Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
50 Amp Receptical in Electrical Compartment.

This is something I've been wondering about since we acquired the coach in May.
What is the reason for needing to plug into this, when not hooked up to a utility post?
Thanks. Edouard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01758.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	6188  
Edouard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You don't mention the make and model of your RV so my guess is that it supplies AC to your RV when the generator is running, of course I'm assuming you have a generator.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
You don't mention the make and model of your RV so my guess is that it supplies AC to your RV when the generator is running, of course I'm assuming you have a generator.
Your right, I need to figure out how to have my rig mentioned in a signature which would appear whenever I post something, sorry about that.

It's an 2008 W-24 Dolphin 35C, and it does have a 5.5 Onan Genset. If it supplies AC to my RV from the Genset, I guess my rig does not have an Automatic transfer switch, I'll have to look into my manuals again, I was of the assumption that I did have a Auto Transfer Switch.
Edouard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I would agree, looks like a "cost saving" move. Our '01 Dolphin had this same set-up.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Edouard,
You can edit your signature by clicking on the "User CP" menu item on the light green menu bar at the top of the page. Next click on the "Edit Signature" feature on the left side of the page. You are restricted to 3 signature lines. Let me know if you need help.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
'Fred & Bonnie', Thanks for the reply, I have not really given it a thought, other than each time I unplug from a utility post and in storing the cord remember, oh yea need to plug it in for some reason.
However, I am now thinking that when I exercise the genset here at home and it is plugged into the 30amp receptical, I run the two AC's together, at the same time which I now assume requires 50amp, I even recall just pulling the plug from the house once to ensure only the genny is providing power, and everything continued to work with only genset running and plug laying on the ground???
Have to go out and do a test today. Will post later.
Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RJay, Hey thanks for the tutor, I did find it a few days ago, and got er going...ie:
Old 10-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, I ran a concentrated test today without the 50amp cord plugged in neither the house utility 30amp receptical, nor the 50amp receptical in my electrical cord compartment.
Result, no 120 volt AC to any outlets or equipment, except the Refer, and a couple of other outlets along the forward passenger side, and one in the basement compartment just aft of the entry door, again passenger side, that are powered by the inverter, even though the invertor switch is turned off.
These same outlets are also powered while driving down the road, again while the inverter switch is turned off, which allos the Refer to operate on AC, and the navigator can plug in Computor, GPS, Ipod etc. Pretty good feature!

I then shut off both 30amp breakers at the genset to avoid power surge, plugged in the 50amp cord into the compartment receptical. Then one at a time in order to establish what it powered inside the coach, the top 30amp breaker powered the Micro/Convection and one rooftop ac, then the lower 30amp breaker powered the rest of the coach outlets and the second roof Ac unit.
So, that confirms, no AutoTransferSwitch, of course if the 50amp cord is plugged into a utility post, the genset cannot send power until that same plug is moved from the utility to the compartment receptical, pretty simple technology, but it's fool proof.
I would like to retract my earlier comment about removing the cord from my house utility and the ac's were both running, that was on our previous coach, not this Dolphin. Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:34 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Edouard - I don't think your inverter will power your refrigerator on AC. I leave my inverter on all the time when I'm on a long trip. When I disconnect from shore power or when the generator is not running, the refrigerator switches over to gas.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fred,
Over the years it appears that National RV had a plan for the wiring, but it appears that many coaches were just wired the way that the line electrician wanted to connect every thing . I never use my inverter but have checked it out and both two separate outlets in my refrigerator compartment are hot with the inverter on and the Refer. will switch over to AC.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #11
JVJ

As for not having an Auto Transfer Switch, not a big deal. Could be a blessing. One less item to go wrong. I have had a couple stick in the closed position where it wouldn't change to the proper power source.
I kind of like the KISS principal train of thought.
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Edouard,
If you're fairly handy and have basic wiring skills it would be fairly easy to install an auto transfer switch. In fact, if you don't have a surge protector there is a combination ATS/surge protector unit on the market that would probably fit in the space where the two receptacles are in the power cord compartment.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
Fred,
Over the years it appears that National RV had a plan for the wiring, but it appears that many coaches were just wired the way that the line electrician wanted to connect every thing . I never use my inverter but have checked it out and both two separate outlets in my refrigerator compartment are hot with the inverter on and the Refer. will switch over to AC.
Thanks everyone for your input, I too believe it's one thing less to go wrong, pretty idiot proof, genset won't power coach unless the 50amp cord is plugged into the storage receptical, glad I found out, I usually run genset to exercise it, leaving the cord plugged in at the house 30amp receptical, worked fine on our previous Holiday Rambler gas coach, it had the transfer switch.
Also, my refrigerator (which I leave on Auto Mode) definitly is wired direct to the Inverter, as are 3 wall outlets, without the Inverter switch in the on position in the central hall control center.
So the engine alternator is charging the inverter/battery bank, by the way, the icemaker also makes ice as we roll down the road to our next destination, pretty cool, we have to remember to turn on the water pump!! When ice falls, there is usually enough pressure for one refill, and it reminds us to turn on the pump to recharge the line, usually at a fuel or lunch stop.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
I'm glad mine is that way and no big deal with plugging it in when storing the cord. Not having the transfer switch is just one less thing to worry about. However there is still a relay that automatically transfers the rear A/C if so equipped.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote