4 01-18-2015 08:20 AM
2007 Surf Side Chassis Fuse Panel hawker4611 National RV Owner's Forum 3 06-15-2014 08:39 AM
2007 29 Surf Side Performance Clintexas Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 09-06-2013 12:54 PM
2007 Surf Side questions Paulin National RV Owner's Forum 7 11-12-2008 01:36 PM
2007 Surf Side Information onecb National RV Owner's Forum 3 07-30-2008 05:35 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.