RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
AC Condensate Drain

Hello all.
Can anyone tell me where the condensate drain for the chassis mightbe? I have flooding on a long trip and I just cant find the drain. Now I use max air for less humidity but I would still like to fix that.
We are headed for Tallulah Gorge state park in Aug so would like to keep my feet dry.

James Wilson
2004 5355 Dolphin

Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
If you are talking about the dash A/c, the drain is inside the hood area. The A/C unit is bolted to the firewall on the leftside and is black. The two A/C freon hoses lead into the housing. The drain is at the bottom of the housing.

Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Debaets thanks a lot. I went and looked at mine and still no drain hose. I must be missing something. Any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
James, if your coach is like mine, you don't have a drain hose. I thought mine was missing and after researching it, I found there is none. I had called an Evans Tempcon authorized shop. The water condensation just flows down onto the frame. The person at the shop also said if was normal for the evaporator housing inside the coach to build up with moisture when in humid conditions. I've had condensation drip down onto the carpet in front of the passenger in humid climates. It's sort of poor engineering.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:50 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well Fred I certainly agree that is poor design. We have soaked large towels on a hot humid day. Now if someone has fixed this maybe they can tell us how.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 05 dolphin has a drain hose.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
SP, during my researching the drain hose issue I was told that some units have them and some are designed without them. I don't know what years had them. I wanted to put one in, but the way the drain hole is designed, it would cause a slight back up of condensation. It all came to my attention when I had the CAI installed and the condensation was dripping down on the air intake box. I have since taken the CAI out and went back to the stock tuba as I couldn't handle the added noise. To be honest, I didn't notice any difference in performance.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wet floor

Hello to all, newby here.

After returning this week from a week long trip in Tahoe, CA and having a wet floor again, it was time to check it out.
So today was to be my clear the clogged condensate drain line. Or so I thought, none to be found. So I go to Evans/mfg site no luck and then to this site. Well here we are all smart people with a comon problem looking for a comon answer. After reading what you all have said and researched I'm going back out and look to see if it makes since to drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the evaportor black box and install hoses down below the frame elevation.
Thanks,
Gupster
Gupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Be very careful. If you drill into the evaperator you're talking BIG bucks. Also that may only allow more humid air to enter the evaperator and cause more condensation.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Belgian thanks for your advise, for note the evaporator is pretty high up in the black box.
Well after some head scratching and feeling around I found a drain hole in the bottom of the black plastic box, it was open. It is at the lowest part, its is also an area for the vac. motor that controls the door for inside and outside air.
With the door open to outside air (dash control on ac) most of the condensate drips through the air inlet openings and to the ground at least while not moving, some did make its way down to the bottom drain. What I did get was water collecting in some pockets in the black plastic botton flange where it mounts to the fire wall (kind of reinforcement) this is also at the floor elevation. This could be where the water is migrating inside.

With the door open to inside air (dash control on max ac) all the condesate makes is way down on and around the door (which now blocks the outside air inlet openings), the water on the door gets to the hinge which is above the bottom of the black box drain area, this again is near the floor elevation.

Well my thoughts ended with the same as what has been said here by others, a poor design. The only thing I could come up with was to drill 1/4" holes in the botton of the reinforcement pockets. This will not let water collect and fill up to the floor elevation before it can find its way to the drain or the inside floor.
End result I think the floor will stiil get wet.

Sorry to ramble, just my thoughts.

Thanks again,
Gupster

Gupster is offline   Reply With Quote