RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best overall tire pressure for Dolphin 5355

This may seem like a dumb question for someone who has been motorhoming for as long as we have. But here goes 2006 Dolphin 5355 Ford F53 chassis 22k running on 22.5 Michellins with Aluminum Rims. Dealer had them at 85 psi but I ran them up to 95 tires recommend 110. But Iím definetly not overweight An I am looking for a decent ride but a safe pressure. We had a Monaco 36ft for years running 19.5 tires at 95- 100 cold . With never a blowout or significant problem in over 100k miles. Tires on my coach are fairly new but reading all the mishaps people are having. Just wanted to throw this out there for recommendations? Ok what Pressure do you run ????

Glamping2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #2

You just created a long running thread. All tire pressure threads are... anyway here’s my opinion...

Disregard the pressure stated on the tire, as that number is only useful if you are at the load factor also on the tire. It is the MINIMUM tire pressure required to support the rated load.

Start with the placard in the MH placed there by National or Ford or both. Mine has both. If you don’t like the ride with that PSI, (and you think a lower pressure will help) then go get your unit weighed as you normally travel on each axle, four corner weights would be better. You can then look your specific tire size in the Michelin tire chart and perhaps run at a lower psi based on actual weight. Keeping in mind that the PSI numbers in the chart Is again the MINIMUM pressure required to carry the load which may not be optimal when other factors are considered such as tire wear, tire flex, etc.

Other responders may and will have differing thoughts but these are mine.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Yes, start with the placard up front in the left cabinet over the driver. But in truth, you should weigh your coach and see what each axle is carrying. I'm at 80psi on the front, 85psi on the back with my SeaBreezeLX 8321. That is 5psi over the listed psi on the Toyo pressure sheet. And yes, as wildtoad said, this thread might become pretty long...

We can certainly chat about this at the January rally!!!!

Al
FLRosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I recommend weighing both axles of your RV. Our 08 National Dolphin tire pressure label said 95 psi front and 90 psi rear, our model is a different model # but is really a 5355, but on a Workhorse W22 chassis. The bumps seemed harsh at times and these label pressures were higher than our 05 Dolphin. In our case when our RV was weighed with full fuel, 1/2 a tank of water and loaded for a trip, the front axle was 6922 lbs and the rear was 14,131 lbs. Following Michelin's tire pressure chart showed the front could be set at about 75 psi and rear 80 psi. To be on the safe side I run 80 psi front and 85 psi rear. Your RV's weight with the F53 chassis may be different.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #5

Yep, another approach!

Get fully loaded for a trip, top off water and fuel tank. And then get 'Four Corner Weight'. Use the highest weight per axle, and access the Tire Manufacturers PSI chart for your tire and load rating. I personally add 10% contingency on top of the value, and then for ease, round up to the next ending '0' or '5'. (If PSI chart recommends 95PSI x's 10% = 9.5PSI for total of 104.5PSI, round up and use 105PSI.)

This allows for the coach weight creep while traveling, maybe sometimes have to travel with some Grey/Black tank to a dump, but were able top off on water, and if you have full fuel tank - well, you're now heavier then when you weight the coach. And, if on a longer trip, if you lose a few PSI over the trip, our still above the Minimum recommended value...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Old 12-11-2019, 12:00 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We weighed our 06 5355 and were right near capacity. Surprising how fast it adds up. We still have space for stuff too.

That said using the weight measured went too Michelin table and 85 front 90 rear. We run 90 all around. 50k doing that no problems.

2006 Dolphin 5355 Future CC owner
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #7
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get the weights for each axle then use the tire chart. Corner weight would be nice, but axle weight is OK. The weight should be a fully loaded weight, water, food, supplies, etc.

Remember, The tire chart shows the MINIMUM pressure for the weight.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks so much for your input. Some of my considerations on our trip to Florida from Ohio. We are winterized so tanks are empty. I usually leave this winterized until we get down to a warmer climate to purge. When traveling I usually only carry a partial tank of water. Just enough for flushing and washing hands etc. I usually keep 1 or 2 gallons of antifreeze in the black and grey tanks to prevent freezing. So I won’t be carrying much on this trip. Since we just got this motorhome in June of this year the residual overloading common is not in play. We will be in full hook up parks. After first day on road. So my point in all this we are not running heavy. My plaquered in the coach left front cabinet says 19.5 tires but I know this coach came with 22.5 tires. We did take a 300 mile trip this summer with water tank full. Do to a few days dry camping. Tires were at 85 and drove very well. Thanks for your input much to consider.

Glamping2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin, tire pressure