RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #1

30Amp to 50 Amp service

1997 National Dolphin. 5.5 Generac. Any way to change the 30 amp service to 50 amp ? Are there components available to make up a 50 amp shore power cord ? Need a new converter ? Thanks for any thoughts on this . Scotty

dscotty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #2

30A to 50A

there is a 30 A to 50A adapter plug.
try this link --maybe has what you want.
RV Electrical and generator adapters from tweetys.com
Gary

Old 10-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a trailer without a Generator you need:
New power cord, New power distribution center, and a new breaker or two, that's about it (See notes)

ON a Motor home with generator and auto-transfer switch you will need some new wires (50 amp 4-wire) which you may be able to cut off your new power cord.. A new power cord, A new automatic transfer Switch, and a new power distribution center (See same notes.)

Note 1: IF your RV has a detachable cord you will also need a ne INLET

Note 2: Many RV's (Both Trailers and Motor homes) the converter is part of the power distribution panel... (Mine it is not) depending on the converter you may choose to keep it, and put in a 2nd 50 amp 120 volt Breaker Box (Progressive Dynamics makes such a box, it is what I have) and continue to use the existing box as the 12 volt distrubution panel.

And by moving one wire you can also use the 120 volt part of the existing board as an Inverter Sub Panel should you add a big inverter.

(You need to disconnect the wire that powers the converter module, and move it to the new "MAIN" panel.

If on the other hand you have a low end converter (Say a Parallex 7300, or worse) you might consider upgrading to a Progressive Dynamics (3 stage converter)

And a common made in China unit is the WFCO.. These are noted for short life.. So again, You might wish to consider a Progressive model.

Progressive Dynamics is a US company (Marshall, MI) last I checked, And Damon blessed me with a 9180 (Stand alone converter) With optional charge wizard, When I did my research (2005) I could not find a better converter for Flooded Lead Acid batteries,, I still have yet to find a better one.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #4

I have converted 2 MH. The first was a Holiday Rambler. It came with the ability to run the second ac only on the generator for some reason. I replaced the 30 amp cord with a 4 wire 8 gauge with a 50 amp plug. I put a small breaker panel where the power cord enters the coach with a main. I attached a manual transfer switch to the cord and the cord from the generator since the generator was already wired to run 120/240 plugs. From there I branched off to the installed panel with a GFI 30 Amp. To the second panel I ran the other leg of the 50 amp on a GFI 30. I installed a outlet out of the second panel to the coffee pot and toaster. This actually gave me dual 30 service.

2. On the Southwind the generator was very different in that it was max 35 amp on 2 different circuits with 2 auto switches. I removed the junction box that connected the land line to the coach. I installed a small breaker panel with main and 4 circuits. I installed a 30 amp GFI in one and connected the coach panel to it. I ran a circuit with a 20 to the second transfer switch. Be sure it is fed from the same leg if the input power as the first because it feeds one of the ac units and main box will feed the other but they are controlled by a common controller. The other side(leg) was then connected to the water heater on a 20 amp circuit. A 20 amp GFI circuit was also run to power the coffee pot, toaster or whatever else my wife came up with. Now we can run the microwave, coffee pot, hot water and acs all at the same time. If you are lucky enough to have the acs on separate controls, wire the second one on leg and you have it made.
dfhensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On most trailers you simply change the power center and cord but on a motor home (or trailer with generator) it is a bit more complex

Converter: Need not be changed UNLESS it is part of the power center, then since you need to change the breaker box consider a progressive Dynamics power distribution center or a 9200 (Stand alone) unit.

Automatic transfer switch: If you have one you will need to replace it
Manual transfer system (Outlet you plug into for generator use) Well, it's a whole lot cheaper than the ATS but it too will need replacement

ATS you may need to re-wire the Generator (Same with manual system but again, way easier to do).

New cord, all cables in the RV prior to power center will need replacement, if cord is detachable you will need new inlet as well.

Job is actually fairly easy save for pulling cable.

Tags
service