Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Brake pedal sticking

Greetings Happy Campers.
My trusty 2004 National Dolphin 34' is harassing me again. This time the brake pedal fails to retract completely leaving about 1 inch that needs to be lifted or the brake lights stay on.
I'm just a wee bit large to get under the dash to see if the brake light switch may have shifted positions and raised up to far.
Wondering if any kind hearted souls out there may have a solution for me. If so I would be very grateful. Thanks Guys and Girls.

A side note to Dolphin owners. Any rain at all would cause the water to intrude over the work station on the right side. Up on the roof to my amazement I found the front end cap had a gap where it mated to the body. ALL the screws had rusted out. Turns out the factory workers when installing the front cap used regular DRYWALL screws. I know it wasn't done after leaving the factory because I bought the coach 4 weeks after completion. Just a heads up.
edrudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrudd View Post
Greetings Happy Campers.
My trusty 2004 National Dolphin 34' is harassing me again. This time the brake pedal fails to retract completely leaving about 1 inch that needs to be lifted or the brake lights stay on.
I'm just a wee bit large to get under the dash to see if the brake light switch may have shifted positions and raised up to far.
Wondering if any kind hearted souls out there may have a solution for me. If so I would be very grateful. Thanks Guys and Girls.
edrudd
Where are you and your rig located...(I don't even see your rig from here).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lube the brake linkage pivot under the hood.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2004 I had to install a grease cert on the brake bell crank, they hang up, I believe they became factory installed the next year?? This is a tough DIY, but i did it, the bell crank was behind a steel plate so I was working by feel. If you are close to Portland Or. I could help out.. You might do a search on this and the Workhorse forum for bell crank for instructions.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #5

My 2002 Itasca Suncruiser (Workhorse) was easy. Open the front hood, have someone work the brake peddle so you can see the linkage pivot points, and give them a shot of WD-40.
twier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pretty sure you or a more svelte helper needs to adjust the brake switch....
Old 09-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #7

Thank you for your reply. I believe you have the right solution but I don't have the time to start that fix at the moment. The wife is in a hurry to get to Gold Beach, Or. where a friend has purchased an RV park and the wife is going to go up and help. What I did do is spray a lot of Silicone lube up where the pedal pivots and this seems to help for now. It took a bit but with the engine cover off I could reach in to spray. Now to get my body back in shape. Thanks again.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #8

Hello Mel. at the moment I'm in Fallbrook, Ca. but the wife is taking the M H to Oregon shortly.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Did spray under the dash with Silicone lube. Helped some. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #10

Hello. Open the front and see the Radiator but nothing else. Brake master cyl. etc. so I removed the engine cover and could reach under the dash and sprayed silicone lube all over where the pedal pivots. Seems to have helped.
Thanks for your reply and suggestion.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #11

For sure.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #12

To all that took time to reply to my problem, Many many thanks. Just shows how great this web site is.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:17 PM   #13

Thank you all that replied to my pedal problem. Turns out I had a bad switch. I also learned the next time I need to get under the dash I'll call one of my Grandsons.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #14

Hi edrudd, me again.
I have an 03 Dolphin and had the same problem. My brake servo would stay activated. The dealers recommend adding a zerk on the pivot shaft and I thought, yeah, right. I looked around in my box of springs and found one like an old throttle spring. Hooked it around the brake shaft and the bottom of the steering column and it works fine. No tools required and installs in under a minute.
ChasRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake