Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #1

Banging from the under floor behind the drivers chair.

I read someone else had this problem but there were no responses to his post. I think I have this same condition with my 2005 Dolphin 5342. I can hear and feel a banging in the center of the coach just behind the drivers seat when going over bumps.

I looked under the coach and it appears the ends of the slide rails near the center of the coach are not attached to anything, just floating. In one of the power gear illustrations I see a U-channel at the rear of the rails with 90 degree angle brackets securing the slide rails to the U-channel. Looking under my coach I do not see and brackets or U-channel at the rear of the slides.

When the slide is retracted I am going to try driving a wedge between the floor and the bottom if the slide to see if that stops the banging. If it does I will figure out a mounting method at the ends of the slide rails.

I am hoping someone has solved this issue one way or another. It may not be the slide mechanism but I do not see anything else in the area.

All suggestions and/or welcome.

~Bill

Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

I had a loud bang noise when hitting bumps in our W22 08 Dolphin. At first it seemed to come from the ceiling or maybe from the side door or steps when heard from the driver's seat. Final on a rough stretch of road my wife really listened and felt with her hands and found it was coming from under the floor behind the passenger seat. It was odd how hard it was to zero in on. I removed the engine cover when we stopped for the day and from above visually saw a crack in a relatively thin gusset metal panel crossing between and above the 2 main frame rails just behind the engine. I bent one side of the cracked metal a bit to one side with vise grips so each side of the crack won't touch or bang together. There wasn't a sound driving all the next day and since then. I haven't repaired it yet, will either weld or splice the crack by bolting a steal bar across the crack. Maybe visually check this area, good luck.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #3

Greg,

Thanks for the tip! That is exactly where my noise is coming from. I did not see that particular gusset but I will certainly look again. My wife was down on the floor and said she thought the noise was coming from the exact area you described. I did not pull the engine cowling I only looked from under the coach. I saw the rear of the slides are not supported and started on that wild goose chase.

The coach is in storage but I will bring it home today or tomorrow and will report back ASAP.

Thanks again,

~Bill
Old 06-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #4

Hi Bill. I changed oil today on RV and checked how front slide mechanism rails are attached to RV on our Dolphin.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:40 AM   #5

Hi Greg,

Wow! There is quite a difference in the way our slides are mounted. I can clearly see yours are supported at both ends with weld joints. As I recall the front passenger side of the slide on my rig is floating and resting up against the bottom of the floor. I am going to bring the rig home today and attempt to get to solve this issue. Looking at your pictures there are major differences in the bracing around both ends of your slide. You appear to have tubing at both ends. My memory recalls I do not. I will take some pictures once I confirm.

Also I see a piece white Delrin that appears to be part of a anti friction surface. Once again I do not remember seeing that bearing. Are your slides Power Gear electric slides?

Thanks again you have been a big help. Your pictures are worth a 1000 words.

~Bill
Old 06-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #6

Well some good news and some bad news. I think I have located the banging from under my floor. As suspected it is (I think) the rear end of the front slide rail. I think my unit must have been built on a Monday or Friday. As you can see in my pictures the end of the rail is attached to a very small U-channel but only at the end rail and the small lip of the U-channel. If you look closely in the center of the side rail you can see a weld that appears to have failed. What really concerns me there is no additional support like shown in Greg's pictures. They are relying on that small U-channel to hole the rail. This may be OK as it really only needs to keep it from moving side to side. So I think the rail is moving up and down and banging on the floor. I have an appointment tomorrow to get it welded. I will try to get him to add a gusset or 2.

~Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV rail 1.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	207158   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV rail 2.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	207159  

Old 06-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #7

Hi Bill, Our 08 Dolphin was built 3 years after yours, so they may have made the changes later, maybe even to just beef up the rail mounts. Maybe the day it was assembled didn't matter. Our previous RV was a 05 5342 Dolphin like yours, but I never had a need to look at the front slide set up as it worked well. Our problems were with the rear slide gear box. ie. breaking pins & brass gear teeth.
The only difference I could see between our 08 and previous 05 was when the front slide of the 08 is fully out, it seems to drop down a bit more in it's final position and so the slide floor seems to be "flatter" on the living room floor, maybe a small design change in the slide rails, but can't say for sure. Maybe even slide adjustments where different.
If the weld appears broken, you are probably right about the cause of the noise and I think the welder shouldn't have a problem fixing it. Good luck and it will be interesting to know if this was the problem. Thanks Bill for the follow up and pictures.

Tags
driver, air, floor