Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
98 Tradewinds Cruise Control

Can anyone direct me to where I can find info, schematics, diagnostics for the cruise control on my 98 Tradewinds. I don't have any info on it and it's not working. I don't even know if it's a National addition or a Freightliner item. HELP!

Thanks, Kevin
K3ryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kevin:

Here's somewhere to start, providing that your 1998 is like my 1999 Tradewinds, which I believe is the case.

The cruise control is an original chassis/engine feature of the Vehicle Data Center (VDC) and Engine Control Module (ECM) that came from Freightliner. The control circuits are mostly digital however there is a cruise control disengage relay on the electrical center fuse cluster that I'd check first. It can be found at the center of the fuse cluster. As you look a the box there are 16 mini fuses (4x4) on the left with two mini relays to the right and two more sets of six micro relays (2x3). The cruise control disengage relay is the top left most micro relay of the first set of six. That would be the fourth micro relay from the right in the top row. I believe that two of the 12 micro relay slots on the right side of the box will be unused, one in each set.

I'll dig up a manual if you're interested in diving into the databus. Seeing that you too are an Extra, I figure you just might be up to the challenge.

DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Different fuse panel

I apparently have a differnt fuse panel. I only have 7 relays in place, 3 in a vertical stack (with one empty slot below the third), and then 4 in a vertical stack to the right of the three. These are all at the extreme left of the panel. Fuses are to the right of the relays.

I did check the funtioning of the steering column switch and saw continuity between various pins depending on the swtich positions. Without a schematic can't tell exactly what pin and switch compination should lead to continuity but at least it appears to be functioning. Check for voltage levels comining into the switch at the connector in the column. Saw absolutely no volatages coming into switch using combinations of any of the four pins. Probably should have some kind of voltage there but read 0.0v on any of the pin combinations.

Called freightliner to get schematics but ran into difficulties because I'm not the original owner and it's registered in his name. Also the had a comuter system upgrade causing the tech I spoke with to not have access to older chassis docs. Was transferred to another person who does have access but had to leave a call back message. Still waiting.

Where did you get the databus manual you mentioned? Freightliner?

Dead in the water at this point without some schematics, unless someone has some other ideas.

Checked everything else people suggested, emergency/hazard flasher fuse (flasher working so fuse must be OK), bad connection to the steering column switch, brake pedal engagement switch, and all other fuses.

Kevin
K3ryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3ryl View Post
I apparently have a differnt fuse panel. I only have 7 relays in place, 3 in a vertical stack (with one empty slot below the third), and then 4 in a vertical stack to the right of the three. These are all at the extreme left of the panel. Fuses are to the right of the relays.

I did check the funtioning of the steering column switch and saw continuity between various pins depending on the swtich positions. Without a schematic can't tell exactly what pin and switch compination should lead to continuity but at least it appears to be functioning. Check for voltage levels comining into the switch at the connector in the column. Saw absolutely no volatages coming into switch using combinations of any of the four pins. Probably should have some kind of voltage there but read 0.0v on any of the pin combinations.

Called freightliner to get schematics but ran into difficulties because I'm not the original owner and it's registered in his name. Also the had a comuter system upgrade causing the tech I spoke with to not have access to older chassis docs. Was transferred to another person who does have access but had to leave a call back message. Still waiting.

Where did you get the databus manual you mentioned? Freightliner?

Dead in the water at this point without some schematics, unless someone has some other ideas.

Checked everything else people suggested, emergency/hazard flasher fuse (flasher working so fuse must be OK), bad connection to the steering column switch, brake pedal engagement switch, and all other fuses.

Kevin
I attempted to attach a diagram from my tradewinds, maybe yours is the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chasis Schematic.pdf (654.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf Chasis Schematic 1996.pdf (654.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe the sensor to the wheel ABS is loose or dirty....
Old 12-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

I dont believe there is any abs, correct me if im wrong. But my cruise works and i can lock em up tight

Tags
cruise control