Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #1

Black flying insects in the bathroom

I am currently camping in NW Iowa in my 04 Dolphin. I have had this happen before but not to this extent. When I raise the toilet seat and run water a bunch of black flying insects come out of the toilet. The toilet is holding water so it is sealed. The motorhome is closed up with the AC on. I’m trying to figure out where they are coming from and how to get rid of them! Thanks
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you leave the black tank valve open then sewer flies can come up into your plumbing system. You should put half a tank or more of water in your black tank and 2 cups of bleach flushed down the toilet and let it sit for a few days until nearly full. Leave it for as long as possible, the chlorine gas will kill whatever is living in your tank. Then dump and close the black tank valve, add several gallons of water down the toilet and that should take care of your issue.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I never leave any valves open unless I am dumping and haven’t seen any come out of the actual toilet sewer pipe when I flush but they congregate under the lip of the toilet. The toilet is holding water so if they are sewer flies I can’t figure out how they are getting into the toilet.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We get them in warm weather also. We think they come in thru the window screen. I am convinced I have seen them come thru the screen. Spray the screens and around the stool and see if it helps. That is what we do! Good luck.
And, we never leave the black tank valve open and our stool holds water also.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #5

They will come in through your tank vents on the roof. A vent screen is needed
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
They will come in through your tank vents on the roof. A vent screen is needed

Do they sell vent screens or do I need to make one?
Old 07-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
Do they sell vent screens or do I need to make one?

I’ve not had the problem but other campers have. I know one got screen material at a hardware store.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’m sure this is right they are coming down your vent stack for your waste tank a piece of screen placed over the stack should solve this.
Glamping2 is offline   Reply With Quote