Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 12:27 AM   #1

2007 surf side air conditioning shed system

I have about had it with this air-conditioning system based on 30 AMPs. Plugged into shore power when both air-conditioners are on the rear air conditioner compressor only stays on 5 to07 seconds and continually shuts on and off . I just had the entire unit replaced thinking maybe that would solve the issue but it has not. There is a marked difference in temperature from the bathroom through the rear bedroom when the air conditioners are on . I don’t know why they would ever designed a system like this !! When I bought this thing online I was told it had a 50 amp service and then when I got it I found out it was only 30 amp . I go to extremely hot climates and I’m about to start on a three-month trip and I’m really disgusted with this air-conditioning system . I’m seriously considering upgrading to a 50 amp service but I’m wondering how bad they’re going to screw me over on that price . I only have one thermostat that controls both air-conditioners so I cannot shut off just the front on this Rig. I’m curious if anyone has upgraded their system and how much it cost to go from 30 to 50 amp . Friend of mine said it was actually very easy to do the dealer said complete opposite .
Topgunwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I had a Rexall 30 Amp that had a110 plug in to run the rear AC. I forget who made it but it tied into the Gen juntion box. maybe the company was power solutions.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardpuller View Post
I had a Rexall 30 Amp that had a110 plug in to run the rear AC. I forget who made it but it tied into the Gen juntion box. maybe the company was power solutions.
Realistically, putting the rear A/C on a separate 120vac circuit is probably the best option.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #4

I also have a 2007 SurfSide. I wired things up with true 50A service and removed the A/C shed system and installed separate thermostats on the the front and rear a/c's. If I was a dealer/repair person and I did this job for pay you can bet it would be very expensive. Into multiple 1,000's of dollars. Finding a tech who is qualified to do the change would likely be a challenge too.

What your dealer said is accurate. You not only have to upgrade the coach to true 50A service you have to install a completely new a/c control system and remove the old control system.

It's not a simple or cheap solution. It is also not a non-technical solution and requires a good bit of knowledge to install a sub panel, a new transfer switch, rewire the thermostats and run new thermostat wiring. You also need to remove the remote temperature monitoring system. I installed a PI surge protector at the same time.

Simply wiring the rear air to a separate power cord won't really accomplish anything since the control system monitors load on the incoming main feed and sheds loads based on that. The on/off controls for the compressors is all done using the low voltage thermostat wiring so even if the rear air is on a separate power cord the system will still power it on and off using the original loading logic and low voltage wiring.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Realistically, putting the rear A/C on a separate 120vac circuit is probably the best option.
Actually, this won't solve the problem since the control is accomplished via the low voltage thermostat wiring control system. The whole air conditioner control system is pretty complex in these units.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunwinner View Post
I have about had it with this air-conditioning system based on 30 AMPs. Plugged into shore power when both air-conditioners are on the rear air conditioner compressor only stays on 5 to07 seconds and continually shuts on and off . I just had the entire unit replaced thinking maybe that would solve the issue but it has not. There is a marked difference in temperature from the bathroom through the rear bedroom when the air conditioners are on . I don’t know why they would ever designed a system like this !! When I bought this thing online I was told it had a 50 amp service and then when I got it I found out it was only 30 amp . I go to extremely hot climates and I’m about to start on a three-month trip and I’m really disgusted with this air-conditioning system . I’m seriously considering upgrading to a 50 amp service but I’m wondering how bad they’re going to screw me over on that price . I only have one thermostat that controls both air-conditioners so I cannot shut off just the front on this Rig. I’m curious if anyone has upgraded their system and how much it cost to go from 30 to 50 amp . Friend of mine said it was actually very easy to do the dealer said complete opposite .
My coach has a 50 amp service, only one stat for both airs. When I'm plugged in to a 30 amp service I can only run 1 air. You will never be able to run both airs off of a 30 amp service. Are you sure you can't turn off one of the airs on the stat? On my stat I can run 1 air or no air and can run the fans on auto or Hi, med, or low. Can you run both airs while the generator is running? My coach doesn't have the load shed capability, and am glad it doesn't. I'll take care of that myself. Here is a link to the stat that is in my Dolphin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-310...53.m1438.l2649

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #7

This really stinks ,several people told me that wiring a separate outlet to the rear air conditioning and putting on a separate thermostat would solve the issue and you’re telling me it doesn’t this is no Bueno!! I’m going to call the dealer tomorrow who is going to do the work and show him what you wrote and see what’s going to happen I have to do something different that’s for sure . Most people don’t even know what the heck I’m talking about with this **** system I still don’t know why they ever did it they should’ve put a 50 amp service in this coach based on its size and dual air conditioners and at least put two separate thermostats!
Old 05-15-2018, 02:30 AM   #8

Quote:

As long as I have a solid 30 amp service I can run both AC's, but not much else. I was in a park in Texas where the heat was so high the park voltage was 103 with both AC's on that I ran the gen to cool down until I could run just one AC. I made a 50 amp jumper cord and added a separate automatic switch-over relay so I could take advantage of a 50 amp site.

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
This really stinks ,several people told me that wiring a separate outlet to the rear air conditioning and putting on a separate thermostat would solve the issue and you’re telling me it doesn’t this is no Bueno!! I’m going to call the dealer tomorrow who is going to do the work and show him what you wrote and see what’s going to happen I have to do something different that’s for sure . Most people don’t even know what the heck I’m talking about with this **** system I still don’t know why they ever did it they should’ve put a 50 amp service in this coach based on its size and dual air conditioners and at least put two separate thermostats!
Running a separate outlet to the rear air conditioning AND installing a separate thermostat for the rear air conditioner WILL resolve your issue.

Be aware that the thermostat for my a/c's (and likely yours) have been discontinued and I had to shop around to find some left in stock. If you can't find them you will alos have to change out the control board inside the a/c too.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
As long as I have a solid 30 amp service I can run both AC's, but not much else. I was in a park in Texas where the heat was so high the park voltage was 103 with both AC's on that I ran the gen to cool down until I could run just one AC. I made a 50 amp jumper cord and added a separate automatic switch-over relay so I could take advantage of a 50 amp site.

Running your airs with 103 vac is very hard on them, causes a lot of heat in the compressor. I would do without before I burned up my compressors. That's why most newer coachs have a load shed capability, so you DON'T damage your equipment. If I were at a park and they could only provide 103 vac I'd get my money back and move to another location.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #11

Problem solved when I was at the dealer last week I was going to have them install a separate power line into the back bedroom air conditioner with its own thermostat but we ended up getting the quick cool vent and now it’s blowing me out of here !!
Old 06-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #12

If that fixed your problem it's likely your original problem is due to some issue with the duct work. National molded the foam insulation in the ceiling to create the duct system but then cut into those duct channels when they installed ceiling vents and skylights. I removed all the trim rings and repaired the ducts with spray foam. I also had to re-tape the connection between the air conditioners and duct system. There's a lot of air leakage in those areas. Glad you got things fixed to your satisfaction.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioning