RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

Anyone replaced AC/Funrace controler?

My DuoTherm Confort Control is not working. I have checked fuses and breakers which have power and show they are working. Been awhile since I powered up my system. I noticed the last time it was on that the information seemed to be fading. This is the same controller in many models of NRVs in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Anyone had a similar problem and what was the cure?

Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try this.....and don't laugh. Turn OFF all florescent lighting. If that fixes the problem, then turn them back on, one at a time until you find the culprit (defective unit). Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:00 AM   #3

It is a bad light. I knew I had one but did not know it was in the on position. Turned it off and controller came on. Thanks Rook!
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
mrk

I would never have guessed that the lighting could affect the thermostat.

Not to hi-jack your thread, but I've also got a T-stat problem, albeit, a different problem. When I try to change between the front and back hvac systems (systems 1 & 2 on the T-stat), more likely than not, it doesn't change to the other system, but it does change the currently displayed system to another mode (fan only, a/c or heat, off) and/or fan speed.

Is my issue dirty contacts, my own fingers not contacting the buttons exactly simultaneously , or something else?
Old 09-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try this......get a spray can of Electronic Contact Cleaner. Remove Duo-Therm Controller from wall, open it, and spray and clean all contacts. Do a "reset" and start over. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 09-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Here is a picture I did for someone needing to replace the power switch, but it will show you how to remove the circuit board to get access to the switches.
Dick
Old 09-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
The ballast (DC to AC Converter) in the lights radiate into the communication wires in the phone cable and confuse the commands when the ballast goes bad. The phone wire isn't shielded and is very susceptible to inference.

If you need to replace the CCC someday it's a very expensive project. The four button CCC's are very hard to find these days and the newer five button controllers require you replace the circuit boards in both AC units.

Dick
Old 09-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dick, in addition to what you have said, the bad Ballast puts a roughly 30 Volt AC component, peak-to-peak, (modulation) on the 12 VDC line to the Thermostat and the Thermostat says "no thanks" and then shuts down. Rook

Old 09-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #9
mrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Here is a picture I did for someone needing to replace the power switch, but it will show you how to remove the circuit board to get access to the switches.
Dick
Looks like I'll be pulling it out this weekend.

After I remove the unit from the motorhome and remove the 4 screws to the circuit board, allowing access to the front side of the circuit board, I will spray electric contact cleaner on all buttons and anything else that looks like it makes a mechanical connection.

I'll report back with the results. Thanks, guys.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler2 View Post
My DuoTherm Confort Control is not working. I have checked fuses and breakers which have power and show they are working. Been awhile since I powered up my system. I noticed the last time it was on that the information seemed to be fading. This is the same controller in many models of NRVs in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Anyone had a similar problem and what was the cure?
we had the same problem.. went to bottomdollar surplus on e-bay... THEY had to look for about 2 weeks to find a 2 button unit (which I assume you have) They finally found one ..used... for about $85 bucks . This didn't leave us much choice so we got it...
Miracle of miracles.. IT WORKED ! & only took 5 minutes to install (we used the base from the original) So try ...
----> Bottomdollarsurplus on e-bay
tmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't forget to "spray" and clean the phone jack and plug. Rook

Old 09-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
mrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Don't forget to "spray" and clean the phone jack and plug. Rook
I got a little free time this morning, so I headed out to the storage lot to check on the controller. I took it apart and liberally sprayed the contact cleaner on all switches and, yes, I even did the phone jack and plug. I worked the switches several times, let it sit a while to make sure it was dry, reassembled, and re-attached to the wall.

When I turned it on, it worked like new! It's good for another 15 years. Thanks again for all the guidance.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:14 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I also had an issue with my Duo-Therm Control Center, being that the buttons were working very intermittently. I took the above advise and removed the unit from the coach. After getting it out, I noticed that the switch was WAY loose and discovered the solder had diminished to the point that I was very surprised the on/off switch even worked. I re-soldered it and afterwards cleaned the circuit board and buttons with an electronics fast-dry cleaner. After re-installing it, everything worked as it should. Very inexpensive solution. By the way, I am an electronics tech and did not think twice about self-repair. If you are not a tech, no need to be skittish. Very simple repair if you have the right tools (small phillips screwdriver, solder iron and electronic cleaning spray).
TrueReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The true value of this Forum is the willingness of it's readers and it's active participants to check-in frequently, and then take the time and research effort to SHARE their personal experiences.....and, those of others they have read from this Forum, with needful RV owners who are asking for help. Lots of valuable information ($$$$) here.....and it's all "FREE" to you. So remember to give your "feedback" on the fix and your appreciation. Rook

Tags
ace, replace