Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #1

I read up on the Power gear literature regarding the ATF fluid to put in the taknk if the level gets low. I see both The Type A (ATF, Dextron III...) or the Mercon V for larger temp swings. Then I read in another Power gear tip sheet that I also read that Power Gear does not recommend mixing fluids. So does anyone know if it is just the Type A or Mercon? I am assuming National put in just the Type A but want to make sure.
Thanks
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #2

I read up on the Power gear literature regarding the ATF fluid to put in the taknk if the level gets low. I see both The Type A (ATF, Dextron III...) or the Mercon V for larger temp swings. Then I read in another Power gear tip sheet that I also read that Power Gear does not recommend mixing fluids. So does anyone know if it is just the Type A or Mercon? I am assuming National put in just the Type A but want to make sure.
Thanks
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
When I started getting jack down alarms while driving I topped mine off with Dextron III. I checked with the dealer when I got home from our trip and they said that was correct. This was 4 years ago and I have had no problems since.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV 4 2,
Per Power Gear literature, I've used Castrol ATF Dextron III in my Power Gear reservoir when low. You might call Power Gear to verify with your 2008 unit.

Ed
Old 03-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just drained mine and refilled with mercon V
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #6

We just bought our 2008 SeaBreeze (W22) in January. We had a problem with the jacks down light on the Power Gear jacks. We called Power Gear and they told us to make sure that the reservior was nice an full. They said 'use what ever fluid was in the tank.' They then explained that under no circumstances should you mix the Dexron III with the Mercon V. They said that each of these fluids is a different color, Dexron being red in color.
They also told us that on the 2008 vintage system that we could fill the reservior until the fluid just dripped from the lip of the fill hole. Of course the only method to fill the reservior was to have the jacks in the 'up' position and the coach as level as you can get it before opening and topping off the reservior.
The reservior was about a quart low from the factory so all seems to be workign well now.
Curious is offline   Reply With Quote