RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

Cable routing for rear camera

I bought a new rear view camera system that i will start installing tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone knows the best way, or just any way, to make replacing the cable to the rear camera easy. I have not looked at anything but just mentally planning from the couch right now. Planning to run underneath along the frame to the cabin if I can get the cable from the existing camera location to underneath.

2004 SeaBreeze on Ford Chassis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same coach. Last year I installed a new rear view system. I dropped the cable down the hole and ran it along the frame and up through the floor near the gas petal. The floor is very thin and fragile in that area. Be sure to secure the cable good. Very easy job.

Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Curiosity makes me ask why you can't use the old cable?

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
I have the same coach. Last year I installed a new rear view system. I dropped the cable down the hole and ran it along the frame and up through the floor near the gas petal. The floor is very thin and fragile in that area. Be sure to secure the cable good. Very easy job.
Great to hear. I was just worried about making the drop from the camera mount to under the chassis. sounds like its not that bad.

I am going to try to make a 2 camera system with another camera mounted under the passenger mirror for lane changes. My 2015 Accord has this feature and I have grown to love it. Thought that it would be nice on the Motorhome as well

Did you mount your new monitor in the existing opening for the monitor? I want to mount it there but its unlikely that it is the same size. I am thinking that I may take the entire piece off (monitor and dash vent housing) and wrap it in vinyl so I can adjust the hole size for the monitor and also take care of some rattles as well.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:45 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I mounted in the same hole. A difficult fob getting the old monitor out as I am no longer agile. There was a gap maybe 1/4" inch on the side I cut some black plastic and super glued in place. Finished job looks like factory install.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:48 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Curiosity makes me ask why you can't use the old cable?

Jon
I bought entire system off e-bay for about $86.00. I am satisfied with it but cables are different. I tried different adapters but did not find one that worked.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
I bought entire system off e-bay for about $86.00. I am satisfied with it but cables are different. I tried different adapters but did not find one that worked.
Just an update to this for future searchers.

I remove the old camera off the rear and attempted to run the new cable down and under the vehicle. there is a gap about 4-5" between the rear interior wall and the fiberglass outside so there is plenty of room in there. However, at least on mine, there was a piece of OSB that was completely blocking anything from making the drop to the undercarriage.

What I did was to remove the driver's side marker light (the top one) and there was a hole drilled in the OSB for the light's wiring to make the decent to the wire loon under the carriage. I was able to force the silicone out of the hole and use a wire fish through the removed light opening up to the camera opening and then pull the cable through. Ran the cable through the OSB in the same hole with the light's wiring and then the LONG run up to the front.

I ended up running the cable into the cabin under the passenger floorboard along with the heater vacuum and wires for the heater coolant valve.

Not a hard job at all but took some time.

To fill the gap for the monitor, I made a piece of MDF that fits in the bexel opening and will wrap it with vinyl tomorrow. There should be a little room underneath to add some future switches maybe.

I post a picture when I get done with it.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #8

PS Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #9

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/TE2nSgNYW0A
Old 02-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #10

Visit us at operationsaferoad.com or contact me at 800-479-9945 ext 132 ask for Carlos!
Old 03-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #11

Here is the finished product.

Used the Aux switch on the left side of the dash to switch cameras between the rear view and the camera I mounted on the passenger mirror to see down the right side for blind spot lane changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160228_135853.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	120318  
Old 03-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Nicely done. Do you have any pictures of the camera mounting locations?

Tags
camera