Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #1

At least I think it is. Ever since our last trip, the inside of the coach smells like the black tank. A pungent odor. It seems to be strongest in front of the bathroom. It is not coming from any sinks as I put my nose in the sinks to smell.
At the end of a weekend, I always do a fresh water flush of the black tank, add some water and a fresh set of chemicals so the new chemicals can work on the way home and I don't need to do it when we get to the next campground.
Anyone know if there is any panel or access point in which to see if my black vent tube is connected well? Anyway to check to make sure the vent is not plugged at the tank area?

Any suggestions would be helpful
Thanks
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #2

At least I think it is. Ever since our last trip, the inside of the coach smells like the black tank. A pungent odor. It seems to be strongest in front of the bathroom. It is not coming from any sinks as I put my nose in the sinks to smell.
At the end of a weekend, I always do a fresh water flush of the black tank, add some water and a fresh set of chemicals so the new chemicals can work on the way home and I don't need to do it when we get to the next campground.
Anyone know if there is any panel or access point in which to see if my black vent tube is connected well? Anyway to check to make sure the vent is not plugged at the tank area?

Any suggestions would be helpful
Thanks
Old 12-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I saw a TV show about RV maintenance where they dumped a 10 pound bag of ice in the commode just before they pulled out of camp. The ice supposedly will knock loose the stuck on stuff. When it melts you just drain it like normal.

I intend to add a RV 360 Sanitation Vent like this one to my vent pipe. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...on-Vent/skunum=26177

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found my gray tank to be much more odorous then the black.

The reason I believe, is that I am more reluctant to use chemicals in the gray tank due to experiences with the original level detection system used by NRV.

We go to extremes to not get food solids mixed in with any sink gray water.

I also use an external trap formed with a purposeful dip in the dump hose before it reaches the sanitary drains when we have hook ups.

For extended stays with sanitary hook ups,I find I can leave the gray water gate open for unlimited drainage of the gray tank until it is time to dump the black. At that time the gray gate is closed and the tank is filled with long shower water usage or just fresh water.

In this way I avoid accumulating the parks sewer gases into the gray tank.

I have also had the P trap under the bath shower drain break allowing leakage into the basement and awful odors in the electrical panel next to the bath wall.

Behind this panel is access to the gray vent pipe going to the roof in my floor plan.

Also The black vent pipe to the roof in my plan is located in space accessible from several panels that are attached with screws in the bathroom corner closest to the toilet.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #5

One thing to check is the flapper seal on the toilet. It is possible that something is causing the flapper not to seal properly. I had the problem recently, but in my case it was due to the seal becoming hard due to age and not sealing completely.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M&EM:
I have found my gray tank to be much more odorous then the black. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, this is why I add chemicals to the gray tank on a regular basis, much easier than trying to run down the source of the odor. In my case it's the plumging for optional W/D.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We had the same problem with our 2004 Dolphin. Had two problems, 1. the gray tank vent pipe wasn't sealed where it exits the roof, 2. the vent pipe behind the breaker box in the hall had a bad connection at one of the joints. After 3 times to NRV they finally got it fixed. They resealed the roof opening and the vent pipe, and resealed the joint with a bunch of glue. They told me they pressurized the gray tank & vents with smoke to find the leak in the tubing. Haven't had a problem since.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #8

Mike, I had the same problem on my '01
Turned out to be the seal between the toilet and floor flange. I have had replace it two times.
(my is the Sea-Land unit) Hope this helps.

Also just installed the wind vane looking thing on the vent stack on the roof. Helps keep a positive draw on the vents while traveling or sitting in even a lite wind.

Harold

'01 Nat'l RV, Tropical 33' Ford V10
H. Dossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #9

I was thinking of the roof vent thingie as a addition.
We did have our toilet replaced under warranty because the porcelain was cracked from the manufacturer.I guess I should take a look at the seal also. We have a Sea Land also. The previous camp out, we left the little water that remains after a flush and that turned brown so we now empty the water in the toilet. I will have to try to see where the vent tubes are also.
Thanks all. I have some investigating to do.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a picture of a vent under your sink that has caused people problems scrool down to vent.Picture of vent
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Mike & Linda,

I chased what I thought (and the dealer did as well) was a black tank odor in my 2007 Tropi-Cal T330 coach for more than a couple months. Checking the vents, cleaning, flushing, and deodorizing the tanks. After no positive results, and no luck hunting it down, my wife stepped into the motorhome one day and said it smelled like it could be LP gas to her. It turned out to be a leak in the storage bay at the water heater connection, and it was leaking up through the tiny openings in the bathroom and by the refrigerator. The dealer doubted it was a gas probelm until he hooked a tester on the range and found the leak by detecting low gas pressure. Sounds to me like you have the same problem I did. Let me know if that fixes it for you.

Master Chief
MasterChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mike & Linda, if its a LP gas leak you should hear the LP detector sounding off.
When I got my coach the detector didn't work because the dealer did not know where the 1amp fuse was. I found it a bundle of wiring near fire wall. LP can smell like rotten eggs or cabbage so be careful.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:48 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After reading the responses to your question the past two days I realized that "Dah" I had the same problem. The smell was coming from the bathroom area. I tried changing chemicals and flushing, flushing, flushing. In the cargo area below the bathroom I removed the plastic shroud hiding the black holding tank and found that the joint where the black plastic pipe from the toilet connects to the holding tank was leaking. The was a small molded low spot in the take at the union so it was holding "stuff" from the toilet. The joint had a sealant on it but it was leaking through. I used ProFlex to cure the problem. I couldn't get a caulking gun back to the joint so I use the clear quart can of it. I put on a protective plastic glove and dipped my finger into the ProFlex. With time and patience I was able to get a good coat of sealant around the joint and have no more leaks. It took several applications as your have to wait several hours between coats. Every now and then I remove the plastic shroud and inspect the area for leaks. I don't know where the shroud on you coach is but you might want to locate and remove it. It looks like your coach is under warranty so I would have the dealer replace everything if this is your problem. My coach was out of warranty and I have found that fixing problems yourself is faster and better then having the dealer do it.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #14

Thanks all for the suggestions. As for the LP gas leak, I know this cannot be the issue(thank goodness). When we get home, one of my parking steps is to close the valve to the LP Tank. The smell did not start for more than a week after the coach had been sitting with the LP tank off. With the suggestion of the valve under the sink,I let the coach 'ferment' during the week and I am beginning to think it is grey tank odors. The smell does nto smell like when we empty the black tank. It seems to smell more pungent like when I have roro rootered my sink drains.
SO, I went in tonight and it seems strongest around the kitchen sink. I even opened up the door under the sink and it still smelled strong under that area where the valve is. Tonight I put some water and freshening chemicals (for grey and black tanks) into the grey tank through both the kitchen sink and the bathroom sink. Tomorrow I will venture into the coach and see if the smell is better and I will take a look at that valve. I will figure this out with everyone's help.
Thank you again.