Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
air filter change, 2000 tradewinds

I have a 2000 tradewinds and have never changed the air filter. If someone has had that experience I would appreciate all the how to information I can get. Thanks in Advance
JOE
jomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always have mine changed when getting it serviced annually, but if you want to do it yourself, you can get to the filter by removing a panel that is inside the rear bay. My 7370 has the electrical hook up in that bay and a panel comes out and the filter cannister is behind it.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
vegasdan

Thank you for your reply. The one year difference between our exact models may make a difference but I'm very interested to check out your info.
Good luck and fair weather on your new adventure. Joe
Old 07-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We have a 1999 Tradewinds and also have the panel in the electrical bay for Air Filter access, same as Dan's. I had mine changed last year with annual service and it was a two man job. One needs to be outside reaching through the panel and one needs to be inside reaching down into the engine compartment. The six inch hoses on either end of that puppy fit tight and are hard to access to get leverage.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter Minder.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	11825  
Old 07-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Theberrys

Dick:
Thanks for your thread and especially the picture. Your bay area looks the same. The previous owner put a shelf across where the access panel is and I never realized anything was there. BIG HELP! Also whats a help is your advise as to the work involved. I have decided to let the real guys take care of it as I'm short of the extra pair of hands. Again, thanks for your reply and have a GREAT Holiday.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama View Post
Dick:
Thanks for your thread and especially the picture. Your bay area looks the same. The previous owner put a shelf across where the access panel is and I never realized anything was there. BIG HELP! Also whats a help is your advise as to the work involved. I have decided to let the real guys take care of it as I'm short of the extra pair of hands. Again, thanks for your reply and have a GREAT Holiday.
You might take time and remove the shelf before taking it in to get the air filter replaced, if they do it you might end up with another hour at $150 per..... As far as I've been able to determine from my Cat books, the air filter should be changed every other year. Of course I still look at the filter minder.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
vegasdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
You might take time and remove the shelf before taking it in to get the air filter replaced, if they do it you might end up with another hour at $150 per..... As far as I've been able to determine from my Cat books, the air filter should be changed every other year. Of course I still look at the filter minder.
Dan:
Good suggestion. I took the shelf out this morning and made sure the mech. knew where the access was. I know an old deisel mech. that tells me for the most part guys like us that spend most of our time on regular highways, these filters last a very long time with respect to the filter minder. When I purchased my MH in 05 it had a fairly new filter. I have put 36000 mi since and the minder sits at 18. I am changing it strickly because of the use time. I have read where filters were old but lightly used and desinagrated because of age. Filter material in the turbo is not a good thought considering your mention of $ 150 per hr. I do most of my own maintenance and it gulls me to have someone else do this job.
Joe
2000 Tradewinds 300 turbo
Yorba Linda, Ca.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Vegasdan

Dan, it's been a while since we talked and your advise was really helpful about the air filter. Especially the access panel location. I did not know it existed. Caterpillar makes two filters available, one with a side inlet and another referred to as straight. On my 2000 Tradewinds the air is drawn from the left side. SOOOOO! I thought that I needed the side inlet. I bought that filter to find the one we use is the straight. That took some time especially going back to order the straight filter, which is less money. With the two filters being available I wanted to take the panel off to see if I had the right one. I did! I originally intended to have a mechanic do the job. I can now tell you all to save your money. It is not a tough job and worth your time. The filter comes a a single unit. It has a rubber mouth on one end that fits over a pipe that leads the the turbo. To your right as you face the filter. The other end is flat and a flex tube with a large cap fits over the left end. There is a hose clamp that fits over the rubber mouth on the right hand side. You'll need to pry the tube out of the rubber mouth. the tube has a lip so I used a wide flat nail puller to push the two apart. The left side cap is screwed to the air filter in a couple of places with self tapping screws. Once freed the cap can be pushed aside and the filter removed. There are two compression latches that hold the filter in place. Those are easily released and the filter can be pulled out the left end of the cradel. When the new filter is in place new holes will need to be drilled in the filter end to secure the cap to the new filter. Use a small bit because the self tapping screws will take it from there. This was my first attempt and most of the time was taken up finding out how to remove the filter. I would estimate the next job would take me thirty minutes. I think the dealers want approx. 2 hrs labor time. I definately think it's worth it. Thanks for all your help in the past.
JOE
Old 08-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 98 Tradewinds......and there is NO panel to access the Air Filter!!!....you have to go through under the bed. You are on the "lucky" side if you have a panel. I just paid a CAT service place to replace mine.....and at $150.00 an hour, it was pricy!! Just the filter costs was about $125.00! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Rook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
I have a 98 Tradewinds......and there is NO panel to access the Air Filter!!!....you have to go through under the bed. You are on the "lucky" side if you have a panel. I just paid a CAT service place to replace mine.....and at $150.00 an hour, it was pricy!! Just the filter costs was about $125.00! Rook
I'm really sorry to hear of your situation. It's hard to believe that two years apart would make that kind of difference especially since the body difference is next to none. A couple threads before mine one of the fellas provided a picture of the panel and it's location. That picture was all the difference. I can't immagine trying to replace that big filter hanging over the top of the bed frame or from below because of the exhaust. Fortunately the filters last quite a while. Also, your filter seems expensive. The side entry filter I purchased first was around 125.00 but when I changed to the straight filter it was around 85.00. Somehow it all dosen't seem fair. Joe