RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Battery Disconnect Question

When I parked my 1998 Tradewinds 2 weeks ago (before the constant rain, then snow, then cold) I turned off the Battery Disconnect switch by the door and the red light went out. Thought all was good. Went to start it up after 4 days and the engine started fine so I let it run about 15 minutes. Tried turning the battery switch back on - nothing - no light. Can't get generator to start either and no lights in the house.

Moved the coach 2 days ago - started fine drove it about 10 miles then to a better parking spot while I finish getting everything set up. Still no generator start and no lights and battery disconnect not turning on again (no little red light).

Any ideas? Can't find anything in the file box full of manuals and papers that came in the coach from dealer.

Thanks

Tio Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two possibilities.....1) house batteries are stone dead. (easy to check) or 2) battery disconnect Relay is Kaput or switch that turns it on is not operating for some reason......also easy to check. Here are your checks.... Reason 1).....use voltmeter across Plus and Minus house battery bank to see if you have 12.5 VDC. Reason 2) on the 12VDC distribution panel, check if you have 12.5VDC from JP2 to ground.....if not, then your battery disconnect switch is not operating for some reason.... This diagram should help...... Rook .

12v,120v power system all models.pdf

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #3

Thank You, ROOK - OK - this sounds really stupid (and it is since I am just learning this world of RVs) but where is the 12VDC Distribution Panel located, please?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Phil.... your 12 volt distribution panel is located in the last rear bay, passenger side, under a cover, on the back wall behind the Inverter. The 12 volt disconnect relay is located on the backside of the this circuit board. It cannot be seen from the front, but can be felt with your hand.....and if you have to replace it, you will have to remove the panel from the wall to get to it. The battery boost relay and the 150 amp circuit breaker that feeds your jack DC motor and the generator starter are also on the back side of this circuit board. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Phil,

Do the easiest test first: check to see the voltage across the house batteries, both individually and at the "end of the battery bank (the red wire exiting out of the battery box and the black wire also leaving the box. The batteries will be either 6V or 12v, but there has to be 12V between the ground (frame, black cable) & the hot (red cable).

Be SURE that your meter in set to VDC (Volts, DC) or it may not give you a good reading. Unless you have a heavy duty meter DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MEASURE THE AMPERAGE (unless you want to see you meter act like a fuse and die before your eyes). Anything less than 10V and the system will not work. This includes items like the refrigerator, microwave, water heater and the HVAC.

Note the number of "reset buttons" shown in the diagram. It is a good idea to press them all so that you knoe they are "reset".
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #6

Thanks - Batteries tested bad - totally dead and would not hold a charge - replaced and things back to normal. Generator cranks but would not start - will address that when the snow clears.

Again, Thanks for the help!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boy does that sound familure.... Ok, question do you have the INtelletec Battery control Center (If you have a gasser this may be under the hood, on the driver's side, near the brake master cylinder)

If so,, open that box.. Remove (And mark the location) EVERY five amp fuse you see,, One of them, (only one) is important but I forget which one, I can say it is on the bottom of the unit.

Now, operate the USE switch like 50 times

Replace fuses

Operate switch one more time

If works then you should do one of two thigns.

1: Buy lotto tickets while luck is hot
2: Refrain from buying lotto tickets cause you used up your ration of luck for the week.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #8

I had this happen to me and I had a GFI outlet tripped in the kitchen that was on the same circuit that fed the power to my inverter. It's an easy check
Old 03-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a problem with mine when we were trying to find why my furnace wouldn't work. The light went on when the switch was turned on and then went out and then no 12V. The tech finally figgered out that the relay on the back of the 12V panel in the back had failed. SOoooo, we just jumped around the relay with one size larger wire and away I went. It was really a bit of a hassle to do it, but it was a lot easier than pulling the whole panel and replacing the relay. No problems with anything and now I don't have to worry about the DW pushing the wrong switch when she's trying to close the stepwell cover and shutting off the 12V power. That happened a couple of times when we were on the road and that can be exciting.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect