RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #1

Brake light on dash

I have a 2001 Tropical 38 ft w tag axle. I live up a mountain. I have not gone far but when travelling 200 miles thru mountains my brake light comes on every time I accelerate up a hill. Never down or on flat road? I thought it was the floor pedal but checked and it is ok and of course it is only uphill. I have a Ford F53 (V10) with banks trans kit and HP increase pipes. I have disc brakes on each axle and they are like new. I have drums on the tag axle and they are working.
It is like the light is supposed to come when accelerating uphill but that can't be. Where to look?

Gary

g-cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #2

The problem may be a warning for low brake fluid level in the reservoir.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #3

That is what I thought at first. When I purchased my mh reservoir was low. I filled it up and have driven it a couple of times since and it still does it? It is weird only when accelerating uphill that stumps me?

Gary
Old 10-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

Gary. I have a 2000 F53 Tropical with the same issue if you are referring to the red not amber ABS lamp. I have replaced the reservoir , checked fluid level in tag master cylinder and checked cruise control brake switch on main master cylinder. That brake switch on mine has been replaced due to a recall . I don't know if the recall applies to yours, you might want to check. My next step is to check parking brake switch circuit The schematic I have found shows nothing related to tag axle but there could be some connection. All my comments are based on the idea that your brakes are otherwise normal. If you find a resolution please post it and I will do likewise. Fred
Old 10-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #5

red brake light

Yes Fred. Thanks for the info. It is the red light just like when the emergency brake is applied. I have not checked the brake switch on master cylinder so I will. Yes my brakes work well. Can you post the schematic you found as it would make life easier

Gary
Old 10-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THat happened in my 2001 Dodge Neon too.

Low on brake fluid.. I mean given enough time and miles, IT can run down a bit. The sensor (on mine) is in the front of the master chylinder tank so if I put the pedal to the metal, or go up a steep hill, the fluid moves to the rear of the tank and the sensor says DING DING DINE LOW ON BRAKE FLUID. I topped it off a few days back and not a dang ding since.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #7

Gary, I have not been able to find that schematic however from what I remember it has 2 switches. The level sensor in the reservoir and the parking brake switch. I would suggest wiggle testing all wiring to these switches. Another possible place to look is the leveling jack system , which requires that the parking brake be applied before leveling. I don't know if there is a module that the switches are an input to and the park brake signal an output from. I will try to gather more info and find the schematics. Fred
Old 10-16-2014, 01:39 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Add me to the list of those that have this problem. Mine is a 99 Tropical and it too happens only on the uphills. I have checked the brake fluid level which is fine. My brakes seem fine as well so hearing that others have the issue and since none of us seem to be crashing through cliff barriers, I presume it is something related to the actual design of the sensor, the reservoir or some such thing. If anyone has the solution, I would be all ears.

Tags
brake, dash