RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
4 6v batteries?

I just picked up a 2004 National Dolphin LX 6355 and it has a residential fridge and the original 600 watt inverter along with 2 6v house batteries. From what I've read, I should switch to a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger and go with 4 6v batteries. I'm sure others have made this switch so I'm wondering if you can advise if this is the correct setup and where you installed the 4 batteries?

Thank you

jrfales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Questions.
Was the fridge original equipment to the coach ?
Is the fridge currently powered from the existing inverter ?
Do you plan on boon docking with the RV ? Often ? Occasionally ? Just the odd overnight stay ?
The conversion will be pricey , just trying to determine if your use will justify the expense.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It was not original equipment or a option
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you never boondock then what you have is probably enough. If you always boondock then what you have is not enough.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:56 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks guys, for your advice and things to think about and check. At this point we won't be doing too much boondocking but our favorite campground does not have any hookups. We usually only stay about 3 nights at a time. The batteries are new 6v interstate deep cycle. I'm not sure if the fridge is currently powered by the inverter. I guess I just thought all the ac was powered by the inverter when the coach was unplugged and not on generator power. I will check that out now. As Richard said, the fridge is not oem. It's a GE Hotpoint 16 cu ft. 110v fridge. I'm not too worried about cost but don't want to spend where I don't need too. I was thinking of the Aims 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger. Looks like I can get one online between $500-$600. My understanding is that this would replace both the existing inverter and converter. Finding a good location for the batteries is my main concern but as you've said, maybe I'm good with what I've got?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:14 AM   #6

If you can find the amperage or wattage consumption of the frig would help. I am guessing the frig will need 4-6 amps at peak. That is about 480 to 720 watts. If you only have one 600 watt inverter in the coach it will not be able to run much else.

If you plan on camping where there is not power available and generators are not allowed or desired, more batteries and possibly solar system may be your best bet.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 05 Dolphin had a 4 6v golf car batt. 2500 inverter option. They were put in the compartment in front of the intry door on a batt. slide rack.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
If you can find the amperage or wattage consumption of the frig would help. I am guessing the frig will need 4-6 amps at peak. That is about 480 to 720 watts. If you only have one 600 watt inverter in the coach it will not be able to run much else.

If you plan on camping where there is not power available and generators are not allowed or desired, more batteries and possibly solar system may be your best bet.
The specs on the fridge say 15 amps.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
My 05 Dolphin had a 4 6v golf car batt. 2500 inverter option. They were put in the compartment in front of the intry door on a batt. slide rack.
I was think that would be the most logical place since they won't all fit under the steps. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:52 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just checked and fridge does not appear to be powered by the inverter. Guess this means I will need to rewire fridge outlet if I do the conversion to the inverter/charger? Also noticed something else while checking the inverter; there is a remote inverter switch just inside the entry door, when switched on, it lights up to indicate it is on, the TV powers on whether the inverter switch is on or off. I'm assuming this means the switch has been bypassed and the inverter is always on and would thus drain the batteries if I don't hit the battery disconnect button? Any ideas/knowledge on this matter?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfales View Post
Just checked and fridge does not appear to be powered by the inverter. Guess this means I will need to rewire fridge outlet if I do the conversion to the inverter/charger? Also noticed something else while checking the inverter; there is a remote inverter switch just inside the entry door, when switched on, it lights up to indicate it is on, the TV powers on whether the inverter switch is on or off. I'm assuming this means the switch has been bypassed and the inverter is always on and would thus drain the batteries if I don't hit the battery disconnect button? Any ideas/knowledge on this matter?
If you want to keep it simple, buy this inverter, place it near your batteries and run a pair of 2 gauge cables, with fuse to them.
https://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-806-1.../dp/B002I04A74

This model inverter seems to have one of the lowest amp draw, while on. That's important when the fridge is not running.

Once installed, use an extension cord if needed, and plug the fridge into the inverter.

Your old converter will handle the charging as before and your old inverter will do what ever it does. You can also use the new inverter for TV and phone charging.

Down the road, you may want to upgrade your converter to keep the batteries in great shape, but then just swap that out.

I've had a residential refrigerator in my boat for 10 years, and its never seen anything but inverter power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:16 AM   #12

Quote:

That may be the minimum circuit recommended. The actual draw may be less. The tag may not be visible with the unit installed.

15 amps would be 1800 watts.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:19 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
15 amps would be the recommended circuit power to supply the fridge not the power consumption. 15 amps is 1800 watts and if that was the power consumption rating of the fridge your monthly electric bill would higher than your monthly retirement fund savings to include employer match.

The fridge is a bit of a power hog, compared to other refridgers, but not 1800 watts. 74.49 watts or .62 amps is more likely the correct number if I'm using the correct model number to find the Energy Guide number

http://products.geappliances.com/Mar...=003677211.PDF

CTX16CYBRAA - Hotpoint® 16.4 Cu. Ft. Top-Mount No-Frost Refrigerator | Monogram Appliances.

Starting surge might be double for a second or so. As such 600 watt inverter is more than enough to power it as long as the inverter has a good surge capacity.

Pulling power from two 6VDC batteries will get you by for a parking lot overnight but not much else. Three nights at you favorite site is doable but you may require a couple of runs on the generator each day to keep the batteries up. Power management will be required.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
That may be the minimum circuit recommended. The actual draw may be less. The tag may not be visible with the unit installed.

15 amps would be 1800 watts.
I was just thinking about that this morning. 15 amps is probably the breaker size needed not what the fridge draws. That would be a pretty high drain on the batteries and inverter just for one appliance. Thanks

Tags
batteries