Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Carpet in Bedroom

Now that I'm done with the front of the MH, my wife has decided that we need new carpet in the bedroom. For this I don't think I can use the Carpet tiles like I did in the front. This is because of the engine access panel between the closet and bed. The carpet is wrapped around the edges of the panel. The boss wants Berber, so has anyone done this, or did you get someone to do it?? There is no way I can do it and do a heat seam on each side of the bed. Also, doesn't the carpet have to be streatched?? Any thoughts out there????????

Lowes wouldn't even think of starting it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Joe... I had to chuckle when I read the title of your post because as I type I am taking a break from replacing the carpet in the bedroom of my DP.

I don't think I have the same challenge however since engine access on mine is by lifting the entire bed so I don't have to be concerned with an access panel or heat seam.

I've also replaced ALL of the carpet in our coach... with the exception of the strips which are on the two front slide floors and the "step/platform" in the bedroom between the bed and rear closet. So, I don't take it all the way across the floor.

We just bought various sizes of throw/area/runner rugs via Walmart on line... cut several to the size needed to cover the slide floors and held them down with either carpet tape or staples. I had researched products to "bind" the cut edges but it turns out I didn't need it because I used the bound edges of the area rugs I cut wherever I needed exposed edge.

We used matching throw/area/runner rugs over the Allure flooring we had replaced the old carpet with... added a few matching accent pillows on the sofa and voila!

I've just learned that the old carpet on the bedroom step/platform is glued down so I'm just going to put the new rug over the top of it and staple it down to the wooded sub-structure. There's really no foot traffic to speak of anywhere but the step/platform and that's only when DW gets in or out of bed or when we access the closet. I think when wall to wall carpet is installed in a home it needs to be stretched to avoid wrinkles but on mine the areas covered are so small this isn't a problem at all.

Again, it may not help with your situation but we full time with three dogs and it sure makes it nice to be able to carry the throw rugs outside... shake them out... and sweep/mob the entire floor!

Best of luck to you...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
What if I was to get a piece of carpet the width and depth of the bedroom and cut and lay it around the bed all in one piece. The excess from the middle could be used for the side strips for the engine hump between the bed and closet, cut to fit and staple. Then do the same to the engine cover. So Rick, you don't think I need to stretch the carpet like they do in the S&B?? Should I take out the old pad and carpet or just lay over it, might be real cushy.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
What if I was to get a piece of carpet the width and depth of the bedroom and cut and lay it around the bed all in one piece. The excess from the middle could be used for the side strips for the engine hump between the bed and closet, cut to fit and staple. Then do the same to the engine cover. So Rick, you don't think I need to stretch the carpet like they do in the S&B?? Should I take out the old pad and carpet or just lay over it, might be real cushy.

It makes sense to me that a piece of carpet roughly that size would be enough carpet. Let me clarify too that I am still in the middle of my first project on this so have no experience either. And I think a big caveat' is that I'm not putting the carpet anywhere we have any real foot traffic. But from what I've seen so far, if I were to carpet my bedroom floor I would think that I could "stretch" it enough by hand since I don't really think I'd have any span greater than 6' or so. One thing to make sure you understand with whatever type of carpet you choose is what you're going to do with exposed edges if you have any. I would think that wherever you have a cut edge you'd need to either cover it with some sort of transition strip or be able to make sure it won't unravel on you.

As for putting it over the old carpet, I decided to do that on the bedroom "step/platform" when I learned that the old carpet was glued to the flooring and then verified the sub floor would accept staples... ie: it's wood. I saw no point in scrapping off all the old carpet but it seemed logical to just use it as a pad and staple the new carpet to the floor right through it. I think it'll provide a bit more insulation too. If I were to be covering the bedroom floor I would probably opt to remove the carpet and either reuse the old pad or replace it with a good thick one.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
We replaced the carpet in the bedroom last year, purchased a piece big enough for the whole bedroom and then cut out for the bed/engine cover. I removed all the old carpet and pad then hired a local carpet guy to install the new carpet. He stapled/nailed where necessary and did a folded edge where it met the tile. I don't think you want to install new carpet over the old unless it's really hard to get the old carpet removed. I understand that RickO had a special situation. Our carpet guy did a minimal amount of stretching and everything looks good after almost a year.