Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2018, 08:27 AM   #1

Advice for dry camping

I need advice for first time camping with no amenities. My generator is serviced regularly and is run while driving and on short stops so I am OK having it on when I need power, I know the ¼ tank rule. Park rules say generator must be off by 9:00 PM. My main concern is the refrigerator and heat, if we need it, running on propane at night while we are sleeping. I have the genny exhaust pipes extensions and new C/M detectors but are there any extra precautions I am missing?

The weather is supposed to nice and it will just be 2 nights this time.

Thank you for any input.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #2

Do you not have sufficient batteries to keep fridge and furnace powered all night? It also seems wasteful to keep the generator running while driving as the coach should be able to keep the coach batteries charged. Check your batteries and coaches charging system. Something is not right.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only reason to run the gen all night is in case you need the air cons for cooling.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

Suggest you do a energy inventory of your rig. Batteries size and number, furnace 12 volt draw, refrigerator type (RV or residential). Many RV's can handle a single night without running the generator, some cannot.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Do you not have sufficient batteries to keep fridge and furnace powered all night? It also seems wasteful to keep the generator running while driving as the coach should be able to keep the coach batteries charged. Check your batteries and coaches charging system. Something is not right.
I must have worded that wrong. I use the generator while driving for the house AC because there are others that would not get the benefit of the dash AC. We live in Georgia and the temperature can get pretty hot. My batteries are almost new and do hold a charge.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

your active C02 or 'propane' detector should be your protection... you should be fine.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Suggest you do a energy inventory of your rig. Batteries size and number, furnace 12 volt draw, refrigerator type (RV or residential). Many RV's can handle a single night without running the generator, some cannot.
When we do not have shore power or the generator running the refrigerator auto switches to propane. I can drop the temperature down and add a bowl of ice to that compartment should may hold it over night. My main concern is the propane running while we sleep. I've never had an issue but this is the first time I am camping with no shore power.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
your active C02 or 'propane' detector should be your protection... you should be fine.
Thank you.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
I will, thank you
Old 03-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #10

Aloha lenjin

My Northern Lite truck camper heater fix.

Factory camper heater fan is loud and consumes much propane with a high unadjustable BTU factor for such a small area, here is my fix for that.

1. Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe

2. Esup Mini USB 3 Speeds Rechargeable Portable Table Fan, 4.5-Inch, for Home Office and Travel

3. 1 lb propane bottle refill adaptor and filter.

I place fan just above and behind the heater for heat circulation.

This setup uses little 12v battery draw and propane.
Septuagenari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septuagenari View Post
Aloha lenjin

My Northern Lite truck camper heater fix.

Factory camper heater fan is loud and consumes much propane with a high unadjustable BTU factor for such a small area, here is my fix for that.

1. Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe

2. Esup Mini USB 3 Speeds Rechargeable Portable Table Fan, 4.5-Inch, for Home Office and Travel

3. 1 lb propane bottle refill adaptor and filter.

I place fan just above and behind the heater for heat circulation.

This setup uses little 12v battery draw and propane.
Thank You for the suggestions. I have a couple of the 12v fans.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
I need advice for first time camping with no amenities. My generator is serviced regularly and is run while driving and on short stops so I am OK having it on when I need power, I know the ¼ tank rule. Park rules say generator must be off by 9:00 PM. My main concern is the refrigerator and heat, if we need it, running on propane at night while we are sleeping. I have the genny exhaust pipes extensions and new C/M detectors but are there any extra precautions I am missing?

The weather is supposed to nice and it will just be 2 nights this time.

Thank you for any input.

I have used the propane refrigerator for over 10 years and never had an issue. They vent to the outside so if the area is clean and no spider webs I don't worry. As for heat, the furnace can deplete the batteries depending on the outside temperature and where you have the stat set. I bought a Heater Buddy for use just in case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #13

The gas fridge, furnace and water heater are built so that air and fumes, or gas leaks, vent outside the RV.

That is so even if broken, you will not get popane, which is heavier then air, buildup inside the RV. It falls to the ground and gets dispersed by the wind.

If you check the stove knobs and they are off, your quite safe.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The gas fridge, furnace and water heater are built so that air and fumes, or gas leaks, vent outside the RV.

That is so even if broken, you will not get popane, which is heavier then air, buildup inside the RV. It falls to the ground and gets dispersed by the wind.

If you check the stove knobs and they are off, your quite safe.
Thank you so much, I knew they were vented out but never though about it.

Tags
advice, camping