Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #1

8311 Front TV upgraded

Hi Guys, I thought I would share my latest project. I have an 02 8311 that had a beefy 19" TV up front. Unlike many of you, I rarely use hook-ups. Most of our camping is in the desert where we ride or at So. Cal State Beaches and we never get hook-ups there. Our dilema was that we could not watch TV after quiet time. I don't have the means to install a beefy invertor right now so I thought if I could replace the main TV with an AC/DC TV, I could watch the tube later in the evening. The 8311 is prolly one of the smallest NRV coachs so my original TV is rather small and does not have a large cabinet for me to put a large flat screen.

I found a nice 22" HD flat panel that was AC/DC that had a built in DVD player on Ebay. After removing the orginal TV, I screwed in a deck for the flat panel to sit on outside of the original cabinet. I made a cross brace that would act as a back support. I purchased a Flat panel TV mount that normally would mount sideways to swivel the TV side to side while mounted to a wall. I mounted mine rotated 90 degrees so it would act as a telescoping device to retract the TV away from teh cabinet.

I then mounted some velcrow to the bottom and rear of the TV to temprorarliy secure the TV while a new exterior cabinet is installed to secure the TV to the main cabinet. I have to say it turned out great. I found a live 12V wire in the cabinet and tied into it and ran a ground up to the antenna. There is a slot in the side of the face mount that allows access to the DVD player.

I'll add some pictures in my next post to show you how I did it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #2

Here are the in process pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02 8311 -5.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	3447   Click image for larger version

Name:	8311 TV 002-s.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	3448  

Name:	8311 TV 003-s.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	3449   Click image for larger version

Name:	8311 TV 012-s.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	3450  

Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #3

So here are the rest of the pictures. As you can see I put some high density foam on the inside of the new cabinet and after screwing the cabinet in, the TV is firmly secured. The mother of the job was getting the 4 screws drilled into the correct position on the main cabinet. I don't have the caps in the holes yet but I have some dress caps to clean up the look. My brother in-law is handy with wood and I gave him my measurements and did a bang up job on fit & finnsih and getting the maple to match pretty darned good.

BTW, I have a small TV in the bedroom and I also put a 17" AC/DC flat panel there so we can watch TV in bed without a genny. Tied that one into the ceiling light and it works great.

Anyways, I hope this helps anyone out there with an 8311.
Cheers
Z
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8311 TV 014-s.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	3451   Click image for larger version

Name:	8311 TV 016-s.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	3452