Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2006 Dolphin with basemant air, In the summer when the outside temp is in the 100's the basement air has a real hard time keeping up. My question is can you put a roof mounted air conditioner in the place of the fantastic fan, and run it in conjuction with the basement air.

2004 Jeep Wrangler
RattlenRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2006 Dolphin with basemant air, In the summer when the outside temp is in the 100's the basement air has a real hard time keeping up. My question is can you put a roof mounted air conditioner in the place of the fantastic fan, and run it in conjuction with the basement air.

2004 Jeep Wrangler
Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 AM   #3

I had a similar issue with my '06 Dolphin this summer until I realized that the second compressor was blowing the circuit breaker whenever it would try to engage-making the system work on one compressor-are both of your compressors engaging?

2016 Grand Cherokee Summit
jagbuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
One easy tip to troubleshoot the compressors would be to run the generator and turn on the A/C. The gen. will have a slight surge when the A/C initially kicks on and an additional surge should be heard about 10-15 seconds later. Have you checked the return air filter?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
jagbuxx: yes both compressors are woring, on the generator and shore power, but just dosent seem to put out as cold of air as I would like. Fred: I havent cleaned the filter yet, that might be a place to start. thanks guys

2004 Jeep Wrangler
Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
keep that return filter clean if you expect optimum performance out of your AC unit.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
keep that return filter clean if you expect optimum performance out of your AC unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is real important if you travel with pets. I like to change mine every month, if the A/C or heat pump is used frequently.

Fred
Old 11-08-2007, 05:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had the same issue on my Dolphin. Both compressors kick in, but it is just not enough in really hot Texas summer conditions. In my previous Dolphin, the a/c tech. that checked the compressors sugested that I put a roof air in place of the galley fan. I did not ask him if the 50amp shore power or the 7000 gen set could power 3 compressors. The basement unit might have to be switched to the 30 amp mode. This is something I will explore next summer.
newk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my experience, high outside air temps require insulating the windows and vents against the heat & sunlight. I cover all the roof vents and place insulated blankets in all the windows, especially the front window. Yes, its dark, but it is cool inside. I have no problem maintaining 75-78º inside, when the outside temp is above 100º.

Fred
Old 11-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Fred

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Added roof air

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlenRam View Post
I did it. Go here...there are four pages so far. Joe

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/sick...ing-71405.html
Old 07-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
JVJ

Joe,
I clicked over and read the entire 5 pages, lot of good interesting information.
I assume you are still pleased with your set up and on problems have surfaced to date?
Thanks
J
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVJ View Post
Joe,
I clicked over and read the entire 5 pages, lot of good interesting information.
I assume you are still pleased with your set up and on problems have surfaced to date?
Thanks
J
It has been partly to mostly cloudy with occasional isolated showers. The humidity is up and the temperature down some. We are going to a State Park this weekend for the first time with the added roof unit. We might not even need it in this kind of weather. It is not a real good time to test the unit. I am waiting for the return of the sunny hot weather for a real test. I'll post here when we can give it good workout. Joe
Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
JVJ

Joe,
Would you mind sharing what the additional A/C ran to have installed? Or at least a ball park figure.
Thanks
Jon
JVJ is offline   Reply With Quote