Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Advice needed - mounting power sun visor

My husband and I are very excited about our first RV purchase - a 2007 National Tropi-Cal.

As we drove West, we quickly realized the standard sun visors were of little help in blocking the sun, so we could see the road. We would like to install a pair of Carefree Power SmartVisors. We are DIYers and plan to purchase OEM rocker switches to put on the dash to operate the visors. But we are having trouble understanding how the shades mount on this model between the front overhead cabinets and the windshield. It appears the shades cannot mount to the ceiling as they will interfere with the privacy curtains and the plastic that surrounds the cabinets is curved and seems too flimsy to mount the shades.

Can anyone please describe, or better yet provide pictures, of how the shades were mounted from the factory, if you purchased this option? Also, if anyone has added the SmartVisor to their RV aftermarket, could you please explain how you mounted it (or provide photos)?

Thank you in advance.

Denise
dllederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #2

I just wanted to say hello & welcome, and post so I can track the info you get as power visors,shades are in my future.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We completed the installation of power shades in our Tropi-Cal RV. We ordered two of the Flexi-Visor FLX680 motorized shades in black vinyl (National Part No. 132942) from Auto-Motion Shade Inc. in Ontario for $192.00 per shade, plus shipping. We also ordered two switches with rocker covers to match the existing ones on dash of our rig. The project took us the good part of a day to complete but we are very happy with the results. I am posting a couple of photos from the project and would be happy to share info as to how we achieved this for any interested DIYers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	31357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	31358  

Name:	IMG_1263.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	31359  
dllederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
We replaced our OEM Auto-Motion tiny visors AND flimsy curtain with MCD ShadeMan Duo day/night shades. The day portion are manual, and the night portion I wired into the OEM wiring for the removed sun visors. The night visors work as full width sun visors when needed ...awesome!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Power Sun Visor Install

Here are pictures of our installation. We dropped the plastic shell from around the bottom of the cabinets, cut away the "hump" for the bubble tube TV and covered it with a nice piece of wood to which we mounted the shades. Our shades came with a wireless remote, so we did not have to mount or wire switches. I tapped into the power for the dash fans.

Name:	front-end remodel.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	31483
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
To see or not to see.

It looks good, but I would think that you would want to be able to see through it just a little.
Not a whole lot but just in case a bird hit your wind shield.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carefree, national, power, powersmart, sun visor