Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Question Battery disconnect not working

Due to a house battery failure ( and near catastrophic cook-off of a battery) I replaced both house batteries. After I installed the new batteries ( 2, 12V deep-cycle in parallel) (and a new starter) the battery disconnect doesn't work. The red light is on, but the momentary contact rocker switch doesn't have any effect.

My working hypotheses is that the rocker switch is bad or the interconnect solenoid is not working or both.

I'm not sure how to get to the rocker switch or a source for a replacement interconnect solenoid.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

FYI the MH is an '05 Dolphin 5342

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #2

When the rocker switch sticks in one position for more than a few seconds, the disconnect solenoid fries. It is mounted behind the top circuit board. Replacing it will do you no good unless you can fix the cause, the 69 cent rocker switch. The solenoids are available, and I apologize, but I do not have the source at my fingertips. It is from the same company which makes the entire circuit board. Don't even think about rebuilding the solenoid. They are built around a paper tube which swells when overheated and turns into char. (I tried). I'm sure someone will have the source - I was able to get one.

Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rather than trying to diagnose right now (possible red wine coma) I'll give you the phone number to RV Custom Products, who National used to mfgr their BCCs. Talk to Mary and give her your make, model and year of the coach. If you can get the part # off the control board, that might be helpful.

(562) 921-8353
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Thanks Doc & John. I ordered a replacement solenoid today and will track down a replacement for the rocker switch.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Be sure to take pictures of the board before disassembly and make a diagram of which wires (plugs) go where. The front board must be removed to access the rear where the solenoid is mounted.

Be sure to disconnect both house and chassis batteries at their terminals before working. Some of the 5/16" bolts on the face of the board are hot for 12 volts.

Reassembly is more difficult than disassembly. Mainly, the aforementioned 5/16" bolts. I ended up using a couple of extra internal serrated lock washers to secure the back side, as I couldn't get a wrench in there to hold either the head of the bolt or the washer, forget which.

The solenoid, by the way, isn't powered directly by the rocker switch. The switch triggers an NPN switching transistor on the board which in turn drives the solenoid. On mine, what happened was the wire for a slide out relay popped off the board, then laid itself on that transistor, frying both the transistor and the solenoid. I was able to speak at length with the tech who works on these boards at RV Custom Products. He was able to guide me to replacement of the transistor for a buck at Radio Shack. Trouble is, it still doesn't work. I must have toasted something else in the board. I'm going to wire the switch directly to the solenoid and see if that will work.

The job today is wiring up the new slide out motor, though. Got to string some #6 wire for that one. The factory #12 wire just doesn't cut it for 30 amps.

Good luck.
Doc (Rich)
N7FXR
Old 08-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #6

We have a 2005 Dolphin LX 6320 and our house batteries are 2-6V...not 2 12 V? Could that be the problem. Ours are 2 T-105 6 Volts
Old 08-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #7

Two 6 volts in series = 12 volts
Two 12 volts in parallel = 12 volts

All okay
Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #8

Doc...
When we bought our MH it came with 2 T-105-6 V Batteries. Could a coach come with 2 - 12 volts? Our's is 32 ft....w/6-V batteries....Would a 34 ft. need 12 volts?
PJ/Mar
2010 fusion and a dog
Old 08-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjgolpher View Post
Doc...
When we bought our MH it came with 2 T-105-6 V Batteries. Could a coach come with 2 - 12 volts? Our's is 32 ft....w/6-V batteries....Would a 34 ft. need 12 volts?
PJ/Mar
2010 fusion and a dog
PJ/Mar ..............

Most coaches come like yours. The designers opined that two six volt batteries were best for the intended use.

They are wired in series, so they act like one large 12 volt battery.

Some folks think that having two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel is better. That's fine by me. This is America, land of your opinion, etc.

I like the two 6 volt setup.

With batteries in parallel, if they have different internal resistance (they all do) one battery will charge more than the other one. In series, all cells get the same current and discharge the same. Not a complete explanation of course, but for simple purposes, adequate.

To answer your question directly, your coach does need and use 12 volts - and that is what you have. It's okay, don't change a thing.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Lit

National RV Owners Club
I'm having the same problem I also ordered a replacement solenoid yesterday.
"replacement of the transistor for a buck at Radio Shack". Would you please explain this a whole lot better. I'm not too familiar with circuits so a bit explaining or photo or drawing would be great.

Thanks for your time.
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit View Post
I'm having the same problem I also ordered a replacement solenoid yesterday.
"replacement of the transistor for a buck at Radio Shack". Would you please explain this a whole lot better. I'm not too familiar with circuits so a bit explaining or photo or drawing would be great.

Thanks for your time.
This repair is not something I would suggest for everybody. Even having a ham radio licence for 30 years, I found it a tough job - and it didn't solve the problem.

I suggest that if you are having problems with your circuit board beyond the switching solenoid, its time to call in a pro.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect