RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bedroom furnace duct

I have what looks like a regular furnace duct at the bottom of the front bedside table (bed runs sideways), on my 5360 Dolphin, that has cold air coming out of it .
Does anyone know if this is a furnace duct, or some kind of a fresh air duct? If it "is" a furnace duct, it would be the only one on the left side of the motorhome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Might look in the basement and see if some duct work got bumped and dis-connected. Jim

Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We have a 2005, Dolphin 5320 and it's got the same duct that you're describing. I believe ours is round and can be rotated to direct the heat in different directions. It is in fact a heat duct, at least on ours it is. We're in Northern Nevada and we've stayed in the coach in the back yard during the winter when it was in the 20's cold, and windy and never experienced cold air coming out of it. I'd agree with the other post that there might be a hose or duct pipe that has become disconnected somewhere.

Maybe try this. Fire up the furnace and let it get up to operating temperature. Place your hand over any other duct and get a feel for the temp and amount of the air coming out. Then place you hand over the duct outlet in question and see if it feels the same. I'd bet if you don't feel the same warm air as you do from other duct outlets, there's a hose disconnected somewhere.

By the way, your fresh air intake duct should be on the side of the bed, facing the rear of the coach. Just under the bed you'll see a 10x20 air filter. Just lift the bed up. I know this doesn't exactly pertain to your question, but I hope it's maybe helpful info also. When I finally discovered where that filter was, I was blown away. It looked like it was wearing an angora sweater from being so clogged. When I replaced it, the air flow increase was like a stage 2 upgrade on a Harley. It made a huge difference in the speed of cooling and heating.

Hope this is helpful.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #4

Pulled the duct cover off tonite, and there's no hose attached to it, and it's not in the space under the drawer. I do see a 4" or so hole in that space going thru the wall between the bedroom and bathroom, which would be at the lower corner of the tub.
Possibly the hose has come disconected and somehow been pulled thru that hole.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
The dolphin is one down from the troplcal which had the extra heater in the bathroom under the cabinet. it heated the bedroom at that duct. I replaced thebedroom cabinet duct vent in mine with a closed vent option on line for 5bucks.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you might be on the right track, now just find the hose that's supposed to be hooked up. Good luck as we all know how much room there is to work on stuff in a RV. Jim
Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
Good luck as we all know how much room there is to work on stuff in a RV. Jim
You got that right !

Today I aimed a flashlight into the hole between the bedroom & bathroom, and used my mechanic's mirror to have a look in there. No sign of a heating hose, just the bottom of the tub !

Wolfpack Fan..... Does your Dolphin also have a duct in the bathroom, like LandKinaMoho describes?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Wideglide, yes I've got a heater duct in the bathroom. Sounds a little different than the one Landkinamoho describes though. No tub there. Toilet room is on passenger side, shower on the right. There's a duct in the toilet room though. Sounds like maybe your dolphin didn't have heat ducted to the bedroom, but the spot for it was installed. I think there's a bit of a cookie cutter approach with a lot of RV builds. Then if the trim level calls for the particular option, it's easilly installed. Sounds like that might be the case with yours. Maybe the best option is to just close it off to stop the cold air from coming in.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Our 1998 Sea View is exactly the same. There is a vent but no hose attached. I thought maybe it was to let the heat from the bedroom into the area under the tub to keep the pipes from freezing?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
Wideglide, yes I've got a heater duct in the bathroom. Sounds a little different than the one Landkinamoho describes though. No tub there. Toilet room is on passenger side, shower on the right. There's a duct in the toilet room though. Sounds like maybe your dolphin didn't have heat ducted to the bedroom, but the spot for it was installed. I think there's a bit of a cookie cutter approach with a lot of RV builds. Then if the trim level calls for the particular option, it's easilly installed. Sounds like that might be the case with yours. Maybe the best option is to just close it off to stop the cold air from coming in.
Yes, that does appear to be the case. I'll just seal it up.
I do have one functional duct in the bedroom, under the breaker box.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I guess as long as it's comfortable in the bedroom, that's what's important. We actually keep it pretty cool at night in the motorhome and enjoy the costco fleece sheets and a nice thick comforter. Wish there was a programable thermostat for the motorhome, like we've got in house.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #12

I sealed up the dummy furnace hole today !

Just noticed you ride. What do ya ride?

Here's mine.....

Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #13

I've got close to the same money invested in my bike, as I have in the MH !!

Old 10-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
great looking bike! I ride a couch. 05 Ultra. Took it to Sturgis this year behind the Dolphin. Great trip!

Tags
furnace

« Elec Heat | storage »