Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #1

Bedroom slide shear pin.

We have a 2004 Dolphin 34 ft. coach. The rear bedroom slide shear pin broke and we had a local repair man come out the repair it. I did not see a easy fix to the problem. I figured if he would show me the short cuts, I would be able to fix the next one. He repaired the slide in about an hour including going to get the pin. I paid him $100. and I figured it was some good schooling for me. I now have extra pins just in case.
gseefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I've changed my bedroom pin several times (unfortunately). I can do it in about 15 minutes. I learned from WSRG about applying 'carnauba' wax to the underside of the slide and now it glides in & out nice and smooth. I have several on hand also...just in case. The hardest part is getting the old bones under the bed with tools in hand and flashlight in mouth. I should use my forehead flashlight, but that would be way too easy.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All rv's should come with a forehead flashlight. I thinks it's the best invention since the wheel.
The secret to not shearing the pin on the bedroom slide gear is to make sure that bedroom slide works smoothly, without chunking or shuddering when it goes in or out. The bedroom slide doesn't have rollers like the main slide. It only has nylon bushings that really should not be subjected to the load of the bedroom slide. The wax on the bottom of the slide is the key, but making sure that the slide is aligned on both the outside and inside bushings will keep you from ever having to replace that shear pin ever again.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
I've changed my bedroom pin several times (unfortunately). I can do it in about 15 minutes. I learned from WSRG about applying 'carnauba' wax to the underside of the slide and now it glides in & out nice and smooth. I have several on hand also...just in case. The hardest part is getting the old bones under the bed with tools in hand and flashlight in mouth. I should use my forehead flashlight, but that would be way too easy.
Any additional info on the shear pin replacement you can provide us? where is the pin and how did you replace it? thanks.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
The shear pin is part of the motor assy. that extends and retracts the bedroom slide and it is under the bed. To access the motor you need to remove the drawers that are under the bed. The drawers are on tracts and can be removed by sliding the drawer in & out and pulling with some force on the out stroke several times until the drawer comes completely out. Raise the bed to gain access to the motor assy.
It’s easier to work on the pin with the slide all the way out. If the pin breaks while the slide is in or partially out you can move the slide out by sitting on the floor and bracing your back against the wall and pushing the slide out with your feet. It’s best not to push the slide all the way out, just enough to give you clear access to the motor assy.
The tools I use are a small hammer, 7/32 drill bit or a punch if you have one, flashlight, ¾” wrench, small vise grips, wire cutter, magnet and a ¼ x 1 shear pin.

Use the ¾ wrench to turn the hex head on the motor end until the hole in the gear is at an angle where you can get to it with the drill bit (or punch) and the hammer. On my gear the hole is slightly smaller on one side of the gear so the pin will only come out one way. Move the slide in or out to align the hole in the shaft and the hole in the gear. Using the drill bit and hammer drive out the broken pin. Use the magnet to pick up any pieces of the old pin. Then use the wrench to rotate the gear 180 to align the shaft hole and the gear hole. Use the wire cutters to hold the new pin and start the pin into the gear hole. Use the drill bit to drive the pin until it bottoms out. Check to make sure the slide moves in and out using the wall switch. Install the drawers by placing the center guide in the track and closing the drawer. As you close the drawer you should feel some resistance as the drawer goes in. Push firmly as the drawer goes in to re-lock the guide. You know it’s done right when you open the drawer and it stops before the drawer comes all the way out. If it continues to come all the way out you haven’t properly engaged the guide.

Before you move the slide in go outside and wax the bottom of the slide with “carnauba’ wax. This is the best way to insure you don’t continue to change slide pins. This was WSRG’s suggestion and it works GREAT. Did I mention ‘CARNAUBA’ wax?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1477.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	6613   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1479.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	6614  

Name:	CIMG1487.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	6615   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1481.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	6616  

Name:	CIMG1485.jpg
Views:	1975
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	6617  
Old 11-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #6

Belgian, that worm gear is looking a little rough. Mine looked like that until some teeth broke off, then it was new drive unit replacement time ($$$$).
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
The shear pin is part of the motor assy. that extends and retracts the bedroom slide and it is under the bed. To access the motor you need to remove the drawers that are under the bed. The drawers are on tracts and can be removed by sliding the drawer in & out and pulling with some force on the out stroke several times until the drawer comes completely out. Raise the bed to gain access to the motor assy.
It’s easier to work on the pin with the slide all the way out. If the pin breaks while the slide is in or partially out you can move the slide out by sitting on the floor and bracing your back against the wall and pushing the slide out with your feet. It’s best not to push the slide all the way out, just enough to give you clear access to the motor assy.
The tools I use are a small hammer, 7/32 drill bit or a punch if you have one, flashlight, ¾” wrench, small vise grips, wire cutter, magnet and a ¼ x 1 shear pin.

Use the ¾ wrench to turn the hex head on the motor end until the hole in the gear is at an angle where you can get to it with the drill bit (or punch) and the hammer. On my gear the hole is slightly smaller on one side of the gear so the pin will only come out one way. Move the slide in or out to align the hole in the shaft and the hole in the gear. Using the drill bit and hammer drive out the broken pin. Use the magnet to pick up any pieces of the old pin. Then use the wrench to rotate the gear 180 to align the shaft hole and the gear hole. Use the wire cutters to hold the new pin and start the pin into the gear hole. Use the drill bit to drive the pin until it bottoms out. Check to make sure the slide moves in and out using the wall switch. Install the drawers by placing the center guide in the track and closing the drawer. As you close the drawer you should feel some resistance as the drawer goes in. Push firmly as the drawer goes in to re-lock the guide. You know it’s done right when you open the drawer and it stops before the drawer comes all the way out. If it continues to come all the way out you haven’t properly engaged the guide.

Before you move the slide in go outside and wax the bottom of the slide with “carnauba’ wax. This is the best way to insure you don’t continue to change slide pins. This was WSRG’s suggestion and it works GREAT. Did I mention ‘CARNAUBA’ wax?
Thanks for that! my worm gear has curved teeth like yours, I assume this is normal?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #8

I learned the same way, but my first was more expensive. I have had it happen twice more. My time is down to about 30-45 min.
baustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
the shear pin in our 2005 dolphin broke off under the slide gear drive housing. any ideas how to best get to this one?
esetter3391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What Slide, bedroom or main ? Do you know if it is Powergear or RBW
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
dolphin bedroom slide shear pin

it is the bedroom slide shear pin, the that is located under the long gear driven slide.
it is hard to descripe where the shear pin is located, but it is not the one that can be seen closer to the motor.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
What type of carnauba wax is used on the sides? Any brand name? or just carnauba wax used in polishing?

Esetter3391:
I had the same problem I believe. I believe you're referring to the other shear pin in the rack and pinion gear. If it is this one, it can be replaced but it probably will take a little more work than the previous mentioned pin. In addition to the above tools you'll probably need a mirror and kinda work backwards using the mirror as you practically stand on your head. It's not easy but it can be done. It's also nice to have a helper to hit the drive switch to advance the gear so the holes line up. Knock out the broken pin and replace with a new one.
Good luck.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
thanks, yes you are correct, i had to use a mirror and stand on my head with three arms, one holding the mirror, one holding the flash light and the other with the hammer tapping in the shear pin. working fine now.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I use Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax. It comes in a red plastic bottle. I've applied several coat over several days and the slide is very quiet and smooth. (wax suggested by WSRG)