Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Allison Trans Brake

My retarder switch stopped activating the down shift process. Is there a fuse and where is it located.
Thanks
tradewindbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewindbob View Post
My retarder switch stopped activating the down shift process. Is there a fuse and where is it located.
Thanks
tradewindbob
Is your "retarder switch" supposed to activate a "trans brake"... an "exhust brake", (like a Pacbrake)... or a "compression release brake", (aka: Jake brake)?

On my coach there's a 10A fuse in the "Hot With Ignition ON" fuse panel fuse for the Pacbrake.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
It's a trans brake
Old 11-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
It's a trans brake
I was not aware the Allison had a "Transmission Brake" though a parking/emergency brake may be tacked on the end of it (External to the Trans) What it has is the "Grade Breake" which is not a brake at all but a computer program. It senses braking (Service brakes) via the brake light switch, as I might ad does the cruze control, and will downshift so as to use engine braking when it is engaged and selected other conditions are met

There are several fuses but Step one is make sure the brake lights work as designed.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
mrk

Quote:
It's a trans brake
Bob,
What year and Model is your Tradewinds? I've got a "99 7371, and the switch says "Exhaust Brake". Maybe the newer TW offered a transmission retarder/"brake", but since your unit is a 36 footer, I wouldn't expect it to be much newer than mine, as the TW started to get longer around 2002.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
allison trans brake

Thanks for the info. Apparently it's not a "Trans Brake" what it does when turned on the programming selects second gear and shifts down when it's safe to do so. The selector switch stopped working and I am looking for a fuse that's failed.

Tags
allison, brake