Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Anyone run into this??

So I'm laying the laminate flooring and tried to screw the metal down for the transition piece between the laminate and rug and ran into metal about a 1/4" below the plywood sub floor. Anyone ever ran into this or is it just me again with this double orphan Tradewinds 7390??

I'm wondering if this is a protective sheet of metal for the fuel tank.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have hit them before, It's most likely a support beam under the subfloor, just cut the screw off a little if you did not mess the hole up if it did just add some toothpicks and wood glue to fix
Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe.......once again you have proven what is always true for me......."If it looks easy......it ain't!" Happy Turkey day!! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When I did my Dolphin, there were carriage bolts here and there holding down the 3/4" subfloor to the frame. Since I'm sure your TW also has 3/4, you must have hit one of those.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #5

Sub floor

Wow! My Islander is on a different chassis, a CC dynamax, when I cut a 5"X12" hole (cat Hole) into a basement compartment for the litter box, my flooring was a little over 2 1/4" thick, it has 1/4" plywood on the interior floor side, 1/4" plywood on the underside with a black coating, and both plywoods are laminated to foam insulation. Makes a good sound deadener and and insulation.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Joe.......once again you have proven what is always true for me......."If it looks easy......it ain't!" Happy Turkey day!! Rook
Yep, Rook, you got that right. It all looked easy to pull the carpet squares I put in a few years ago and add a strip of oak threshold for the slide to move up and in on. Then because of that I break one of the black plastic skids that is on the bottom of the slide which it moves over the floor on. I find a piece of the same material, heat it, bend it and install it. Still, the skids scratch/gouge the laminate. Decided to go to carpet under the slide and laminate on the rest of the floor. Come up with great idea to hold carpet in place by installing metal carpet transition strips on edge of carpet under the skids. Slide worked great coming in, but on the way out the ATTACK skids grab the metal strips and bend the heck out of them. A few hours later after I manage to get the bent strips and nails from under the slide I think why not just see if the carpet and pad will stay in place while the slide moves in and out. Well, it did. I couldn't believe it, so I ran the slide in and out at least a dozen times. I was really happy. Now I go to install the oak transition strips between the carpet and laminate, figuring I really got this made now. HAHAHA, the metal strips had 1" wood screws with them, so off to the store to get shorter screws so I don't puncture a fuel tank or water tank or worse yet a holding tank. Well that's what started this thread. So I Gorilla glued them in place Weds and am trying to build up the nerve to go out today to see if the glue worked. I even left the furnaces on to keep the MH heated to help the glue.
The wife wants me to install a 47" LED Smart TV in the space where we took out the recliner. I'm thinking we could do it with one of those up/down automatic cabinets. Then it dawned on me, "JOE, DON"T TRY IT, IT LOOKS TOO EASY.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote