RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #1

99 Tradewinds Dragging Slide

I'm wanting to refloor my tradewinds, but the slide is dragging so severely that I want to fix it first. I tried to get info from 2 large Las Vegas repair facilities and found some interesting info. 1) the manufactures don't give the dealers any tech data on slides and 2) one facilities (the former National dealer) comment on my request for tech data or to talk to someone with corporate knowledge was "Good Luck". Neither of these large firms had a clue about National's. Anyone out there had any experience with this slide system (which visually appears to be no system at all, just a big box pulled in and pushed out with brute power; no guides, no rollers, nothing but draging the slide back and forth across the flooring), maybe some historical pictures or ideas of how they stopped the dragging. Thanks.

alandbarbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On my 04 National Tropi Cal the slide that gave me the most problems actually just sat on a white block of what was either plastic or nylon. One day I found the block just sitting in the middle of the floor. I was never sure if it had been attached to the slide or the floor but I jacked up the slide and glued it to the bottom of the slide rather than the floor. I had the coach for a couple more years after that and had to re glue it once or twice more but that kept it from dragging. Possibly you are either missing a block or it has worn down.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There have been several posts on here regarding this slide out system. Your's is probably like mine, you should have 3 plastic glides that run on top of the floor. The slide is moved in and out via a geared motor and 2 gear racks. By replacing your flooring I take it that you want to do a laminate floor. My personal experience in doing this would be Not to do it. Laminate flooring and these glides are not real compatible. When I did mine and brought the slide in for the first time I had damage on the bottom of the slide out, since repaired. I have also had scratching of the laminate flooring. The laminate's square leading edge causes the damage to the slide bottom, so I had to taper the leading edge of the laminate with a wood chisel (not an easy job) and then epoxy that taper to harden it. Those glides work very well over carpet as the carpet is soft and gives as the glides run over it. If your slide out has a roller system then the laminate flooring seems to be ok. It sounds like yours may even be missing those glides. I hate to burst anyone's plans but there are things that are better left alone, just ask me.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
On my 04 National Tropi Cal the slide that gave me the most problems actually just sat on a white block of what was either plastic or nylon. One day I found the block just sitting in the middle of the floor. I was never sure if it had been attached to the slide or the floor but I jacked up the slide and glued it to the bottom of the slide rather than the floor. I had the coach for a couple more years after that and had to re glue it once or twice more but that kept it from dragging. Possibly you are either missing a block or it has worn down.

BD, What was the size of the block you are referring to?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Alan, if you just lift the carpet flap that moves over your floor, you should see the glides or skids. If you don't see any, that would mean that some time they were removed or lost.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandbarbj View Post
BD, What was the size of the block you are referring to?
Memory is not what it used to be and the coach has been gone for about 3 years. If I remember right it was about an inch high if that , maybe an inch deep and about 6 inches wide. I would run the slide out put a jack under the end where I found the block, then jack it up enough to slide the block under the slide. I would then slather the top of the block with epoxy glue place it under the slide and use wedges between the block and the floor to hold it up until the glue dried.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I was stuck in Vegas in Jan for 3 weeks because I not only broke a black plastic skid on my 12' slide but it caused my slide motor to break a tooth. The motor was 1001.48 from Power gear who only builds them when ordered.
I tried to get Johnny Walker to fix my slide but they wanted to remove it. Big Bucks to do that. There is a Mobile Mechanic in Las Vegas who saved my bacon and actually has my slide moving in and out better then before. Give him a call, straight up honest and does excellent work.
It's called Affordable RV Service & Repair, his name is Mike and his number is 702 401-4771 Tell him Joe said he knows what he's doing. Read my two comments on the work he did for me. I may live in SLC Utah but if my MH needs any work and it's driveable it's going to Mike.
Check him out on www.rvservicerepair.com

Also, like Dan said bring slide in about half way and lift the carpet lip up and look under and if your's is like our's it will have three black ABS plastic skids under the front of the slide floor. These WILL NOT work too good on laminate. What I did was to install new carpet where the slide sits and then did laminate on all the rest.

Any questions, give me a holler. BTW, he has a big shop out towards the Base with 3 bays.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I was stuck in Vegas in Jan for 3 weeks because I not only broke a black plastic skid on my 12' slide but it caused my slide motor to break a tooth. The motor was 1001.48 from Power gear who only builds them when ordered.
I tried to get Johnny Walker to fix my slide but they wanted to remove it. Big Bucks to do that. There is a Mobile Mechanic in Las Vegas who saved my bacon and actually has my slide moving in and out better then before. Give him a call, straight up honest and does excellent work.
It's called Affordable RV Service & Repair, his name is Mike and his number is 702 401-4771 Tell him Joe said he knows what he's doing. Read my two comments on the work he did for me. I may live in SLC Utah but if my MH needs any work and it's driveable it's going to Mike.
Check him out on www.rvservicerepair.com

Also, like Dan said bring slide in about half way and lift the carpet lip up and look under and if your's is like our's it will have three black ABS plastic skids under the front of the slide floor. These WILL NOT work too good on laminate. What I did was to install new carpet where the slide sits and then did laminate on all the rest.

Any questions, give me a holler. BTW, he has a big shop out towards the Base with 3 bays.

I found Mike's shop and have an appt Monday morning. I'll post results later.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
So, what happened??
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
So, what happened??
I met up with Mike and now have an appointment for next week (12 March) to have a modification made to the bottom of the slide to lift it up off the floor, and to install laminate flooring in the living area. I'm also talking to him about a full body paint and graphics. I'm estimating for about 20% of the cost of a new(er) coach, I can restore my Tradewinds to an acceptable level. I'll post the results after he finishes with the slide and floor.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Sounds like he's going to do what he did to mine on the slide. So far, so good. I'll post some pics of what he did later.

Does your slide have the 3 black plastic skids under the front of the slide? They are 12x6" and fastened with 3 screws on each side.

I saw a motor home he had painted when we were there. Has he quoted you a price yet? PM me with that.

We've been looking at a lot of used and new MH's, but have found none that can compare to the storage space we have in this coach. So we are really serious about redoing this one. Besides I love the mpg from this CAT 300.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Here's how he fixed mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1582.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	34539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1583.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	34540  

Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #13

From my and his discussion, that is how we will be doing mine. The paint quote is super low (tentatively). We really haven't done a comprehensive estimate yet. The slide and floor will be 9 to 12 hundred labor. The flooring and trim from Lumber Liquidators will be about 800. I'm really looking forward to getting this done. aj
Old 03-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #14

Got the MH back today. The slide is fixed and the floor is in. If you're going to use laminate, don't go inexpensive. The stuff I bought from Lumber Liquidators wound up being, for all practical purposes, cardboard!!!!! I thought it was masonite. Sure wish the installer would have thrown the BS card when he saw what I had bought. I'll leave it at that.

Tags
slide