Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2008, 05:04 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Of all things, I don't have photos of my batteries, but I think local repair shop has crossed the cables to fix non-charging house batteries.

Background: House batteries were not charging while driving. Repair shop said batteries hooked up wrong. (I don't see how they could, as I've never had both sets of batteries disconnected at the same time.) If my memory is right, there were two red wires on house and one on chasie.

Well, they moved the smaller red wire to the chasie battery.

Now house batteries charge, in fact way way high. In the past they have charged to 14.3 (on a digital volt meter) and now they are charging at 15.8 (Yes I know the high voltage is bad, but need to correct wiring first.)

I think maybe my diode bridge burned out (for some reason) so when the house batteries would not charge, repair shop moved what might be the charging cable.

Just quick looking (in cold weather) I can't find the diode bridge (splitter) for charging both sets of batteries at the same time.

First question, if you have an '05 Sea Breeze on Workhorse chasie, please tell me how many positive wires go to your batteries and which ones.

Secondly, does anyone know where the diode bridge is locted? I thought it would be in the inverter area, and it isn't. Looked around engine area without much luck.

Would appreciate the assistance.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:04 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Of all things, I don't have photos of my batteries, but I think local repair shop has crossed the cables to fix non-charging house batteries.

Background: House batteries were not charging while driving. Repair shop said batteries hooked up wrong. (I don't see how they could, as I've never had both sets of batteries disconnected at the same time.) If my memory is right, there were two red wires on house and one on chasie.

Well, they moved the smaller red wire to the chasie battery.

Now house batteries charge, in fact way way high. In the past they have charged to 14.3 (on a digital volt meter) and now they are charging at 15.8 (Yes I know the high voltage is bad, but need to correct wiring first.)

I think maybe my diode bridge burned out (for some reason) so when the house batteries would not charge, repair shop moved what might be the charging cable.

Just quick looking (in cold weather) I can't find the diode bridge (splitter) for charging both sets of batteries at the same time.

First question, if you have an '05 Sea Breeze on Workhorse chasie, please tell me how many positive wires go to your batteries and which ones.

Secondly, does anyone know where the diode bridge is locted? I thought it would be in the inverter area, and it isn't. Looked around engine area without much luck.

Would appreciate the assistance.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blue Ribbon,
I don't believe isolation is done with a diode setup. Any NRV I have looked at uses a solenoid relay for isolation control.
If you have one it should be in the compartment forward of the entry door. It is likely that a solenoid relay and/or control board malfunction could result in house batteries not charging while driving.

Does house batteries charge on shore power?
To what voltage?

If yes and to 13.2 to 13.5v, Check chassis batteries to see if it is at same voltage as house batteries. If not, probably isolation solenoid/system.