Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Any Dolphin owners had AC problem

I've got a similar post in general discussion. I thought I'd put it here too and maybe see if any other National owners have experienced a similar thing.

Ours is a 2005 National Dolphin. It's got the Coleman Mach basement mounted AC/Heat pump. Generator is 7kw.

Tried to get the ac or heat pump to cycle yesterday with generator providing power. Outside temp was in high 50's, temp inside coach was 66. Neither heat pump or the ac would come on after several minutes. No breakers tripped anywhere.

Anyone else experienced the same issue?

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
I've got a similar post in general discussion. I thought I'd put it here too and maybe see if any other National owners have experienced a similar thing.

Ours is a 2005 National Dolphin. It's got the Coleman Mach basement mounted AC/Heat pump. Generator is 7kw.

Tried to get the ac or heat pump to cycle yesterday with generator providing power. Outside temp was in high 50's, temp inside coach was 66. Neither heat pump or the ac would come on after several minutes. No breakers tripped anywhere.

Anyone else experienced the same issue?
yes, last summer.ac worked and then didnt.replaced the thermostat. the ac worked for about another month.then the only thing it would do was blow.took the cover off of the ac.the capacitors and the board was burnt. replaced them and the starters , it worked . i found out that a surge protector was needed to protect it from low and high voltage.so far, so good.ck. that and see. hope this helps you. bob

biker-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker-bob View Post
yes, last summer.ac worked and then didnt.replaced the thermostat. the ac worked for about another month.then the only thing it would do was blow.took the cover off of the ac.the capacitors and the board was burnt. replaced them and the starters , it worked . i found out that a surge protector was needed to protect it from low and high voltage.so far, so good.ck. that and see. hope this helps you. bob
Pulled the cover off of the ac bob. Didn't look like anything was burnt. Tried it again and the ac worked, though it sounded like the compressor or compressors were laboring to start. Thought ok that's a good thing. Now lemme try the heat pump. Switched thermostat to electric heat and the propane heater came on. Darn thing is baffling me. I had the switch in the rear most compartment on the drivers side in the on position to allow both compressors to run. I was running on the generator. The outdoor plug the motor home stays plugged into is only 15 amps. Enough to run lights, tv and keep the battery charged. Definately won't run the ac. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you to replace the board and the capacitors?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2004 dolphin. found out the heat pump won't come on if thermostat is set over 5 degrees above the actual inside temp. Otherwise the unit switches to propane furnace. the way to "cheat" the pump is set the thermo 4 or 5 degrees at a time. till you get up to desired temp. I believe the air works similar but not positive. good luck.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Pulled the cover off of the ac bob. Didn't look like anything was burnt. Tried it again and the ac worked, though it sounded like the compressor or compressors were laboring to start. Thought ok that's a good thing. Now lemme try the heat pump. Switched thermostat to electric heat and the propane heater came on.
The system is working as designed. The built-in safety system has a 3 minute delay between operations of the compressors. When you went from A/C (compressor running) and went to Elect Heat, the three minute delay kicked in and defaulted to LP heat.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
The system is working as designed. The built-in safety system has a 3 minute delay between operations of the compressors. When you went from A/C (compressor running) and went to Elect Heat, the three minute delay kicked in and defaulted to LP heat.

fred
Thank you Fred. Good information.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

No issues with mine other than the AC will blow you out of the bed at night. I usually use the one compressor at night as it wakes me up every time it comes on.

I wish there was a way to turn down the force of the air. Anyone know if there is?
lenjen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #8

Just a thought, maybe you should unplug the 15 amp shore power and have only one source of AC while trying to get things running.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
Just a thought, maybe you should unplug the 15 amp shore power and have only one source of AC while trying to get things running.
Gary, thanks for the recommendation, but I wasn't on the 15 amp when I tested the ac. I disconnected it and started the generator so I'd have full load capability. It's a 7k gen. The 15 amp it's plugged into is a GFCI and I figured anything more than the microwave or tv would trip that thing in a second.

Tags
dolphin