Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #1

Backup camera refurbish

Researching options to update ‘03 tradewinds backup camera
Is the signal cable from end cap to driver position useful / compatible with modern camera feeds?
Is the power wire at the camera standard 12vdc?

Alternatively, reliability of wireless feed of 40ft
2 android samsung smartphones with remote viewfinder can stream the length of Tradewinds, but climbing the ladder to duct tape the fone is getting old
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 03:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacan View Post
Researching options to update ‘03 tradewinds backup camera
Is the signal cable from end cap to driver position useful / compatible with modern camera feeds?
Is the power wire at the camera standard 12vdc?

Alternatively, reliability of wireless feed of 40ft
2 android samsung smartphones with remote viewfinder can stream the length of Tradewinds, but climbing the ladder to duct tape the fone is getting old

My cable is multi-wire. I just cut the ends off and installed new ends to match the new camera .... same procedure at new display. 12vdc was carried on 2 of the wires in the cable. Forget wireless .... way too many drop-outs.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This place has all the answers RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All)
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

Been wondering about this too. My original camera works ok, but I'm sure there are way better options now for not much money.

What system came with our coaches?
Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
My garmin GPS has a wireless camera that took the place of the old one, just needed power for the transmitter in the back of the bus, and a good place to mount the new camera. Works great, and super hi resolution.
Whiskyradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskyradio View Post
My garmin GPS has a wireless camera that took the place of the old one, just needed power for the transmitter in the back of the bus, and a good place to mount the new camera. Works great, and super hi resolution.
Stupid question perhaps, but is the video displaying on the original monitor or on your Garmin?
Old 05-31-2019, 03:20 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Stupid question perhaps, but is the video displaying on the original monitor or on your Garmin?
Just on the new garmin GPS screen. I took the old monitor down, and just use the garmin camera now.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
My cable is multi-wire. I just cut the ends off and installed new ends to match the new camera .... same procedure at new display. 12vdc was carried on 2 of the wires in the cable. Forget wireless .... way too many drop-outs.
Interested in your quote...as an example, I currently have a 6 pin camera input connector. pins are as follows 1..video 2..dc +12v, 3..motor + 4..audio 5..motor - and 6 gnd
I really don't care about moving the camera up and down nor audio really, so could i clip the wires and make a usable system? is that what you are saying?

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:26 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Been running a wireless camera for 4 years and never had a drop out. You obviously get what you pay for.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:02 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Camera replacement

I just went through the drill of replacing my camera and head unit. I used the existing cable. I also cut off both ends of the cable at the camera and head positions. The wire consists of 4 strands: black (-), red (+) white and a shielded semi-transparent. I used the white and shielded to carry the video signal. I could not find either the reverse wire or a way to fish down to the tail light to splice in reverse there. I ended up placing a toggle switch at the dash so I can turn it on and off as needed.
skluebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
backup camera screen

I wired the existing camera directly to the Overhead TV. I have to run the inverter and put the tv on the correct input but at least I got rid of the funky backup monitor. plug and play from Amazon:
ASA OCA85E Adapter Cable &
ASA 31300006 Wireless Receiver Adapter

This is for the monitor end on my Voyager backup camera, not sure about the camera end.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Just replaced my Voyager camera and 7" monitor through RVcams.com on my 2003 Tradewinds. They have a kit that uses the old wiring and mounts. Just remove and replace. Took about 45 minutes and now have a great new color system that looks like the factory installed system. Not the cheapest way to go, but the best. $540 for the whole system.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went with the 9" monitor to fill the hole that the old Voyager came out of!
Cut the wires and soldered new ends on and good to go! Display $70, Camera $47
https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Inch-HD-4...DQ0B:rk:1f:0
Camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-28-2019, 05:35 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced the old original Panasonic B&W with a color. While I did that, I also installed a LED work-light on the rear cap to help with backing and working hooking up the toad in the dark.

Rear camera replacement and rear LED work-light – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, refurbish