Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Angry Broken slide/cut gas line

We have a Nat. Dolphin 2001 37'. Our kitchen is on the slide. Big mistake. Too much weight on it. We have owned it 6 months. The slide broke 1st time out and also cut the flexible gas line to the stove. OK had it fixed. A few days later the slide went again. OK had it fixed. This week six months later the slide broke and cut the gas line again. This is dangerous and I just want to know if any one else who has this layout has experienced this. Any solutions? We are in NJ right now and have to go back to Forida to do something with this. No one will touch it when they hear "gas line". Thank you if you know something. papillon2
papillon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So far my kitchen slide is working fine.. My suggestion is to find a knowleagble slide mechanic, might be worn bearings, or gears or misalignment.. then have a prophane person fix the gas line. Not seeing it I can not picture how it is cutting the gas line. Hopefully someone in your area will post an RV mechanic recommendation.
donhoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Hi,

I have an 05 Tropical with the long Galley slide. The only issue I have had is with the nylon slide rub strips coming off which causes the slide to drop too low. It pulled off my bottom dust seal. I pulled the dust seal and metal covers off and installed a few furniture teflon slides on the bottom of the slide and have had no further problems.

Can you explain what you mean by "broke"? What happened to the slide assembly?

Duane
Old 11-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
'broke'

What I mean by broke is slide went out and we heard a pop and then it stopped. We had to push it back in and brace it inside so it would not come out in transit. As it went out it cocked and cut gas line. papillon2
papillon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Wow, that is catastrophic faliure! After having it fixed once and and then it breaks again must be frustrating.

My slides have a Powergear system. The slide is bolted to the two (front and rear)slide geared rail on the outer edge These rails are the main supports fro the slide. Had the slides adjusted in July as they were low when closed. Right now, the slides tilt to the outside when starting to close and the kitchen/galley slide rides on the tile floor and front rug as it comes in. Once in all the way it seats itself against the slide outer seals. When all the way out, it lifts up into place by the actuator rail when it hits the lower outer seal and the actuator forces the outer edge up until it seats it self on the top inner slide seal.

Obviously, I don't know your specific system. On mine the only way for the slide to slide out by itself is if the motor gear shear pin breaks. The two rails have a "driveshaft" across the top of the storage bays that connect the front and rear actuator motors. The way it is setup, either the front or rear motor will drive both actuator rails in and out.

Try emailing Powergear and see what their techs can offer. I contacted them when I found my slide rub strips missing and they responded the next day.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There obviously is something wrong with the slide or the design! We've had two Dutch Stars with the galley in a slide and haven't had any failures of any kind.

Our gas line uses a flexible hose under the slide held into an articulated arm so it flexes in an arc and not at one point, plus the arm is "U" shaped to protect the line. Maybe they need to change the design somehow to prevent breaking the line!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We have a 1999 Tradewinds with the kitchen in the slide and haven't had any problems at all. Yours doesn't need a design change just repaired. Too many coaches with this setup are out there for this to be a design problem. Certainly we would have heard of it before if it were a chronic design error. This is the first I’ve heard of this problem.
Dick

Tags
gas