RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Awnings block view

Our coach has awnings on all the windows, But we do not use them as the block so much of the view out the windows. Are there awnings that don't block so much of your view? They were a waist of money we never uses them. This isn't the best picture to show the problem but it is one I had available.

In this photo look to the left out the windows and see the blue, those are the awnings, you might as well have the blinds down.

jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We only put our awnings out when they are needed due to direct sun. If you don't put them out when they are not needed, your problem is solved.

RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Add a removable extension to your hold down strap and adjust the amount the awning is out. Problem solved. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We don't use ours for the very same reason.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #5

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I installed awnings on all the side windows of our last MH and really miss them on our current one. Of course 80% of our camping was dry camping, so keeping the heat out was the main reason for using them. Even if it was 80-90 degrees, we would leave the windows open and awnings out to keep it from over heating inside as we would leave the cat alone while we were out. Don't trust that power would not go out and over heat the interior.
Maybe do like the others have suggested and make up some way to have them 1/2 way down.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Add a removable extension to your hold down strap and adjust the amount the awning is out. Problem solved. Rook
Been doing this for years, it's simple and works.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #7

I can see using ours more in the hottest part of summer if we are on a site without a lot of shade.
If we are in a very shady site or it's not one hundered fourty-lebbin degrees outside, I'd rather have them in so we can see out more.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #8

I have seen the fabric replaced with sunscreen material. Looks great, doesn't flap in wind, can be rolled up wet, and does a surprising good job of deflecting rain. Plus improves visibility and helps with cross ventilation inside. This might be the answer to your problem.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
I do the same thing. Simply take a piece of cord and put a loop on both ends. I have a cord with several loops so I can adjust the awning to just where we want it. I agree with you, if you hook them with the factory strap on at full length, it is just too much.

PS Our awnings are the same color as yours.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Jay, I notice on your picture that you haven't moved the wooden trim piece that is behind the light above the sink. Although I have made many mods to mine, the very first one was to move that piece out in front of the light. I think it was meant to be there, but one of the workers put them in the wrong place. Moving it keeps the light over the counter and not in your eyes. 10 minute job.Click image for larger version

Name:	1491931557363.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	157928
Sorry about the sideways picture, I don't know how to correct it. ADMIN,can you do that?
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	1491932778795.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	157929
Also as you can see, I removed the coffee maker from under the cabinet and built a shelf there. Made it so that it will hold a 3 gallon water jug over the sink. We don't drink the on board water. It is also a good place for the small Keurig. I tapped into the electric and put an electric strip there on the wall. (Not attached to wall yet) National did a stupid thing when they put the plug in front of the sink, right in front of the silverware drawer.

Tags
awning