Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bedroom slide out

The shear pin on my bedroom slide has broken. I got the following advise from "myrvpartsplacestore" about replacing the pin,
"Another option would be to replace the pin with a grade 8 bolt and nut. The bolt should be 1/4” x 1-3/4”, if you decide to go that route. Unfortunately there is no easy way of getting at the gear visually. You’ll need a couple of mirrors and a strong light to be able to see the gear/pin/shaft assembly. The only way to get the best access to the gear is to remove the silver slide out arm from the base. That would require either cutting off the cam rollers over the top of the arm and then grinding down the thickness of the weld nuts that hold the cover in place so the arm can be lifted away. The other method of arm removal requires dismantling the bed so the arm will slide out the end of the base assembly.
It would also be possible to remove the slide out assembly intact, but you would have to enlarge the notch where the arm is attached to the outside of the room framework so the you can get good access to the nuts and bolts."

Has anyone had to replace this pin? This sounds a litle involved to me, I can see the gear with bed up. Does anyone have a better idea?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNDenise View Post
The shear pin on my bedroom slide has broken. I got the following advise from "myrvpartsplacestore" about replacing the pin,
"Another option would be to replace the pin with a grade 8 bolt and nut. The bolt should be 1/4” x 1-3/4”, if you decide to go that route. Unfortunately there is no easy way of getting at the gear visually. You’ll need a couple of mirrors and a strong light to be able to see the gear/pin/shaft assembly. The only way to get the best access to the gear is to remove the silver slide out arm from the base. That would require either cutting off the cam rollers over the top of the arm and then grinding down the thickness of the weld nuts that hold the cover in place so the arm can be lifted away. The other method of arm removal requires dismantling the bed so the arm will slide out the end of the base assembly.
It would also be possible to remove the slide out assembly intact, but you would have to enlarge the notch where the arm is attached to the outside of the room framework so the you can get good access to the nuts and bolts."

Has anyone had to replace this pin? This sounds a litle involved to me, I can see the gear with bed up. Does anyone have a better idea?
There was another thread on this topic on 1-08-10 at this forum. MH - Problems, Solutions & After Market - iRV2 Forums

Hopefully this helps.

By the way what mfg.supplied your slide outs and is it elec. or hydrol.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do a SEARCH from the NRV home page SHEAR PIN you will find alot of information. National used 2 slide manufactures RBW and Power Gear. Sounds like your is RBW. the search should help you out.
Good Luck
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
If you do a SEARCH from the NRV home page SHEAR PIN you will find alot of information. National used 2 slide manufactures RBW and Power Gear. Sounds like your is RBW. the search should help you out.
Good Luck
Richard, you are correct, in 2005 NRV used the RBW product.
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fred,
Just so I will know, on the main room slide was it RBW or Power Gerar in 2005.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slideout pin replacement

Our 2005 Seabreeze has had this problem three times. The first time , it was repaired in Texas using a steel pin, this lasted eight cycles and failed again. This time it was repaired using the correct spiral rollpin. Thi lated a couple of years, then failed again, but only because the pin fell out. This time we were in an RV park on our way to the Albuquerque Balloon festival. We knew that wherever we took it, it would take a few days and cost aboutr $300.00, so we took the bed apart, unscrewed and unbolted the mechanism, lifted it up and found that the pin had just fallen out. I replaced the pin with some goop to hold it in place,and,so far, it works. When I called around to get it fixed the first time I was told by a couple of RV repair places that you must use the correct pin. I thought the place in Texas was using the right pin, but it turned out they weren't
lascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Lascar, I was hoping that someone that had actually replaced the pin would post a reply. I am not sure what you mean by "taking the bed apart". It looks to me that the gear should be able to be moved a little on the shaft, enough maybe to expose the broken pin in the shaft. If I could drive that out, I would then need to realingn the pin in the gear with the hole in the shaft and drive the pin out that way. Of course lining up the holes would be a long shot. I was thinking perhaps if I took a straight edge and marked the location of the hole in the shaft by scratching a line in the shaft that I might be able to line them up horizontally and maybe by marking the shaft before moving the gear I could get it back vertically. Maybe that is a waste of time. My first problem is that the slide is all the way in and I can't get at the assembly without putting out the slide. I pushed it in at the campground when it broke so I could get home.

I have ordered the pins and I am waiting for them to decide how to tackle it again. Unfortuanatly I cannot store the motorhome in my yard, it is in a warehouse in storage. I'll have to go there and work on it, another problem. I hoped to have a better idea what I was getting into before I started.

Thanks, any additional information about taking the bed apart would be appreciated. I don't like the idea that was originally recomended, grinding off nuts, etc.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bedroom slideout

This is the way we fixed ours (we were in an RV Park at the time):
The bedroom was in all the way. First we struggled with, and got the mattress out of the bedroom and into the front room. Then we unscrewed the struts and then the piano hinge from the big board that is the base for the mattress. Fortunately I had a cordless drill. We carried the board out of the bedroom. There were four 1/4-20 nuts on carriage bolts, holding the drive to the bedroom, two in front and two in back. There were eight screws holding the drive to the floor, which were hard to get out. If the screws are phillips head they are really hard to get out.(replace with hex head screws) Once the screws were out, nuts removed, and some wire clips unscrewed I pushed the carriage bolts down and was able to stand the drive on end, line up the holes and put in the pin.
It took us all day, but then, I'm 80 and my wife is 71.
Good luck, you can do it!
lascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks again Lascar, I replaced my broken shear pins yesterday, unfortuantely I thought I could do it better so I didn't follow your advice at first and went down some dead ends. But then I followed your description and it went perfectly. It wasn't that bad of a job. I had my grandson activate the switch while I pushed on the slide and was able to move it far enough out to clear the closet to open the cover over the gears. I found it easier to get to the nuts on the left side by opening the "Secret hidden compartment" and removing the black plastic cover thus exposing the nuts in a way that was easier to get a ratchet on them. Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I just replaced my bedroom slide motor with a replacement . The original set up was a bad design and the motor oscillated then the pin sheared. Replacing was fairly easy, I got the motor from ALKO.

If I can help let me know,
morrowwg is offline   Reply With Quote