Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Auto steps actions incorrect?

2007 Sea Breeze 1311, Ford.
It seems to state in the owners manual that the steps should have two different main actions, depending on the switch position. One is the fully auto, extend and retract with the opening and closing of the door. The other is to lock it extended in camp, or to lock it retracted for travel, both NOT responding to the door opening and closing. The latter is what ours is not doing. No matter which position the switch is in the steps extend when I stop and open the door, thus running into high curbs and other obstructions that I can't see from inside. I fully expect that will burn the motor out eventually.
Is my automatic step working properly, or should I look for a fix?
Thanks,
carlsojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
That's how mine work. I expect the logic is when you open the door you want the steps to extend in any case. One could take a nasty spill if the steps were not extended and you exited without knowing.
When I start my coach the steps retract if extended with the door closed no matter what position the switch is in.
Dick
Old 03-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

Ours goes out when door opens, up when closed but only with the key in.When key is out, will extend out and stay out until we put the key in. Our step buttom only turns on the step light. Otherwise the step light only comes on when we open the door.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are working as designed. A friend of ours stepped out without checking the steps and broke his leg in 5 places.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #5

Key in ignition? ours will stay extended as long as key is out of ignition. Will only go in and out when door is open with key in ignition.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Thanks!

Thanks to you all! Good to know I'm not imagining things.
So how do you make sure you don't keep hitting things with the step? I can't really tell yet how far I am from an obstruction from looking in the mirror, maybe that'll come with practice? Also, sometimes the sun prevents me from seeing well enough. Perhaps I should just tell my wife she needs to stick her head out her window and tell me what to do! She'd love that, especially on a rainy day...

Oh, and I'll check about the key in the ignition thing. I may be always removing it out of habit. Since we only just got this rig my experience is limited.

I fell headlong down some stairs in December, and other than a lot of pain for a while, walked away, just a real pretty bruise. Figure that's my last freebie, so yeah, I don't want to break my leg in 5 places. Ain't nobody got time for that!
carlsojr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps