Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2Labs Build Thread - Our Sea Breeze Modifications

So we’ve been delayed by a few days with setting off on our first extended journey. We’re waiting on a few “we-owe” items from the dealer, along with a service date for the new LP tank installation.

Work – both regular projects, and getting ourselves well set to take the office on the road, along with getting the farm and house ready – really mowing the lawn, has kept us at home a few days longer as well. I mow about 5 acres of lawn with my hard working, trusty John Deere. The lawn is getting a nice short cut this week in anticipation of a few weeks of growth. While our adult kids and in-laws will still be at the homestead, the lawn is "my" baby and I am kind of particular on how it gets maintained and cut. It's been an ongoing project since 2005, and I take great pride in the way it looks versus how it looked when we bought the property.

This was what we started with throughout the entire lawn. This view is pretty much the same view as picture 2 above ... with 6 years of clearing and TLC.

We’re hoping to head off to the dealer by mid-week and then off for a few weeks of travel.

We’ve been keeping ourselves busy with getting the MotorHome ready with packing it up, fixing minor things that were missed by the dealer, making updates and enhancements to suit our needs and more.

A few projects that got completed this week include:

- moving the trailer brake controller to a better location: The dealer installed this for us prior to delivery, but it wasn’t really in the best of locations for me … to the left of the steering wheel, where it was blocked by the wheel and too close to my left knee.

While moving the controller, I took the time to take the instrument panel out to fix some squeaks and rattles. I found a few dash pieces that were broken away from their other riveted/screwed together parts, drilled a few new holes, set some new rivets and screws and it made a noticeable difference on my drive over to the DMV for a VIN Verification. I’m thinking about adding a few strategic pieces of dynamat sound deadening material to the plastic parts of the dash and overhead console bottom to give the pieces some weight and cut down on the rattling and resonance.

- Moving the inverter in the bedroom: While we have great closet and shoe storage in the bedroom, we don’t have any drawer space. So now that the inverter has been moved out of the small closet space, we can make better use of that space for clothes and maybe some wood, plastic or fabric drawers.

We kind of lucked into this modification. The original tube TV was in the bedroom when we looked at the MH, but during dealer inspection they discovered it did not work properly and replaced it with a 19″ LCD HD TV with built in DVD. So not only did we lose some weight, we gained space to take the inverter out of the small closet. While I appreciate the newly gained storage space, I do think that I’ll make a cover to hide the invertor when its not in use.

Next up … adding two wall mounted folding tables/desks to the bedsides for our laptops. We stream our home office TV's to our laptops and phones using Slingboxes at home and Verizon 3G/4G on the road, and with HDMI out of the laptops and into the TV, we can stream to the TV as well.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2Labs,

Here are a few photos of the bedroom TV replacement I did. Installed a Samsung 23" LED HD TV with a piano hinged maple frame. Lots of storage space behind TV.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23 in. Samsung TV installation 001.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	12235   Click image for larger version

Name:	23 in. Samsung TV installation 002.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	12236  

Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Jeepster,

That is really great!! It looks like I now have some inspiration for updating the bedroom TV.

As I said, I'm really happy with gaining the storage space back, but would like to cover up the invertor. It's hard to tell in the pictures I posted, but you can't see the inverter unless you're laying in the bed ... so it's not too much of an "eyesore", but your modifications are a great way to tie it all in together.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #4

Can you put the inverter behind the TV? That way, you don't need to build a box to hide it

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Can you put the inverter behind the TV? That way, you don't need to build a box to hide it
Ha! Funny you mentioned that. I did initially move it behind the TV, but then it was nearly impossible to access the plugs to be able to use it. So for now, it's on the side wall, but I really do like the mod that Jeepster47 did, so that will likely be a project for when we eventually make it back to Home Base
Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #6

Very nice!! I love the lawn and background scenery. Very pleasing to the eye and mind!!
Mad Dog 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #7

I can understand. If you are using the inverter for other things you want to get to the plugs.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 98 View Post
Very nice!! I love the lawn and background scenery. Very pleasing to the eye and mind!!
Thanks Mad Dog 98 ... that picture was taken last year right after a quick rain shower. If you look closely enough in the photos, there are actually 2 rainbows.

Our home base is very serene, and in the spring and summer, we are completely closed in by trees on all sides of our 8+ acres ... and yes it takes me quite a while to mow that lawn and keep it in nice looking shape. Well me mowing the lawn and the professionals at Grasshopper Lawns to keep up with the fertilizer and all the necessary lawn treatments
Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
During our rainy day this week at the KOA Niagara Falls, I decided it was time to change out the overhead TV for a new Samsung flatscreen. Thanks to the advice from everyone else that has done this project already and posted their hints and tips ... those really helped a lot.

You can see more of the TV upgrade on the website here Our RV Journey | Across America with our 2 Labradors

Here's a brief before and after ... there are still a few things to do in regards to finish work, but it's in place and secure and looking GREAT!

The guys at SCAP Audio in Grand Island NY helped us out with the metal fabrication and really did a great job. If you're ever in the Grand Island/Niagara Falls area and need some work done, look them up! Sound Choice Audio & Performance

They have some really awesome cars at their location ... This new camaro is to die for if you're a musclehead like me.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #10

Jeepster47,

Very, VERY!!, very nice installation!!! Did I mention Nice Job?? If possible would you provide some additional information? Solid maple? The stain you used? Can you provide several pictures of the back and how you attached it to the side rail? I started to mount my new TV using a slightly different approach but now thinking of using your approach. Looks GREAT!

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote