Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #1

Are Motorhome Manufacturers Sadists?

I have come to the conclusion that motorhome manufacturers are sadists! Why do I say this? Read on

First a bit of background on me. I was an F4 pilot in Vietnam, I have two engineering degrees and a master's in engineering along with a degree in education, chemistry and physics with a double major in English. I have an IQ of 165 and for a living I troubleshoot water and waste systems all around the world including nuclear power, chip manufacturers, medical, you name it. I also start them up, install them, audit them, run construction crews, in other words I know how to solve problems and the source things. Or at least I thought I did until I got my motorhome.

My wife and I bought a used National Tropical, a 98 model on a 97 Ford f53 Chassis with a 460 Ford V-8. We figured we'd give recreational vehicles and the like a try and if we like it we get a bigger and better one down the pike. When we got this one we knew we would have to put some money into it, but the price was right so we bought it.

Upgrading the suspension was easy. Sumo springs and Koni shocks. New tires?. No problem at all. Then the fun started.

Maybe it's my flying background but everything I drive or fly has to be perfect or it doesn't go. I then started to get to the little stuff.The wiper delay system did not work. Some research showed that the delay circuitry was in the wiper stalk. No problem, or maybe not. I went ahead and ordered a Ford multi-purpose stalk for 1997 f53 chassis. Wrong! Finally yanked the one that's in there and found that even though it's a Ford product it actually is for a 97 Lincoln. I assume that goes for the whole steering column! I guess it would have been asking too much to use one from a 97 f53?

Of course the wiper motor couldn't be Ford either, its by a company called Denso. Had to get an air conditioning valve, which was also not much of a problem however the control module for the vacuum doors was shot. Think this was by Ford? Think again! It's by a company called Evans. Evans won't sell directly to Consumers so I had to find someone to buy it for me and ship it.

I still have a few odds and ends to do but hopefully everything will be complete by the end of next week. My question is this; why do the people who make motorhomes source basic parts like multi-purpose stalks, wiper motors and air conditioning controls from people other than those who made the chassis? Or, why are some of the parts on the chassis not actually specific to that chassis even though they are by the same manufacturer?

I'm glad I still have lots of hair because I've been tearing it out on a regular basis trying to find parts that should be simple to locate or cross reference. Does anybody have any words of wisdom as to what the point of cabin manufacturers going all over the compass for parts is, rather than concentrating their source in some small group of logical and easy to find manufacturers? I don't care about the cabinetry or the toilet or the sink or the stove, but cab air conditioning? Windshield wiper motors? Steering column accoutrements?

I think that motorhome manufacturers just like to see DYI people suffer!

On the plus side, the backyard shakedowns that we have done have been fun and we really do like the motorhome. I just hope that if we decide to go bigger, better and more expensive that we can find a manufacturer who supplies basic chassis gear in a hopefully more logical fashion!
F4Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
hmmm yes
i laugh as my tuscany dash must have at least four different brands of parts in the a/c unit.
plus a new evap from NAPA.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #3

Please don't sell yourself short and be so unassuming..............

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Please don't sell yourself short and be so unassuming..............
And I'm very modest too!
F4Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Full agreement by the way Evans is a common A/C maker in RV's

Think about this. 1970s Ford or GM to replace a heater core
"hemostat' the hoses then disconnect from heater core
Remove about a dozen screws
Lift lid
Lift fiber pad
lift out Core

By the way this is top rear of the engine compartment easy to get to ,
30 minutes and you have time for a cup of coffee mid job.

Today:
Clamp the hoses
Evacuate A/C system, disconnect lines at fire wall and seal off
Dissassemble half the dash
Slide the Evaporator out on its rails
Remove core from behind it.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
why do the people who make motorhomes source basic parts like multi-purpose stalks, wiper motors and air conditioning controls from people other than those who made the chassis?
If you are using your claimed high IQ properly you would know that there would be very few manufacturers of multi-component items that make all of the individual parts themselves. Why would you expect RV manufacturers to be any different.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
To the OP,

I agree 100% with your sentiments.
Now you see why I completely prefer to Build it my self when it comes to RVs.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #8

Or, you need to remove the dash to replace a heater core....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #9

I'm not sure I understand the 'complaint', either. I'm not aware of any vehicle manufacturer of any sort that makes all their own parts. Even the ones that wind up with 'their' name where imported or mostly built somewhere else, before final assembly, almost just like an RV!

While I have critiques for the RV industry as a whole, I think all of us owners and complainers should have to work at these offices and factories for a while to 'really' see how it all comes together. "it aint' easy" as many have said.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #10

Although cars made today are much like a MH when it comes to parts being made up from a host a manufactures to make a whole system, at least you can go directly to Toyota for example and get the part(s) you need to fix the system. They don't send you on a wild goose chase for parts, or point fingers at each when it's covered under warranty like they do in the RV business. We haven't had issues with our current MH, but over the years with other RV's they have seemed to be confused as how to get, where to buy, or who even makes the actual parts(s).
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #11

While I see your point, I think that you're comparing too totally different animals in the field. If you call Toyota about your sirius radio not working, they'll probably tell you to call Sirius. If you have an issue with your goodyear tires, I'm sure that you'll call Goodyear, not Toyota - they just put them on, they didn't build um.

A car also doesn't have two different air conditioning systems, doesn't have a leveling system, doesn't have an inverter, doesn't have a bathroom, a kitchen, a bed(I wish it did!), a microwave, propane heating, electric steps, awnings, slide rooms,,,,,, you get the idea.

(though, I imagine we WOULD have a lot more dump stations if cars DID have bathrooms!) : )

it's all good... travel, enjoy!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #12

Now the other side of the story.... Two trips to the dealer after buying new from MHSRV, in 2.5 years and 23,000 miles a go. The first trip to the dealer was to have then show me where the fuse was for the dash 12 volt receptacles. The second one was to repair damaged to the rear cap (a landscaping trailer swiped it while parked). 16 days at Youngbloods RV to order receive and install the parts from Thor; repair the fiberglass and repaint it. A perfect repair and repaint match on a perfect coach.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
While I see your point, I think that you're comparing too totally different animals in the field. If you call Toyota about your sirius radio not working, they'll probably tell you to call Sirius. If you have an issue with your goodyear tires, I'm sure that you'll call Goodyear, not Toyota - they just put them on, they didn't build um.

A car also doesn't have two different air conditioning systems, doesn't have a leveling system, doesn't have an inverter, doesn't have a bathroom, a kitchen, a bed(I wish it did!), a microwave, propane heating, electric steps, awnings, slide rooms,,,,,, you get the idea.

(though, I imagine we WOULD have a lot more dump stations if cars DID have bathrooms!) : )

it's all good... travel, enjoy!
I get the point about all the living amenities, but I'm just talking about the Car as a whole vs the MH and components that are in both a car/MH, ie power train, AC, brakes, tires, glass ect.

And you are mistaken, at least about Toyota. It's funny you mention tires and Sirius. We had a problem with Sirius and Toyota handled it without us having to contact anybody, then they dealt with Sirius. Same with a bad tire we had. Even with 7,000 miles on it, seeing a sidewall blister( for lack of better terms), took it to Toyota. They replaced it with a new tire, no cost to us, and they dealt with Bridgestone. Both issues, at separate times, were handled within an hour while we waited in the lobby watching TV having coffee/donuts that they supplied. And I'm sure there are even other vehicle manufacturers that offer equal or better than Toyota.

You won't see that in the RV world, you'll get the "you're going to have to leave it and we'll call you when we know what the problem is". That could be anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks. The RV Industry could be up to speed with the Vehicle Industry if they really wanted to, but there's really no incentive for them to do so, because even the way it is we still keep buying them. But I still love my MH, just makes me fix more things by myself.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #14

Some of some of you are missing the point. Let's take the multifunction switch for instance. My assumption was that since Ford provided the f53 chassis and running gear that the steering column would also be that of the appropriate year Ford f53. Apparently it is not because the multifunction switch and other components of the steering column are not for an f53. I don't see that it is that unreasonable to assume that something like the steering column would be of that ilk. Of course they do not bother telling you what the steering column came from and there are no identifying marks to inform you. It appears that it came out of a 1997 Lincoln or Crown Vic but I wouldn't swear to that either.

Take the windshield wiper motor as well. This thing is more or Less mounted on the chassis so one would logically expect it to be Ford f53 but it is not. It is Denso. My question is, why?

Let's look at the air conditioning controls as well. My assumption would be that it would be logical for the manufacturer to use Ford parts as they would fit the chassis and thus the controls would be Ford, not Evans. The controls themselves look fairly generic , just like any other manual air conditioning and heater controls you would find in just about any older automobile. Again, once you identify them it is not problem finding most of these parts, it is just problematic that it is not evident that they are by a different manufacturer. If you start by assuming that they are Ford you're barking up the wrong tree. The only way to really find out whose they are on my older rig is to remove them and look for identifying marks. The bulk of the problem comes in trying to find out where the interface is between Ford and non Ford parts . To me there is very little logic in the lines of demarcation but then again I didn't build the thing either.

Tags
motorhome