RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

99 tropical heat pump

I am a new owner and am getting no help from the seller with my tropical 6371. I am pretty sure that I have heat pump only for heating since I can't find a furnace anywhere. My duo therm control instructions say to press and release the mode switch until it says "heat pump". I can only get it to say "cool" or "fan only". I have the operators instructions printed out. But it's not working for me. I am having trouble with the living room slide too. The kitchen side is dragging and I might be missing the plastic part that it slides on, but I don't know where to look. I have this summer to figure everything out before I take off in the fall. Any help is greatly appreciated.

dratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt if you have a heat pump without a furnace. In a 1999 you may have a separate and independent furnace. The furnace will look something like the following on the outside.
Suburban SF-42Q Quiet Gas Furnace Ducted 42000 BTU Trailer Camper RV

If you cannot get the controller to list the heat pump, you may not have a heat pump. Take the inside filter cover off get the model number of your unit and Googel it to get specific instructions.

Welcome to iRV2 and sorry you are starting out with problems.

Ken

Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Right you are! It looks a little bit different than the one you quoted but I'm pretty sure that's what is under my bathroom sink. I'm hopeful that all my problems are small and solvable. So far so good. Thank you very much for getting me headed in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I doubt if you have a heat pump without a furnace. In a 1999 you may have a separate and independent furnace. The furnace will look something like the following on the outside.
Suburban SF-42Q Quiet Gas Furnace Ducted 42000 BTU Trailer Camper RV

If you cannot get the controller to list the heat pump, you may not have a heat pump. Take the inside filter cover off get the model number of your unit and Googel it to get specific instructions.

Welcome to iRV2 and sorry you are starting out with problems.

Ken
dratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I own a 99 6371. You should in fact have two furnaces. One under the bathroom sink on the driver side (assuming the same layout) and one on the passenger side just forward on of the rear wheels. You probably also have the old style Duotherm control panel that had only 4 buttons instead of 5

It should actually say "furnace" when you cycle through the mode selection. You choose the zones by pressing the top two buttons at the same time.

If you aren't seeing that choice, then you may have a problem with your control panel or your furnaces are controlled separately but it seems unlikely. My Dometic AC's on my tropical don't have the Heat Pump arrangement so I can't speak to that specifcally.

In general, I have found my control unit temperamental (no pun intended)

Sometimes it will just blank then come back, or it is reluctant to switch zones or what have you. It maybe that there was a problem with it which is why the previous owner is being unhelpful.

You can do a panel reset by doing the following. Good luck

RESET
If the Comfort Control Center is not operational, inad-
equate data or no functions occur, reset the Comfort
Control Center to factory setting. When a reset proce-
dure is done, all previous program memory is re-
moved. The factory setting of 72F for cooling mode and 68F for heating modes are entered.

To initiate a RESET, do the following in the order

Turn control on to ensure annunciator data and light
are present. If data and light are present, continue to
next step.

Depress MODE switch to activate annunciator light.

Simultaneously depress the bottom two buttons
(temperature UP and DOWN) and hold.

While holding these buttons down, depress the
MODE button once and release.

Release the two buttons previously held down.

Depress the MODE button once again.

At this time the light should extinguish, and the mode
should register "OFF". If not, repeat Steps 2 through 6.

Retest system ensuring that all functions are present
and operational.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Duo-Therm 4 button control is prone to having problems from age dirty or oxidized contacts . You can try to clean yours with some contact cleaner, or order a re-conditioned one off of Ebay for about $100.00, or do as I did upgrade to the five button control. Got the P/N's from Dometic and ordered the parts from Adventure RV, the best price I could find. Easy job if you can do electrical work, the control boxes in each AC need to be upgraded along with the control, they are mounted inside the return air of the AC's. I have two AC's with heat strips and one furnace. When I purchased mine the 5 button control was $73.79, the controls boxes were $95.99 each total with shipping and tax in CA. $279.67 in November 2012. If you go that way Dometic will need to model number of both AC units to get you the correct control boxes. The new control works so much better then the old 4 button, just push one button to change zones.

P.S. If you remove the control to clean it, don't let the phone cable fall into the wall. Been there done that.

Chuck Boone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote