RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

'98 7370 Tradewinds - potential purchase advice?

Hi all! i am brand new to the thread and the RV community. My wife and I are considering a 98 Tradewinds with 48K miles (Cat 3126 w/allison trans). The unit is overall in good condition, interior is pristine, exterior shows its age. Needs a new ext.door, vinyl graphics are peeling and a small patch in rear of roof needs some attention. All and all the rv looks sound. I am planning to test drive this week, generator wouldn't start as it was out of propane, so we are filling up on test drive. Assuming everything (appliances,ac, heat etc) works and it drives i would like to make an offer. My concern is that NADA is saying 16k avg retail and the folks are asking 25k.
2 questions -

1. Is there anything i should be looking for that are problematic with the unit?

2. Thoughts on the price??

Thanks for the input!!

OJ

OliverJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New tires will cost about $3000,00, New house batteries cost about $600.00, new engine batteries $200 -$300, new water heater about $700. The Coach is 21 years old,
Ask me how I know all this. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #3

LOL! Thanks Rook! Tires were new under 10K ago. new Chassis batt last year. Haven't witnessed the furnace(s) yet.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have no knowledge of your specific unit but as was pointed out there will be expenses. Mileage on MH tires is irrelevant, age of the tire is what counts. I just changed tire that had maybe 15,000 miles on them but they where 10 years old which is pushing your luck according to common opinion here.
NADA is just a guide, on an older MH condition is what is important.
Do take the time to test everything and Waiter21 will hopefully be along with his MH inspection checklist.

Be realistic when purchasing and have a $10,000 reserve for unexpected expenses and upgrades you may want.

This is my personal opinion and from my experience what I did.

Do not let this scare you off, just want you to be prepared as buyers remorse is a terrible feeling.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the input! I know i need to consider the unknown. I like the quality and the Cat in the back is awesome!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
You might want to check the date codes on the tires.

For that Vintage coach it has very few miles on the clock. Average annual mileage is about 2,200 miles. Probably more miles in its heyday than recently.

So, 10,000 miles might equal 5 years or more of aging and lot rot. Many folks replace at 7 years of age for safety reasons.

MH tires Age out versus Wear out.........
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip! I will check when i test drive.

The gentleman seemed to be meticulous with the mechanics. He had the dealer inspect and service every year.

I have been a motorhead my whole life...harley's, snowmobiles, atv's and classic cars. First dive into the MH's...i am betting they are tinker toys!?
Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Check the ceiling for water marks, especially around the a/c's and shower area. I have had my Tradewinds since Nov 2004 and have had great luck with her until recently. Just a fridge cooling unit and generac generator (diesel) not staying on. One thing you should know is that seldom do you see a National RV on a lot or for sale, people love them and National did build a quality unit. I think the price is a little high.

Last Nov I took mine to Apache Junction and had the old decals removed and replaced by RV Graphics. She looks like new. They even cover the graphics with a warranty. Had electric power behind their shop for the week we were there. My cost was 3 grand, but well worth it.

When you test drive it take it on a freeway and if you live around a hilly area take her up a long hill and watch the temp gauge. If they used it out in the boondocks the dust/dirt will clog up the radiator.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

SgtJoe thx! The owner mentioned they were climbing the hills in Northeast PA and it got warm. Wondering if the RAD needs cleaning or replaced. as stated..prepare for the worst...

Is there any place i should focus on around the radiator that might show rust or oxidation...other than outlet/inlet?
Old 08-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
My 01 had a recall on the oil blow by tube, it was too short and caused the blow by to clog the radiator. I don't know if your year MH had the same problem. After the recall I measured the blow by tube and went to Lowes and bought a reinforced clear plastic tube about 18" and attached it to the blow by. It now extends below the radiator and out to the side. I have inside access to my engine and can see the rear to see if there is any dust/dirt/oil. Ask if he took it on dirt/gravel roads, I did once and it did have to be cleaned as it did cause the temp to go up. Cleaned it with my power washer using Dawn dish soap with water using the soap nozzle and rinse nozzle.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
My 01 had a recall on the oil blow by tube, it was too short and caused the blow by to clog the radiator. I don't know if your year MH had the same problem. After the recall I measured the blow by tube and went to Lowes and bought a reinforced clear plastic tube about 18" and attached it to the blow by. It now extends below the radiator and out to the side. I have inside access to my engine and can see the rear to see if there is any dust/dirt/oil. Ask if he took it on dirt/gravel roads, I did once and it did have to be cleaned as it did cause the temp to go up. Cleaned it with my power washer using Dawn dish soap with water using the soap nozzle and rinse nozzle.
Good information! It has access under the bed, so i should be able to navigate to see.

Anyone know if the '98 had probs with the HEUI Pump? or was that later models??
Old 08-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I have a 98 tradewinds, and take it cross country every couple of years. Solid motorhome, the only thing I have had issues with is it running warm, and the slide out giving me a little grief. I solved my issue with it running warm by cleaning the radiator and the CAC, and tightening the water pump belt.
Whiskyradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
Another potential problem could be the windshield. Check the weather strip,and the posture of both windshields, an old gasket can cause real problems.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #14

Thanks all!

I test drove the unit on Wednesday. Ran well. How hard does this allison shift. No hesitation, she banged through the gears and the j-brake will throw you through the windshield if you aren't tied in!

We took it to fill the propane to start the generator (NP66G) only to find a couple of critters had chewed the fuel pump ground and hot wire.

The owner said it ran warm on hills. Also, he pointed out the temp gauge wasn't working, he thought it was the sending unit. kinda scary being that it runs warm...but at least he was honest.

I haven't witnessed the slide operate, although it was out on my first inspection and in when i showed up to drive.

Owner said windshield doesn't leak, is there something specific i should look for around the frame?? i want to believe the guy, but this thing has sat for the last 20 months due to his health issues.

thanks for the input!

OJ

Planning on returning over the weekend to see the ac, heat and slide work.

Tags
advice, purchase, wind