Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

400W Inverter 97 National Trop-Cal

I have a 400W original inverter. It is located above the passenger side behind the overhead compartment. I was wondering what the inverter runs. It looks like the satellite and TV.

The TV is new and doesn't come on when in battery mode. But does come on when hooked up to shore power.

The Satellite does work both ways.

I think its time for a new inverter......

I have turned the inverter on and off and reset the GFI. I green light does come on.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

RLTW
Ranger497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I also have a 1997 Tropical and my inverter operates the tv and satellite also. I have a plug in the compartment above the passenger that has shore power on half of it and inverter power on the other half of it. We have to unplug the tv from shore power and plug into the inverter side of the switch.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
mrk

Since everything worked before you put in a new TV, and since the satellite still works, I'd say that the inverter is still working, bur the new TV won't accept the MSW current from the inverter. Yes, time to replace the inverter with a PSW inverter.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
Since everything worked before you put in a new TV, and since the satellite still works, I'd say that the inverter is still working, bur the new TV won't accept the MSW current from the inverter. Yes, time to replace the inverter with a PSW inverter.
FYI PSW stands for PURE SINE WAVE, its a more spendy inverter than he cheap-o, but it is supposed to protect valuable electronics from getting power surges and drops. its smoother power if I understand it correctly, and MRK is right spend the extra money, its cheaper than buying new TV and SAT.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
This isn't always true. I have a 500W MSW inverter and my new tv works fine on it. The OP needs to check the plug to make sure he has 120vac at the plug when running on the inverter. Like I said in my previous post my 1997 Tropical has a split plug in the overhead compartment. The top of the plug is 120vac shore power and the bottom plug is 120vac from the inverter.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:42 AM   #6

New 600w SWI

I purchased a new 600w inverter and everything seems to working just fine. I did not get one that had a 120v cord.

Does the inverter run anything else besides the front cabin equipment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	175005  
Ranger497 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, national