Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

99 National Tradewinds diesel overheating issues

We are having issues with our 1999 Tradewinds RV it's a Freightliner chassis and a cat C7. It was overheating we change the radiator the water pump the thermostats and the temperature sensors. Wen we started driving the gauge pegs on hot and the buzzer went off. We checked the temp with an infrared temperature sensor gun and it read 190 to 209. Cat and freighter have been no help. We don't think it is a head gasket.
RAINEYACRES is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two thoughts:
1. Have you or your mechanic plugged into the data port and read the engine temperature off the ECM?
2. When you say Freightliner, is that FCCC in Gaffney, SC? I ask because I've had mechanics call "Freightliner" and get completely wrong information. Then I've called or emailed Freightliner Custom Chassis and get the correct answer. I have found them to be extremely helpful. P: 864-487-1700 fcccservice@daimler.com
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:12 PM   #3

Our mechanic was unable to find the data port to plug into. I have Googled it and sent him all the links I could find so hopefully he'll be able to take a look at that. And no I did not call that Freightliner but I will now and I appreciate your help thank you very much.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #4

I have a data port on a National just above the radiator...its trapped between the top of the radiator and the rubber air dam to prevent air from going around the radiator.

If you system is going under pressure at 15 psi I honestly don't think you have a problem if you are seeing only 209 as a high temperature. UNLESS you've had the system open and there is an air lock to prevent good circulation of the coolant... I'd turn the heater on full blast and see if the coolant is looping correctly in the heater circuit... I would expect that any air lock would show up here first...
Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On the '99 Tradewinds there are typically two data port connections.
1. Loose on the passenger (left) side of the engine in the battery bay. (photo)
2. Inside the driver's side panel under the transmission selector (difficult to see even when you know where to look) mounted to the wall. (photo)

When you call Freightliner they will need the last six digits of your VIN. It should start with an "F".
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #6

Thank you for your help. It's very useful.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #7

We did try running it with the heater on full did drop the Tampa little bit on the gauge but it didn't make any difference when we were driving down the road we can make it about a mile and it pegs back on hot.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
The driver data port on my 99 Tradewinds was zip tied to the top of the steering column. I was replacing the headlamp switch when I found it.
Lift the bed to expose the top of the motor. If the pre cooler is plugged with oil the engine will overheat due to restricted airflow through the radiator. My Cat is a 3126B.
ATSpringHil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Thus was exactly my problem with overheating. Had to remove intercooler and radiator to flush between them.Not cheap! Freighliner of Wyoming did the work and left a shop rag in the intake which 900 miles later destroyed the turbo! Very expensive!!!!! They took no responsibility....��

99 Tradewinds 7371 -98 Jeep TJ modified
tufftj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, heat, heating, national, overheating