Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

Adding new fluid to power gear levelors

how hard is it to check the fluid level and add new fluid to hydraulic
power gear levelers?? I don't see where on the jacks you check the level
and where do u add the fluid? do u need a special funnel or can u just
pour in the fluid??? any help is appreciated. thank
mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need to know the year and model of your coach and mfg. of your hydraulic levelers, if you know it. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Depends on make and model as stated. For me it's pretty easy. Open bay door - follow instructions. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3283557399.jpg
Views:	2600
Size:	568.6 KB
ID:	43235

Do you see anything that looks similar?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
On my 1999 Tradewinds the tank is in the first small bay aft of the wheels on the drivers side. I need to use one of these 18" Long Neck Black Funnel to add or change the ATF.

On your Sea View it's probably up front behind the drivers side headlight and I don't know if you need the funnel or not. It will look just like the picture flagship posted.

Dick
Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is in the left rear bay and I finally got several of those clear condiment bottles to fill it with. I put a paper towel on the ground under the reservoir and slowly fill it till it starts to run out and then clean it all up.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just changed my fluid, took about 20 minutes with cleanup. Somewhere your going to have a reservoir that holds your fluid. If you don't know where it is follow one of the hydraulic lines from a jack. It will lead you to the tank. I wipe the tank down to remove the possibility of introducing dirt. It should have a filler cap, drain plug and possibly an overflow screw. The filler cap should have a dip stick attached to it inside. Drain the fluid, replace the plug and refill. The type of fluid should be printed on the side of the tank. For Power Gear normally Dex111 auto trans. fluid is recommended. I use a long neck funnel to accomplish the filling. By the way, this is all done with the gear retracted. I do mine every couple of years. You'll be surprised what comes out of the bottom of the tank. Hope this helps.
fillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #7

phil

I found my reservoir for my power gear levelers. however my levelers do no have a
dipstick. just a oil plug on top of reservoir to add fluid and on the bottom to drain.
so I drained all the fluid out and refilled it with all new fluid. now my jacks do not work?? is there a reset button I have to push? they worked fine before I drained out all of the fluid?? I probably should not of drained it as the fluid looked very clean for as long as it has been in there?? anyway filled it up with new fluid and now
it don't work? I have a 1999 seaview with powergear levelers? any help is greatly
appreciated? what can I do to make myh jacks go down and up again?

Frankie
Old 07-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check that the parking brake is applied, check that key is On and coach battery's (salesman switch) is on.. I also changed my fluid today.. then checked the jacks, nothing,, the coach switch was Off.. the pad lit up but no jacks till I turned On the switch.
Let us know..
Old 07-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There should be a "dipstick" attached to the "fill cap". And.......the tank must be filled to a certain level or the "low fluid" sensor will not let the pump come on. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
levelers

After you refilled the tank, does the pump run?
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on where they put the tank. on mine it is fairly easy to add, A witch to check as designed.. I moved the windshield washer fluid tank (Which was in the way) and this made it very easy to remove the screw I am supposed to remove when adding.

On mine the procedure is as follows.

1: Remove screw from end of tank near filler neck at top

2: Remove cap

3: Add Dextron III till it drips out the screw hole

4: Replace cap

5: replace screw.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

thanks for your wisdom don. found the problem of course it was operator error.
I did not have the salesmans power on in the coach. as soon as I turned on the
power the jacks are working perfectly. thanks again for your help. again I was so very surprised that my fluid was so clean when I drained it? probably didn't need to
drain and refill but I did anyway. should hold me for a long time now. again thanks
Frankie
Old 07-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mr sea view, If we really did learn from our mistakes I would be a genius.. Did your jack tank take 6 1/2 quarts to fill??
Old 08-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #14

yes don

6 1/2 quarts to fill. u know ur stuff. next venture is to find a good outside little
4 inch fan for my refrtigerator. the one I have took a dump as itr was a cheap
valterra fan made in china. of course it lasted about 7 years as I am surprised.
have been looking online thru amazon but haven't found the right one yet? I guess
they are all made in china? I don't want to spend a lot on one maybe 20-30 bucks.
any suggestions? what fan do u use or do u even use one? since I am here in calif
I do need it on certain occasions. not all the time. should probably put it on a thermostat, but will probably just put it on a on/off switch so I can just use it when
I need it? anyway take care and happy camping. Frankie

Tags
fluid, power, power gear